2 of 2
Acupuncture
Posted: 04 June 2013 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2239
Joined  2012-10-27
FinallyDecided - 04 June 2013 05:30 AM
asanta - 03 June 2013 04:37 PM

Acupuncture can have very real negative results. Most Accupuncturists don’t wear gloves when piercing the skin. I would lose my job were I to have such poor technique. Not sure if the put alcohol on the skin to clean it before placing the needle, but that could be the source of infection, which IS a complication. So are pneumothoraxes from the needle piercing the lung, which doesn’t take much if you are a thin person.

Good point to consider. I’ve consider acupuncture as I’ve had massage therapy that was helpful. I would want to make sure the acupunturist was safe and sterile. I’ve watched youtube vids on it to see how it was done and come to think of it, the guy doing the demo was not wearing gloves. Hopefully the needles are sterile!

Which wouldn’t make much difference if the hands are contaminated!

Lois

Posted: 04 June 2013 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2750
Joined  2011-11-04

... I’ve consider acupuncture as I’ve had massage therapy that was helpful. I would want to make sure the acupunturist was safe and sterile. I’ve watched youtube vids on it to see how it was done and come to think of it, the guy doing the demo was not wearing gloves. Hopefully the needles are sterile!

If I were considering getting accupuncture vs. massage, I would spend my time and money on massage.  I know that massage feels really good, even if it does nothing else.  And what we’re hearing here is that pretty much any benefit from accupuncture is attributable to placebo effects.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 04 June 2013 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
TimB - 04 June 2013 10:53 AM

... I’ve consider acupuncture as I’ve had massage therapy that was helpful. I would want to make sure the acupunturist was safe and sterile. I’ve watched youtube vids on it to see how it was done and come to think of it, the guy doing the demo was not wearing gloves. Hopefully the needles are sterile!

If I were considering getting accupuncture vs. massage, I would spend my time and money on massage.  I know that massage feels really good, even if it does nothing else.  And what we’re hearing here is that pretty much any benefit from accupuncture is attributable to placebo effects.

I’d get a massage too. It feel sooooo relaxing. I don’t expect it to cure anything, but it makes me feel wonderful!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

2 of 2