1 of 2
Would you affix the Darwin or similar image to your vehicle?
Posted: 03 June 2013 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06

We’ve most all likely seen the Jesus fish emblem on vehicles. I kind of want the EVOLVE or Darwin fish satire emblem just to make a statement, but at the same time,I don’t want to do something that is inflammatory. Do you consider this type of satire a mere act of being inflammatory or have not issue with it?

charles-darwin-1.jpg

Posted: 03 June 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

Um, that has the Registered Trademark symbol. On what? “Darwin” is clearly not trademarkable.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 03 June 2013 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-11-06
TromboneAndrew - 03 June 2013 09:43 PM

Um, that has the Registered Trademark symbol. On what? “Darwin” is clearly not trademarkable.

I don’t know.

It’s probably the entire emblem and stylized design that is trademarked, not the concept or word “Darwin.”

Posted: 04 June 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
FinallyDecided - 03 June 2013 08:58 PM

We’ve most all likely seen the Jesus fish emblem on vehicles. I kind of want the EVOLVE or Darwin fish satire emblem just to make a statement, but at the same time,I don’t want to do something that is inflammatory. Do you consider this type of satire a mere act of being inflammatory or have not issue with it?

charles-darwin-1.jpg

I have a Darwin Fish glued to my glove compartment door. I don’t want my car trashed by religious crazies who might do anything to a car with a symbol they don’t like, most of them being such good christians and all.

Lois

Posted: 04 June 2013 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3253
Joined  2011-08-15

I have the “evolve” fish below my rear window evolution of man sticker placed where the soccer moms have their Johnny and Joanie stick figures. I will not however put the ” Calvin pissing on the cross” sticker anywhere on my car if I value my life. Xtians can be soooo testy, but don’t mind a rebel flag on their bumpers.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 04 June 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  2011-11-04

Put the evolve symbol on your car, if you want, but also put a Navy Seals bumper sticker near it, so as to confuse and discourage potential vandals.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 04 June 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Only put it on your car if you are a very good driver, and are willing to be extremely courteous, otherwise you run the risk of alienating some who may be on the fence.  Example: A woman who lives a few blocks from me is obviously extremely liberal from the eight or ten bumper stickers she has on the back of her car.  However, she’s a terrible driver.  I’ve been on the road a few times when she would whiz by cutting in and out of lanes with no regard for the people she made hit their brakes.  I’m sure many who didn’t know anything about Obama/ Global Warming/ Afganistan/ the environment, etc. got some negative feelings about them as she shoved her car into the small gap between them and the car ahead.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 June 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3253
Joined  2011-08-15

On the practical side there is such a thing as overkill. Putting too many bumper stickers on your car can be a major distraction to those who try to read them. Unless the car is completely stopped the myopic among us, me included as I like to read them, might be distracted to the point of an accident. My favorite BTW is the “Noexist” sticker spelled out in religious symbols as a parody of the “coexist” sticker.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 04 June 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  2011-11-04

I have very rarely ever put bumper stickers or symbols on the cars I have owned.  And I have not been involved in a collision of any sort for many many years, EXCEPT for “08.  That year, I had an Obama bumper sticker and state issued license plates that had the numbers 666.  (I didn’t request that.  It’s just what they sent me.)  That year I was involved in two collisions.  The 1st, I was sitting at a red light and was hit from behind.  The 2nd, I was going through a green light and a van came speeding through the corresponding crossroad red light in front of me. I have pretty good reflexes in driving, and was able to ALMOST avoid any contact.  Almost.  The van kept on going.  I thought I had heard something, but hadn’t felt an impact.  When I got out and looked, it eventually registered to me that my front 666 license plate had been ripped off, (I assume by catching in the right part of the rear bumper of the van as it sped on). I never saw that front license plate again.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 04 June 2013 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24
FinallyDecided - 03 June 2013 08:58 PM

charles-darwin-1.jpg

I would not put one on my vehicle.

I think some will find it offensive no matter how subtle it’s shown on the vehicle, but it likely won’t start much trouble - unless you live in an extremely religious area, perhaps.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 June 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2012-04-25

I don’t put things like that on my car because there are too many nutjob Xtians out there who would think nothing of ripping it off, or damaging your car, without the slightest bit of guilt. 

BUT if I did put bumper stickers on, mine would read “Jesus Even Loves Christians”. wink

Posted: 05 June 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  624
Joined  2013-06-01

First time I saw the Darwin fish, I thought it was cool and it made me laugh.

A symbol of free expression.

But there is no way I would put on my vehicles for fear of damage from the Christians.

I think the Christians see it as a deicide icon.

Posted: 05 June 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22
TimB - 04 June 2013 06:21 PM

Put the evolve symbol on your car, if you want, but also put a Navy Seals bumper sticker near it, so as to confuse and discourage potential vandals.

In my case it is a 716th MP - Viet Nam sticker; works very well, also keeps the cops off my butt.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 05 June 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I just don’t put things on my car. Never have, probably never will.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 June 2013 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
CuthbertJ - 05 June 2013 10:31 AM

I don’t put things like that on my car because there are too many nutjob Xtians out there who would think nothing of ripping it off, or damaging your car, without the slightest bit of guilt. 

BUT if I did put bumper stickers on, mine would read “Jesus Even Loves Christians”. wink

The one I might use for fun (and have seen) is: Lord, protect me from your followers. LOL (Although that does imply a belief I don’t have… So I probably wouldn’t actually put it on my vehicle.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 06 June 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-11-06
asanta - 05 June 2013 03:23 PM

I just don’t put things on my car. Never have, probably never will.

I actually think vehicles are much more aesthetically appealing without adornment, but I do like the idea of making my statement for people to see. Problem is, it is in issue when trading the car in or selling because such emblems are pretty permanent.

1 of 2