10 of 30
Whoa!  Lay Off the Vitamins!
Posted: 27 June 2013 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-02-02
VYAZMA - 27 June 2013 11:46 AM
Coldheart Tucker - 07 June 2013 05:51 PM

People taking vitamin supplements can have a dramatically increased risk of death.

In October 2011, researchers from the University of Minnesota found that women who took supplemental multivitamins died at rates higher than those who didn’t. Two days later, researchers from the Cleveland Clinic found that men who took vitamin E had an increased risk of prostate cancer.

These findings weren’t new. Seven previous studies had already shown that, for certain groups, some vitamins increased the risk of cancer and heart disease, and shortened lives.

Much more at the link.  In short, unless you’re taking vitamins for a few specific conditions, you’re screwing yourself.  Possibly fatally.

What about this statement?  What about somebody who visits this forum who is taking vitamins as prescribed by their doctor and reads this?
And they see “fatally”? So they stop taking their vitamins because they put more faith in this forum than they do in their doctor?
I didn’t notice any concern about this.
The thread title could have been more accurately labeled…“Whoa!  Lay off of mega-doses of vitamin E!”
No it was…“lay off of vitamins!.....fatal!”

You mean the statement where it says, “Unless you’re taking vitamins for a few specific conditions”?  That one?  Which should lead a reasonable person to conclude that if they’ve been prescribed vitamins, they probably should be taking them.  But you know what, if you go to any message board and decide to do something because of what you’ve read there, which could have serious medical consequences, without consulting your doctor, then you deserve a Darwin Award.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 27 June 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Except for the fact that if one is taking moderate amounts of vitamins…they aren’t screwing themselves..fatally or otherwise.
There’s that.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 27 June 2013 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Joined  2012-02-02
VYAZMA - 27 June 2013 04:21 PM

Except for the fact that if one is taking moderate amounts of vitamins…they aren’t screwing themselves..fatally or otherwise.
There’s that.

Neither here nor there in the context of what you said.  You raised the issue of someone being so foolish as to ignore their doctor’s advice based on something they read on the internet.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

Posted: 27 June 2013 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Coldheart Tucker - 27 June 2013 04:38 PM

There’s that.

Neither here nor there in the context of what you said.  You raised the issue of someone being so foolish as to ignore their doctor’s advice based on something they read on the internet.

Coldheart-In short, unless you’re taking vitamins for a few specific conditions, you’re screwing yourself.  Possibly fatally.

This is sensationalism. And it isn’t correct. It flat out isn’t correct as stated.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 27 June 2013 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Joined  2012-02-02
VYAZMA - 27 June 2013 06:17 PM

There’s that.

Coldheart-In short, unless you’re taking vitamins for a few specific conditions, you’re screwing yourself.  Possibly fatally.

This is sensationalism. And it isn’t correct. It flat out isn’t correct as stated.

And your medical qualifications are?  We’ve had two medical professionals in this thread say that it isn’t a good idea, plus the article I linked into in the OP which provided citations to the various medical studies it referenced.  Or are you basing your statements on the fact that you’ve yet to wind up dead from taking a multi-vitamin?  By that logic, the cigarettes I smoke are harmless, since I’m still breathing.

Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2013 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Coldheart Tucker - 27 June 2013 06:24 PM

There’s that.

And your medical qualifications are?  We’ve had two medical professionals in this thread say that it isn’t a good idea, plus the article I linked into in the OP which provided citations to the various medical studies it referenced.  Or are you basing your statements on the fact that you’ve yet to wind up dead from taking a multi-vitamin?  By that logic, the cigarettes I smoke are harmless, since I’m still breathing.

Well I can easily cite medical professionals and articles that say they are good. So who do I believe?
Like I said on page one…when the FDA pulls them off the shelves..then I’ll believe it.
And honestly, yes I am basing much of my statements on the fact that I haven’t wound up dead yet from vitamins.
You should have just toned down the sensationalism a bit. Then we could have all discussed the dangers of mega-dosing vitamins.
Instead you wrote this:

In short, unless you’re taking vitamins for a few specific conditions, you’re screwing yourself.  Possibly fatally.

Seeing as how half the population is taking vitamin supplements, if I read the statistics correctly, that’s alot of people screwing themselves.
Every day people have to read about the next carcinogenic substance that’s in their daily diet. It’s all just pulp-sales.
I trust the FDA…they will disseminate this info accordingly.

Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2013 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Joined  2012-02-02
VYAZMA - 27 June 2013 06:48 PM
Coldheart Tucker - 27 June 2013 06:24 PM

There’s that.

Well I can easily cite medical professionals and articles that say they are good. So who do I believe?

so cite ‘em.

Like I said on page one…when the FDA pulls them off the shelves..then I’ll believe it.

The FDA has tried to restrict the sale of multivitamins to prescription only in the past, but has been blocked by Congress from doing so.

And honestly, yes I am basing much of my statements on the fact that I haven’t wound up dead yet from vitamins.

That’s a bit of short term thinking.

You should have just toned down the sensationalism a bit. Then we could have all discussed the dangers of mega-dosing vitamins.

Nothing’s stopping us from discussing that.

Instead you wrote this:

In short, unless you’re taking vitamins for a few specific conditions, you’re screwing yourself.  Possibly fatally.

So?  You do realize that most folks never bother to read linked articles?  Or that if they do, they barely get beyond the first 600 words?

Seeing as how half the population is taking vitamin supplements, if I read the statistics correctly, that’s alot of people screwing themselves.

And until the 1970s, everybody in the US was using leaded gas (despite the fact that the dangers of lead had been known since before it was first added to gasoline), just because lots of folks do it, doesn’t mean that its a good idea.

Every day people have to read about the next carcinogenic substance that’s in their daily diet. It’s all just pulp-sales.

Who do you think is going to make the most money, a doctor who writes a book saying that multivitamins should be taken only in certain cases, or Dr. Oz who seems to think there’s nothing wrong with taking lots of them?

I trust the FDA…they will disseminate this info accordingly.

As I said before, the FDA has tried to restrict the sale of multivitamins to prescription only in the past, but has been blocked by Congress from doing so.  Additionally, I did link to the FDA’s statement about taking multivitamins earlier in the thread.

Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
VYAZMA - 27 June 2013 12:56 PM
asanta - 27 June 2013 12:32 PM

And we administer dopamine, proprofol and norepinephrine as well. What is your point?

My point is that artificial vitamin supplementation actually works.  In regards to delivering essential vitamins into the body.
That’s all.
Nobody is disputing that. I know.  It is just a tenet of my argument.

You have fooled yourself into thinking you are actually doing your self good. Why you think you need to take something we generally don’t even give hospitalized patients is beyond me. All you end up with is expensive pee.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 June 2013 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Total Posts:  2189
Joined  2007-04-26

The FDA has essentially been hand cuffed in its ability to regulate vitamins and supplements through the self serving actions of Sen Orrin Htach in 1994. Please see the DSHEA act of 1994.

http://www.health.gov/dietsupp/ch1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_Supplement_Health_And_Education_Act_of_1994

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 27 June 2013 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I’m going to consider stopping vitamins. You have all convinced me that they are probably useless.  I don’t believe they are harmful in moderation.
But maybe I don’t need them. I don’t know!! I like that piece of mind. Goddamn….I don’t know…
Goddamn.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
VYAZMA - 27 June 2013 07:32 PM

I’m going to consider stopping vitamins. You have all convinced me that they are probably useless.  I don’t believe they are harmful in moderation.
But maybe I don’t need them. I don’t know!! I like that piece of mind. Goddamn….I don’t know…
Goddamn.

Put the money you would have been donating toward expensive pee in a jar, and at the end of the year, treat yourself to something nice.  grin

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 June 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
asanta - 28 June 2013 01:09 PM
VYAZMA - 27 June 2013 07:32 PM

Goddamn.

Put the money you would have been donating toward expensive pee in a jar, and at the end of the year, treat yourself to something nice.  grin

Yeah, yeah.  Saying goodbye is going to be harder than I thought.
You know, it’s not like it’s magnetic jewelry or some useless herbs for any ailment.
When the vitamins are ingested they actually do stuff. I don’t mean stuff I can feel.  They go towards nutrition and building and metabolism.
I know I probably don’t need the extra boost of vitamins. It’s all psychological I guess.
I’ll see.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Total Posts:  3069
Joined  2011-11-04

Maybe buy a nice titanium coated necklace as an alternate placebo.  But only wear it in moderation.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 July 2013 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2006-11-28

Here’s a nice article summarizing the evidence on vitamins and a little of the relevant history.

The Vitamin Myth

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 20 July 2013 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

A non skeptical friend has been touting Alkaline water.  It will probably be the next big thing in food pseudoscience. If you want to discuss something as ridiculous as vitamins, look into this.

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

10 of 30

‹‹ Acupuncture      Why are we being so stupid? ››