1 of 2
Catholic Church once again shows its spinelessness
Posted: 13 June 2013 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

The Catholic Church has yet again shown its spinelessness and lack of morality. Their tax exemption should be rescinded immediately. Of course it won’t be. I’d be ashamed to send my kids to that school, though I wouldn’t have needed an incident like this to keep them out of a Catholic school in the first place. Is it religious indoctrination that has fried their brains and their hearts?

The Catholic Church has a history of hiding and moving around abusive preists. But if you are an employee teacher who has been the victim of abuse, they fire you and expell your kids from their school. Will they ever learn?
http://www.examiner.com/article/san-diego-teacher-fired-following-domestic-violence-incident
 ... American Humanist Association

Posted: 14 June 2013 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06

Well, in the very first sentence of the article, I saw the word “ex-husband.” By Catholic definition, shouldn’t that disqualify her from teaching…divorce and all smile

Posted: 14 June 2013 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

This is just a business being a business, the catholic doctrine has nothing to do with it. It is definitely spineless behavior towards Charlesworth, though.

Maybe in this case, an armed teacher would not be a bad idea.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 June 2013 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
FinallyDecided - 14 June 2013 04:42 AM

Well, in the very first sentence of the article, I saw the word “ex-husband.” By Catholic definition, shouldn’t that disqualify her from teaching…divorce and all smile

No. Since the Catholic Church doesn’t recognize divorce, in its eyes they are still married.  Only if she were to marry again would the church have an issue. Of course, this doesn’t take into accound normal church blockheadedness.

Lois

Posted: 14 June 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  817
Joined  2012-04-25

They’re just trying to be Christlike. Like remember how the Bible tells us Jesus came down from the mountain, and there were large crowds of people. And then a guy with leprosy kneels in front of Jesus and asks to be healed. So Jesus pushes the man away and yells to the crowd “get away, get away, this guy will infect you all”. And then Jesus runs away too.  Remember th… wait, I think I got the tale wrong??? wink

Posted: 14 June 2013 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3351
Joined  2011-11-04
Lois - 13 June 2013 11:45 PM

The Catholic Church has yet again shown its spinelessness and lack of morality. Their tax exemption should be rescinded immediately. Of course it won’t be. I’d be ashamed to send my kids to that school, though I wouldn’t have needed an incident like this to keep them out of a Catholic school in the first place. Is it religious indoctrination that has fried their brains and their hearts?

The Catholic Church has a history of hiding and moving around abusive preists. But if you are an employee teacher who has been the victim of abuse, they fire you and expell your kids from their school. Will they ever learn?
http://www.examiner.com/article/san-diego-teacher-fired-following-domestic-violence-incident

Lois, If the school administrators truly believed the abusive ex might come after this woman at the school, and thereby endanger others at the school, what should they have done to deal with this rather than firing her? It seems grossly unfair to this lady, but is there a better alternative for the school administrators?  I hope that there is, but one does not immediately occur to me.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 14 June 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
TimB - 14 June 2013 10:55 AM

Lois, If the school administrators truly believed the abusive ex might come after this woman at the school, and thereby endanger others at the school, what should they have done to deal with this rather than firing her? It seems grossly unfair to this lady, but is there a better alternative for the school administrators?  I hope that there is, but one does not immediately occur to me.

They could beef up their security and be sure to call the police if he’s seen on the premises, the same as any sane school administration would do.  They could hire an amed guard or, they could arm teachers, which is what certain conservatives think is the answer to school violence. They wouldn’t take it out on the victim and act immorally.  If wose came to worse they could put her on paid leave until the danger was past.  Suppose it was any employer whose employee was under attack.  Should employers just fire the employee? Firing the victim is the only thing they can think of to protect other employees, customers or students?  They show themselves to be completely spineless and immoral. Of course when it comes to the Catholic Church, we all knew that already. They’ll move around and hide known child abusers but they’ll fire a teacher of 16 years who is being stalked! Great thinking.

Posted: 14 June 2013 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2011-11-06

In my quick read of the article, I am not seeing what the grounds for terminatiion were. She did the right thing by notifying the administration of the potential issue, which not all teachers or employees in general would do. In addition, was there a description of the nature of his domestic violence? I think it is a far reach to assert that an abusive spouse is going to turn into a potential hazard to a school and the children in the school. Also, legally, can you fire someone for an event that never really happened because I didn’t read what actually occured at the school. Just because someone is angry, doesn’t mean they are a threat of catastrophic nature…what if a parent comes in angry, will the administration expel the student by proxy of anger?

Posted: 14 June 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  6175
Joined  2009-02-26

Perhaps a little off-topic, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22869399

‘What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive”.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 June 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3351
Joined  2011-11-04
Lois - 14 June 2013 11:22 AM

They could beef up their security and be sure to call the police if he’s seen on the premises, the same as any sane school administration would do.  They could hire an amed guard or, they could arm teachers, which is what certain conservatives think is the answer to school violence. They wouldn’t take it out on the victim and act immorally.  If wose came to worse they could put her on paid leave until the danger was past… 

Those are good points.  I suppose that the school administrators were looking for the most immediate and least costly way to address the problem.  Perhaps, she could bring a suit that could convince the school administrators that the way they dealt with this was not their least expensive option.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 14 June 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16
Lois - 14 June 2013 09:39 AM

No. Since the Catholic Church doesn’t recognize divorce, in its eyes they are still married.  Only if she were to marry again would the church have an issue. Of course, this doesn’t take into accound normal church blockheadedness.

Lois

Not quite, Lois.  For example, after their divorce, the first husband of my second wife wanted to marry a Catholic woman, so they were faced with that problem.  He talked to the priest who suggested a solution.  He donate $500 and request that his first marriage be annulled.  This required that he fill out a form and bring it to my wife for her to also sign, agreeing to the annulment.  She did so although we both got a kick out of him asking for that and the Catholic church accepting it.  My wife commented that she must have had five virgin births since they had had that many children during their marriage..  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 June 2013 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 14 June 2013 06:18 PM

Lois

Not quite, Lois.  For example, after their divorce, the first husband of my second wife wanted to marry a Catholic woman, so they were faced with that problem.  He talked to the priest who suggested a solution.  He donate $500 and request that his first marriage be annulled.  This required that he fill out a form and bring it to my wife for her to also sign, agreeing to the annulment.  She did so although we both got a kick out of him asking for that and the Catholic church accepting it.  My wife commented that she must have had five virgin births since they had had that many children during their marriage..  LOL

Occam

Yes, I know. Money talks and marriages can be made to go away.  A family member of mine tried to get his Catholic marriage annulled and was refused.  The marriage was considered valid.  I wonder if he’d had enough money if he could have had it annulled, too. Apparently there are is only one qualification for annulment: enough money to buy one. In the case of the teacher, however, the poster wondered if she would be disqualified from teaching for being divorced.  She wouldn’t be even without an annulment. but she’ll never be able to get an annulment without substantial amounts of cash.  That, unfortunately, is how it works in the Catholic Church. The rich get annulments, the poor are considered married, no matter what.

Lois

Posted: 15 June 2013 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

They could beef up their security and be sure to call the police if he’s seen on the premises, the same as any sane school administration would do.  They could hire an amed guard or, they could arm teachers, which is what certain conservatives think is the answer to school violence. They wouldn’t take it out on the victim and act immorally.  If wose came to worse they could put her on paid leave until the danger was past.  Suppose it was any employer whose employee was under attack.  Should employers just fire the employee? Firing the victim is the only thing they can think of to protect other employees, customers or students?  They show themselves to be completely spineless and immoral. Of course when it comes to the Catholic Church, we all knew that already. They’ll move around and hide known child abusers but they’ll fire a teacher of 16 years who is being stalked! Great thinking.

No, they shouldn’t have to do any of that, at all…. she can be easily replaced.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2013 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Lois - 14 June 2013 07:21 PM
Occam. - 14 June 2013 06:18 PM

Lois

Occam

Yes, I know. Money talks and marriages can be made to go away.  A family member of mine tried to get his Catholic marriage annulled and was refused.  The marriage was considered valid.  I wonder if he’d had enough money if he could have had it annulled, too. Apparently there are is only one qualification for annulment: enough money to buy one. In the case of the teacher, however, the poster wondered if she would be disqualified from teaching for being divorced.  She wouldn’t be even without an annulment. but she’ll never be able to get an annulment without substantial amounts of cash.  That, unfortunately, is how it works in the Catholic Church. The rich get annulments, the poor are considered married, no matter what.

Lois

A catholic person who follows catholic rules gets what is coming to them. Hopefully they are some of the last.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2013 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
mid atlantic - 15 June 2013 03:19 AM

No, they shouldn’t have to do any of that, at all…. she can be easily replaced.

So can you. You obviously have no understanding of right and wrong.  That is the definition of amorality.

Posted: 15 June 2013 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Lois - 15 June 2013 05:55 AM

So can you.

I’m not a teacher.

You obviously have no understanding of right and wrong.  That is the definition of amorality.

True enough, I am a moral nihilist

Signature 

1 of 2