2 of 2
“Salt, Sugar, Fat” ; ““Super Size Me” & other movements
Posted: 22 June 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 21 June 2013 12:33 PM

Well, there is more than one way to get people to buy a product.  It doesn’t have to include deliberately adding things in to get people hooked, physically.  But, apparently, too few food manufacturers care much if their product undermines people’s health.  Is it the place of the government to step in when it’s obvious that something is detrimental to people’s health? It does contribute to the cost of public health, which the government is responsible for in a large way.  Should the government stand aside and do nothing about commercial foods that are undermining people’s health in a big way and costing increases in taxes?  The FDA is supposed to be watching and acting upon such things.  Do people on this forum think government should stay out of people’s food choices despite the known consequences?

You’re right; you must advertise the product first, hand out samples then build a test store in an area with a population large enough to sustain the business, e.g. Long John Silver’s Fish and Chips. The first one was built In Lexington when I attended UK. My friends and I met the owner who took a chance on introducing a British fast food. It worked and caught on quickly becoming one of the fastest growing fast food chains in the U.S. His intent was to franchise the idea, make his money and return to England. It was later bought by Jerrico and the quality of the food rapidly declined. Profits for the shareholders became the paramount reason for expansion, not the health interests of the consumers.

As to government regulation of the food industry, we might remind those small government proselytizers that over twenty percent of the budget is spent on national health care programs. Promoting healthier eating habits will certainly help. The AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease as the number of obese Ameicans has grown by fifty percent since 1997. The govnment should promote programs that stress healthy foods and full disclosure of junk food ingredients. Ultimately however, the individual will have to make the decision to Iive healthier or die earlier from the combination of fat, salt, and sugar.

Cap’t Jack

I’m afraid that’s what a good percentage of the population is doing now, and it’s why our taxes will rise to pay for the consequences.

We are programmed to desire salt, fat and sugar. Of course, in the wild it’s harder to get those things.  With processed foods it’s too easy.

Posted: 29 June 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

I think of it this way. You don’t even need to presume a purposeful conspiracy theory for it either.

If I am a corporation in the food industry that uses extra salt, sugar, or fat in order to compete with keeping my customers, I would welcome a movement to take these elements out of the business legally because I can reduce the overhead costs without those extras. If every company by law had to stop the same behavior, that concept would be taken out of the competition for all competitors.

This is why it bothers me. As a corporation, I might even think that it is a wise business decision to sponsor the less-is-more mentality by promoting programs like, Dr. Oz, to encourage more similar mentality. I find it odd that some should complain that we don’t pay enough for our food (I know a few people who do this even here in Canada where our farmers aren’t subsidized as yours are to keep prices low.)  If it’s a problem for them, then I say tip the establishment more for you’re gratitude. But don’t impose your ease to pay on everyone else.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 29 June 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3133
Joined  2011-08-15

If I am a corporation in the food industry that uses extra salt, sugar, or fat in order to compete with keeping my customers, I would welcome a movement to take these elements out of the business legally because I can reduce the overhead costs without those extras. If every company by law had to stop the same behavior, that concept would be taken out of the competition for all competitors.

The major problem Sco t-t ( I’m pronouncing both tees; it sounds more exotic!) is that now that the corporations have found the formula to hook us, the fast food industry is consumer driven. Why would they even want to eliminate the very ingredients that made us a drive thru culture? Have you noticed also (I predicted this to my wife 20 years ago) that fast food restaurants are consolidating their menus? Pizza places now carry buffalo wings and burgers; burger joints now carry tacos and Chinese food stores sell steaks. Pretty soon it will be all one drive thru: Mc TacoBellArbylongjohnsilvershardysuperchina buffet. Yum.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 June 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4534
Joined  2008-08-14

If science can show that these foods create a health problem that burdens the whole populace through disease and health costs the purveyors of these foods should be more heavily regulated.
The Govconomy though should be ready with economically available safer alternatives….otherwise.
I don’t have a clue what the numbers are, but what percentage of a poor or “neo-middleclass” person’s diet are these fast foods?
And that includes all the cheap unhealthy foods that can be bought in stores…not just Burger King. It’s all the same.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 29 June 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4782
Joined  2007-10-05
VYAZMA - 29 June 2013 12:45 PM

If science can show that these foods create a health problem that burdens the whole populace through disease and health costs the purveyors of these foods should be more heavily regulated.
The Govconomy though should be ready with economically available safer alternatives….otherwise.

How about the gov’t stops subsidizing the meat and dairy industries and subsidizes veggie farmers instead? How about the gov’t stops subsidizing corn and forcing us to put ethanol into our gasoline and starts subsidizing sustainable energy instead?

[ Edited: 29 June 2013 01:10 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 30 June 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
DarronS - 29 June 2013 12:54 PM
VYAZMA - 29 June 2013 12:45 PM

How about the gov’t stops subsidizing the meat and dairy industries and subsidizes veggie farmers instead? How about the gov’t stops subsidizing corn and forcing us to put ethanol into our gasoline and starts subsidizing sustainable energy instead?

Maybe I don’t know anyhing about the impact of subsidies on agriculture and the food supply.
Is ethanol good or bad? How are you going to get people to eat their vegetables...so to speak?
Yes, regulate the 3 things in this OP in store bought or fast food.  If people want to make 3000 calorie sugar salt bombs from scratch-great.
Other wise…start making factory made pot pies or Arby’s crap for examle under stricter codes.
Incentivize new fast food restaurants to make fast, affordable foods with healthy ingredients.
The US can market that stuff they just have to have the will…the profit goals.
It might be more complicated. Hamburger and fries and cokes are an American staple.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 30 June 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

The US can market that stuff they just have to have the will…the profit goals.
It might be more complicated. Hamburger and fries and cokes are an American staple.

You just introduced another problem; we have inherited the bread, meat and potatoes (thank you British ancestors) culture not to mention a few zingers from the Germans, giving us a high cholesterol diet from the beginning. That’s a long term habit ripe for exploitation. The food industry picked up on a growing demand for the big three and found an inexpensive way to dispense it to American consumers. Our task now is to attempt to unravel four hundred years of bad eating habits. This will only change when the culture changes and we become more like grazers and less carnivorous, e.g. The growth of franchised “steakhouses” since the mid 1960s. They are ubiquitous in America not to mention the sugary drinks that we invented and spread throughout the World marketplace. Where isn’t there a coke or Pepsi machine?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 June 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Thevillageatheist - 30 June 2013 10:11 AM

You just introduced another problem; we have inherited the bread, meat and potatoes (thank you British ancestors) culture not to mention a few zingers from the Germans, giving us a high cholesterol diet from the beginning. That’s a long term habit ripe for exploitation. The food industry picked up on a growing demand for the big three and found an inexpensive way to dispense it to American consumers. Our task now is to attempt to unravel four hundred years of bad eating habits. This will only change when the culture changes and we become more like grazers and less carnivorous, e.g. The growth of franchised “steakhouses” since the mid 1960s. They are ubiquitous in America not to mention the sugary drinks that we invented and spread throughout the World marketplace. Where isn’t there a coke or Pepsi machine?

Cap’t Jack

Definitely. Deep, deep rooted. You know it all parallels the peak of our industrial boom too.  Factory workers..factory food.
Americans are(were?) the hardest, most industrious workers on the planet. The quick, high fat high sugar diet was well suited for that.
And it got metabolized by hard working proletariats. Especially the caffeine in pop and coffee. Plus the sugars, carbs, and fats.
Now everyone is getting fat. That’s definitely partly because we aren’t the industrial dynamo that we used to be.
And that includes big ass home dinners as well.
I grew up like millions of Americans with factory workers as family members.  And our tables were always spread with big ass roasts and potatoes and pop and milk.
Then it was out the door for 10-12 hour shifts at the plant. Grab a hamburger along the way maybe. Coffee. Cigarettes. Fast fast fast. Work Work.
In that peak of industrialism, I don’t think it mattered. People metabolized the fat and sugar better. It was real fuel! Needed fuel that was fast and cheap for humans.
Yes, people keeled over with heart attacks and cancer all the same.  But the consciousness of it is more acute now.
We aren’t getting the same bang for the buck anymore..if that makes sense.
In other words the end result of that cheap and fast fuel was realized in better economy for everyone.

Signature 

Posted: 30 June 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Classic example: Primanti Brothers. It was founded in 1933 right in the heart of the strip district in Pittsburgh. It is a sandwich shop that still sells the original heart attack producing giant Ruben sandwich piled high with corned beef, cheese, kraut and topped off with the greasiest French fries you’ve ever eaten and it tastes freekin’ awesome. Truckers stopped there as well as steelworkers on their lunch break and they burned off every calory before they trudged home by trolley up the mountain. Primantis is still open and selling that exact same sandwich. There must be a million calories in it and I confess that I had one after a Pitt game at Heinz Field. My son in law wanted me to experience the ambience of the original restaurant. My point is that we still eat like the previous generation but don’t work off the calories as they did. Our habits must change to fit the more sedentary lifestyle today or match intake with output via exercise. Problem is many of us work longer hours, have less leisure time (blue and white collar workers in the US are notorious for that) and the service industry doesn’t require strenuous activity. Heavy industry is all but dead here as well. Much of it too depends on where in the US you live. BTW, do they have this problem in Canada?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 04 July 2013 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

See: “Eat, cook, Love”, Doc Zone (CBC) if you can.

[ Edited: 04 July 2013 11:54 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

2 of 2

‹‹ Why are we being so stupid?      GM Foods ››