4 of 5
Point of Inquiry, RIP
Posted: 15 February 2017 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2016-12-24
Occam. - 01 July 2013 08:34 AM

After having read about as much of this as I can stand, both from the various links and here, I realize that this is similar to theological arguments.  There can be no common ground or understanding of each other’s position so it’s a waste of time bothering with it.

Occam

It’s now February 2017.
What’s new?

Has the whole thing folded and turned into a sort of, hmmm metaphorically speaking an almost empty VFW club bar
With the survivors tried of their own old stories?

What is the connection between CFI and Skeptics Society?

[ Edited: 15 February 2017 03:54 PM by Citizenschallenge-v.3 ]

Posted: 15 February 2017 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  2007-10-05

Point of Inquiry is still going with new hosts. I don’t listen to every episode but it is in regular rotation on road trips. Still a very good podcast.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 16 February 2017 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2015-12-10

Under the points mentioned…

* Go offline before going online: pick up the phone
* Listen more
* Dial down the drama

Our own, internal board here is full of name calling, insults, and interpreting in the worst light possible…then claiming scientific genius and providing links, links, links and links to prove the simple points.Apparently, those who post dozens of links and call names have a difficult time saying things concisely and cogently. Such skills only come from practice and a desire to do so.

It may be possible that these people go off-line before going online but either sit by themselves or their little group in a corner and Gab in their private conversations Or perhaps are that obnoxious person at the table, pretending to be some social activist who is always right to a social justice for your yelling and other people and calling them the worst names civilly possible.In other words I’m not sure going off-line really makes a difference first quite a number of Average Americans.This is especially true when they think they are right because of politics, ideology, or let reality.

While we may not live in a glass house, not throwing so many rocks remains a good idea.

That was my first impression and remains so except here I can block persons…thank the god who runs and created this thing.

The only reason I really stay on the board is because there’s less interference from a nonexistent third-party overseer, namely God, some good things come out once in a while, and it gives me practice speaking to the most outrageous points of view and rhetoric and tone that is ultra-dramatic. I need that.. I just notice how many people joined in how few seem to remain engaged. Bye

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 17 February 2017 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2016-12-24
JSmith - 16 February 2017 11:17 AM

Under the points mentioned…

* Go offline before going online: pick up the phone
* Listen more
* Dial down the drama

Our own, internal board here is full of name calling, insults, and interpreting in the worst light possible…then claiming scientific genius and providing links, links, links and links to prove the simple points.  Apparently, those who post dozens of links and call names have a difficult time saying things concisely and cogently. Such skills only come from practice and a desire to do so.

Lordie lordie aren’t we dripping with superiority, wake up in a pissy mood?  There are many forms of name calling, you are not immune from tossing them out either, so please ease up. After just reviewing a number of your other posts in various threads I need to ask, are you too tender or defensive to take what you lay out yourself? 

I find it interesting that some resent having a lot of links shared.  As though presenting independent verification of certain points being made, or offerings sources that helped form one’s own, or that might offer some education to others, or that sharing breaking news stories is bad thing.  Perhaps some of us even hope to start a little discussion with a story we found fascinating, why is that a bad thing?. Particularly when one is more than happy to following up with discussion , as opposed to simply drive-bys.

Well, I think myself believe that people who go around making up shit and never checking in with the rest of the world is pretty stupid and pointless also.

I’ve notice you love the short esoteric post, and then often don’t follow up on discussion.  Looks like we could all use a bit of communication and socializing skills improvement.  cheers

Posted: 17 February 2017 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

CFI Programn being weird again - won’t let me delete that superfluous “think” at the bottom.  I hit post and its says I’m posting a spam link even though, this time tongue wink, there’s no link in the entire comment.  ohh

Posted: 17 February 2017 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
JSmith - 16 February 2017 11:17 AM

Apparently, those who post dozens of links and call names have a difficult time saying things concisely and cogently.

This is quite ironic coming from someone who posts word salads, ignores requests for clarity, and routinely starts threads but doesn’t return to continue the discussions. BTW, posting links is also known as providing sources. I’d think someone with a PhD would understand that.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 17 February 2017 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  3840
Joined  2014-06-20

How about starting a new thread? This discussion started in June 2013—almost 4 years go. There has been a lot of water over the dam since then. Let’s have a rational update and reconsideration of the issues.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 17 February 2017 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Naw. No need for a new thread*. This one has run it’s course.

*Now if you want to start a new thread regarding PoI with its new hosts, that would be great. I am enjoying the podcast despite my previous misgivings.

Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2017 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2016-12-24
LoisL - 17 February 2017 11:45 AM

How about starting a new thread? This discussion started in June 2013—almost 4 years go. There has been a lot of water over the dam since then. Let’s have a rational update and reconsideration of the issues.

Well, that’s actually what my comment was going to be about.

And since this thread started during the apparent (I may be a regular at the Forum but know little, little about the organization) {Though I did go to my first skeptics meeting, they been holding in Durango for ever, but I’d never gone before. I got lucky too, a young (20s) gal telling her story of breaking away from her family and Jehovah’s Witnesses, everyone agreed it was one of the better talks they’ve heard}

during the apparent down fall of the central characters, or was it just the one head pooba, who knows?

Thus I was looking of an informed update.  I no idea why Smith tossed that turd from deep deep right field, but it had nothing to do with my question or this thread, but that’s not enough to nullify the entire thread.  History is very important to me Lois, this thread seems part of history.  tongue wink

Of course, if someone that knows and cares about the organization feels they want to start a new thread to bring us outsiders up to date on the internal dramas and heartbreaks of the Skeptic Society please do.  Heck I don’t even understand how CFI and Skeptic Society are related.

Posted: 18 February 2017 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Scott Mayers - 26 June 2013 04:03 AM

Well, what I found so far doesn’t convince me that Ron Lindsay did anything to disrespect women. If this is some contention about etiquette, it is insulting to the nature of open discussion to presume that the way one communicates has more relevance than the logic underlying it.

I also disagree with the assumption that feminism is an inherent stance of being skeptical or humanistic. I also disagree that the nature of religion itself is responsible for any intentional discrimination against women. A religion can easily be formed to favor any arbitrary group or set of individuals while discriminating against them as well. Also, just because a particular religion, like one select form of Christianity can be shown to have historical roots or contemporary attitudes of such behavior, to presume that society would have been different without them is not established logically.

I find the actions of these individuals from the Point of Inquiry to quit on the basis of emotional disgust just a form of emotional blackmail to others who should not toe the line of conforming to some restricting etiquette. If this was their basis to resign, I wouldn’t even be interested in wanting to hear what they have to say in the future now because I would feel like I’d have to adapt to their arbitrary rules for obedience to be an active participant in any discussion.

“Sure, let’s discuss your dissident views on prayer; But let’s begin first with a prayer to open the meeting.”

How do you define frminism?

Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2017 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

When I tried to correct the typo my post above I received a notice that my post might be spam so it was discarded. I tried twice and got the same notice.

WHAT?

I wrote “How do you define feminism.” How that equates to spam I have no idea.

[ Edited: 18 February 2017 01:33 PM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2017 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2016-12-24
LoisL - 18 February 2017 01:31 PM

When I tried to correct the typo my post above I received a notice that my post might be spam so it was discarded. I tried twice and got the same notice.

WHAT?

Strange, twice at this thread…
Or has trump hacked us.  shock
someone must have put a jinx on this thread.

Posted: 19 February 2017 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  5240
Joined  2007-08-31

You noticed this…

And ask a question on a posting from 26 June 2013?

LoisL - 18 February 2017 01:26 PM

Well, what I found so far doesn’t ...

How do you define feminism?

And thereby the poster is already gone for a long time…He was banned on his own request.

Signature 

GdB

The light is on, but there is nobody at home.

Posted: 19 February 2017 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
GdB - 19 February 2017 04:47 AM

You noticed this…

And ask a question on a posting from 26 June 2013?

LoisL - 18 February 2017 01:26 PM

Well, what I found so far doesn’t ...

How do you define feminism?

And thereby the poster is already gone for a long time…He was banned on his own request.

Wow, must people request to be banned? How bizzarre! Can’t they just unsubscribe? I guess those are silly questions.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2017 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 18 February 2017 11:46 PM
LoisL - 18 February 2017 01:31 PM

WHAT?

Strange, twice at this thread…
Or has trump hacked us.  shock
someone must have put a jinx on this thread.

I’d vote for having been hacked by Trump.

Signature 

4 of 5