Cursive
Posted: 15 July 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 15 July 2013 05:37 AM
mid atlantic - 10 July 2013 10:35 PM
George - 10 July 2013 10:34 AM

but I can tell a lot about people by looking at their handwriting.

What are some things you can tell about a person from their handwriting? I’ve read that some diseases can be detected through handwriting deterioration, but that’s about it.

I can probably tell if you are a man of woman, what continent you grew up on, if you are an extrovert or introvert, and maybe even your taste and level of creativity. I’ve noticed that judging once’s intelligence and age from a person’s handwriting is a lot less accurate that would seem.

I disagree with Lois that people who write in cursive are “more literate” than those who write using print. People who write in cursive are often people who write more (e.g., women). The reason is simply that one can write a lot faster in cursive than in print. When writting in cursive, we don’t lift up the pen nearly as often as when we’re using print. But you have to be skillful in both techniques to be able to tell the difference, which I am.

Let me put it this way.  When I see a note from someone in block letters it looks to me like a note written in crayon. The person might be literate in the strictest sense of the word but there is something to be said for presentation and appearance.  It’s like seeing someone with his hair uncombed or food spots on his shirt. I get the same feeling when I see sloppy spelling and grammatical errors.

Posted: 15 July 2013 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I get that feeling when I see two spaces after a period. When I see a post like that from “someone” it looks to me like it was written on a typewriter.  grin

Posted: 15 July 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 15 July 2013 10:13 AM

I get that feeling when I see two spaces after a period. When I see a post like that from “someone” it looks to me like it was written on a typewriter.  grin

Old habits die hard. When I learned to type if I didn’t put two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence, points were deducted. It’s similar in printing the old fashioned way.  That change is very recent. The number of spaces after a period is a convention, not a hard and fast rule.

Posted: 15 July 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree with Lois.  I can write in cursive much faster than I can in print.  And, my writing is quite legible so I don’t have any problem with people asking me to interpret what I wrote.  I learned the double space after a period when typing so it’s automatic and comfortable.  I’m not sure if you’re referring to that, George, or if you mean that some people leave a bigger gap between handwritten sentences than they do between words.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 July 2013 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

You agree with me, Occam, not Lois. I pointed out the speed. According to her it’s a sign of being “more literate.” I am sure you don’t agree with that.

Posted: 15 July 2013 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 15 July 2013 05:53 AM

I’ve also noticed that many people in North America band their index and middle fingers when they write. Not sure where that came from.

Yes, I’ve always thought it looked uncomfortable.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 July 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24
Lois - 15 July 2013 04:36 AM
mckenzievmd - 12 July 2013 12:05 PM

I believe teaching cursive in school is a pointless waste of time and effort. I think it’s reached the point of being a form of calligraphy—fine as a form of artistic expression for those who enjoy it, but not a skill everybody should be required to learn. Havent’ written in cursive in decades since for me printing is far more legible and not significantly slower, and of course the majority of my written communication is typed anyway.

Interestingly, some people seem to have strong feelings about this. I expressed my thoughts on the subject with some of the other parents at my daughter’s school when cursive was being itnroduced, and the outrage and indignation was amazing. We can have long debates about the latest research on the merits of homework as a taching tool but apparently fancy quill pen writing is off limits! grin

I don’t kmow how people get along in daily life without writing cursive. Doesn’t anyone write notes, even to him/herself? Never write a few lines on a greeting card?

Almost never, and when I do, I don’t use cursive.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 July 2013 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Lois - 15 July 2013 11:39 AM

Old habits die hard. When I learned to type if I didn’t put two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence, points were deducted. It’s similar in printing the old fashioned way.  That change is very recent. The number of spaces after a period is a convention, not a hard and fast rule.

I am you sure you’ve thought about it when replying to my post and still: out of the five sentences, you added a double space in one instance. “An old habit”? I doubt that. I think you’re trying to make a point. What poit that is exactly I am not sure, but it’s rather sad. It’s as impressive as seeing older people wearing socks with sandals.

Posted: 15 July 2013 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, I’ll be double spacing after the periods in my epitaph. 

I hadn’t thought about it before this thread, but today I had to fill out a form that required my signature and my printed name.  As I’ve said, my handwriting is pretty much like the cursive lettering shown on the black signs often at the top of the blackboards of elementary class rooms, so I signed it carefully with my best cursive writing.  However, being a bit of a wise ass, the printed name was written so it was essentially unreadable.  LOL

Occam
===
and yes, I’ll write my own epitaph.  I sure as hell wouldn’t trust anyone else to do it. smile

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 15 July 2013 09:28 PM
Lois - 15 July 2013 11:39 AM

I am you sure you’ve thought about it when replying to my post and still: out of the five sentences, you added a double space in one instance. “An old habit”? I doubt that. I think you’re trying to make a point. What poit that is exactly I am not sure, but it’s rather sad. It’s as impressive as seeing older people wearing socks with sandals.

You’re very observant.

However, I am hunting and pecking on an IPad, so I’m not touch typing. I am unaware of how many spaces I use after a period when using this method of “typing.”  No point involved.

How do you know what I’m wearing on my feet? wink

Lois

Posted: 16 July 2013 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

That’s some real fine condescending douchebaggery you’ve expoused there, Lois. Got any more little gems? Like maybe how ball-point pen users are clearly intellectually inferior to those who use fountain pens? (May as well be writing in Sharpie, the heathens.) Or how people who text are obviously functionally retarded?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 17 July 2013 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

Ignore DM, Lois. He often gets stuck in troll mode and posts stuff to rile us.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 17 July 2013 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

Hey!  I was taught in typing class to put two spaces after a period!!  mad  The computer may be a different machine but proper spacing still helps readability.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 July 2013 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
garythehuman - 17 July 2013 01:30 PM

Hey!  I was taught in typing class to put two spaces after a period!!  mad  The computer may be a different machine but proper spacing still helps readability.

That is why font designers go to the trouble of building in proper spacing. Way back in my younger days I had a book titled The Mac is Not a Typewriter, filled with hints on proper computer-based page design. One of the first tips was how to strip out double spaces between sentences.

One problem with double spaces is you often get lines that break
  like this, and you have to either strip all the double spaces using
find-and-replace, or inspect the document and remove them manually.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 17 July 2013 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting DM:

Or how people who text are obviously functionally retarded

Hey, DM, I never thought of it that way, but you’re right - they ARE functionally retarded.  LOL

Strange, Darron.  I still use WordPerfect (I’d use WordStar if it were still available), and it recognizes and ignores end of line double spaces.

Occam

Signature 

2 of 3