3 of 4
Snowden nominated for Nobel Prize
Posted: 22 July 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3258
Joined  2011-08-15

But I prefer his daughter Alice as a person, as she had a sense of humor, and wish he was nicer to her than he was.

Now there’s a study in contrasts! I think she out did her own father in living a “bully” life. I remember when she died and how the Washington elite praised her. Man, I which the old Republican progressives were back. Now that statement’s an oxymoron. Really I think Teddi blamed Alice for her mother’s death in a way and he never recovered from his mother and wife dying on Valentine’s Day. Bummer.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 December 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Speaking of Edward Snowden, there’s and interesting story at the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/24/edward-snowden-i-already-won

He continued: “I already won. As soon as the journalists were able to work, everything that I had been trying to do was validated. Because, remember, I didn’t want to change society. I wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself.

“All I wanted was for the public to be able to have a say in how they are governed.”

If his suggestion had been implemented Snowden would not have been able to copy all the files he took. An NSA spokeswoman also denied those conversations had taken place.

“I am not trying to bring down the NSA, I am working to improve the NSA,” Snowden said.

“I am still working for the NSA right now. They are the only ones who don’t realise it.”

He named the chairs of the Senate and house intelligence committee, Dianne Feinstein and Mike Rogers, as people who had “elected” him to his whistleblower position by not doing their jobs properly in ensuring the oversight of the NSA.

But the main feature is at the Washington Post - National Security section - December 23, 2013
“Edward Snowden, after months of NSA revelations, says his mission’s accomplished”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/edward-snowden-after-months-of-nsa-revelations-says-his-missions-accomplished/2013/12/23/49fc36de-6c1c-11e3-a523-fe73f0ff6b8d_story.html

Food for thought

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 27 December 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

Snowdon has a lot of heavy competition for the Peace Prize. I doubt he will win.

His quotes in the Guardian are great.

Lois

Posted: 28 December 2013 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Lois - 27 December 2013 01:13 PM

Snowdon has a lot of heavy competition for the Peace Prize. I doubt he will win.

Lois

Yeah I like the part where he ran off to China and then Russia with Terabytes of classified information.
That was good.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 31 December 2013 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
VYAZMA - 28 December 2013 05:47 PM

Lois

Yeah I like the part where he ran off to China and then Russia with Terabytes of classified information.
That was good.

And your point is?  (keeping it in context)

Got any suggestions for what his other options were?

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2014 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  3258
Joined  2011-08-15

Lois

That was good.

Here’s a suggestion, and I’ve made it before, he could have turned himself in, come back to the U.S. and face charges of treason. The media storm would have turned him into a martyr for the cause and protector of the fourth amendment instead of skulking around with former enemies who are willing to pay any price for our military secrets. I’m not implying that Snowden did it for the money. His motivation may have been altruistic but it would certainly lend credence to his cause by publically facing down the NSA and who knows, he might have been awarded that prize after all? Personal sacrifice in the defense of freedom is no vice.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 01 January 2014 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 31 December 2013 11:20 PM

Lois

That was good.

Just like VA said. He could have given everything to the Times or Post, or Examiner or Tribune etc…Stayed in the US and faced the consequences.
Then I for one would agree he was a whistle blower. I would have viewed his actions as much more sensible.

I cannot believe the state of the opinions in this country over this matter. This shows just how dysfunctional this nation has become.

Regardless of what you think the spying is and the NSA is doing(even if it is bad…which is debatable. A Federal Judge just ruled it constitutional)
Snowden stole sensitive classified information and then fled with it seeking asylum in another country. Via China and Russia.
2 nations which are not friendly with us and are in direct competition with us in global influence.

Nothing Snowden ultimately revealed was news to me or lots of people!!! I remember the newspapers reporting about phone tapping and
meta-data, etc 10 years ago!!!  Where were you?  This Snowden material wasn’t news!!!

Hell I remember being a kid in the 80s and hearing that the gov’t had technology to filter phones for words like “bomb” or “attack” etc..
Whether it was true or not who knows?  The point is what did Snowden tell you that you didn’t already know?

That we spy on other countries?  That we look for terrorists in our own nation with just about any means possible? Through phones and e-mail?
That’s news to you???

[ Edited: 01 January 2014 11:33 AM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 01 January 2014 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I don’t feel Snowden has anywhere near the ethics of a Daniel Ellsberg, seeing the way he’s handled the problem.  He certainly doesn’t deserve even being nominated for a Nobel. 

However, we have to realize all nations are now gathering information limited only by their level of technology.  They are getting it from each other and from their own citizens.  Privacy is a thing of the past.  I don’t like it, but I have to recogize that it’s the way things are.  Publicizing it won’t make it stop; only make the gatherers work to be even more stealthy. 

Solutions?  I don’t think we can stop it or even slow it down.  Rather, it’s not going to be too long before every citizen with a computer or maybe just a smart phone will be able to access everyone’s most private data, including that of all government agencies.  Possibly when everyone is outed unethical or illegal behavior will fade away. 

Boy, I’m sure starting the new year on a crazily optimistic note.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 January 2014 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2013-06-01

The way we communicate is what’s at risk. Who has control of a person’s lifetime communications, relationships, financial and health records?

In an idea situation the government should have control.

But what if the government is not honest?

What if the government lies to the people?

At this point, screw the data, the public wants to know what and who has been using the data for what reasons. 
Questions like, has this data been used to change the outcome of elections?

The last American to have this type of government inside information that I can think of was Harry D. White.
And he died of a heart attack when he was in perfect health a day before he was to testify.
I saw Mr. White as an American Hero. The government claimed he was a trader and a spy. The most successful spy ever against the United States of America.

That was until two years ago and books are now being written about Mr. White and the government is now beginning to change its story. Mr. White is no longer a big FBI, CIA success story and may not have even been a spy.

Mr. Snowden did the right thing by going to Russia. I do not think he will live long in the hands of the US Government.

If all the secrets about the government dealings were known by the people that have been monetary affected by the actions of the government. I think the lawsuits would be larger than the national debt.

NOTE;
The internet may just become the new Gnostic God of our time. Snowden may be its first disciple.

Com’on now, think about it.

Happy New Year to everyone.

[ Edited: 01 January 2014 04:39 PM by MikeYohe ]

Posted: 02 January 2014 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

[ Edited: 02 January 2014 12:44 AM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

Posted: 02 January 2014 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Seems to me Manning’s handling served as pretty strong medicine for Snowden.  He is, after all, just a man, not a comic book hero.

It’s sort of a joke - does any of it add up to a hill of beans anyways?

The NSA is gathering so much information, I’ll bet they are chocking on it.  And it seems every time we need them to make a good call -
they screw it up anyways.  Big boys playing big games and most at their levels of incompetence, besides most are in it for themselves since noble patriotic intentions went out of fashion somewhere between Nixon and Reaganomics.

I got no great stake in this, it’s simply that, between his interviews, backed up by his actions (and lack thereof), and the government’s hysterical overreaction - I can’t blame him for what he did.  Besides, it’s USA that stranded him in Russia, that was not S. idea!. 
Folks are just pissed because the punk proved himself smarter than the fat heads. 

excuse the irreverence

Signature 

Posted: 02 January 2014 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 02 January 2014 12:41 AM

Folks are just pissed because the punk proved himself smarter than the fat heads. 

excuse the irreverence

No, I myself maintain a healthy belief in Nationalism CC.
Despite the fact that the coming “Hands Across the Globe” epoch is coming…...-NOT!

Signature 

Posted: 02 January 2014 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

The Nobel Peace Prize has about as much relevance as Time Magazine’s “Man of the Year” award, and it causes as much controversy. In the end it means nothing but the opinion of a few people. Opinions are a dime a dozen. (The science awards at least have something besides idle opinion to back them up.)

Lois

Posted: 05 January 2014 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
VYAZMA - 02 January 2014 11:06 AM

excuse the irreverence

No, I myself maintain a healthy belief in Nationalism CC.

Is that something like MY COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG?

Signature 

Posted: 05 January 2014 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Seems to me Manning’s handling served as pretty strong medicine for Snowden.  He is, after all, just a man, not a comic book hero.

Signature 

3 of 4