5 of 16
Einstein was Wrong: My Theory of Relativity
Posted: 25 July 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4573
Joined  2007-08-31

Nice, kkwan. Sweet dreams…

kkwan - 25 July 2013 08:42 AM

Mike Hawkins has observed nearly 900 hundred quasars over 28 years.

Great. Maybe he is at something. But I bet with you 2 envelopes with money that SR will not fall because of that, except maybe in some not yet known extreme case. (You know how to make much more money from these envelopes!)

kkwan - 25 July 2013 08:42 AM

How does the constancy of the speed of light, time dilation and length contraction follow from the simple principle which is an assumption?

You can’t google the derivation of the Lorenz transformations?  question

Here. Show us where the error is. Or is the error that the derivations are boring?

Don’t forget those many experiments that support the conclusions (link with a list of experiments a few postings above).

For the rest I hope I can stay out of the further discussion between such heavy weight physicists. If one of you is right, then you can be sure you win the Nobel price. Oh, no, I forget: the scientific establishment will not give you a chance. Nobody ever got a Nobel price for a revolutionary scientific idea… (I hope you know where to put the irony tags. A little knowledge of science and science history should suffice…)

PS You could have found it easily yourself, but here is a simple but correct derivation of the time dilation and length contraction in SR.
PPS You also find a simple derivation of the famous E=mc² there. It is also based on the same single simple principle of observer independence. I assume you have another explanation of why E=mc² is true? Or is it a lie?
PPPS I found this pearl in the above pages:

As you can see from the lectures so far, although Einstein’s Theory of Special Relativity solves the problem posed by the Michelson-Morley experiment—the nonexistence of an ether—it is at a price.  The simple assertion that the speed of a flash of light is always c in any inertial frame leads to consequences that defy common sense.  When this was pointed out somewhat forcefully to Einstein, his response was that common sense is the layer of prejudices put down before the age of eighteen. All our intuition about space, time and motion is based on childhood observation of a world in which no objects move at speeds comparable to that of light.  Perhaps if we had been raised in a civilization zipping around the universe in spaceships moving at relativistic speeds, Einstein’s assertions about space and time would just seem to be common sense.  The real question, from a scientific point of view, is not whether Special Relativity defies common sense, but whether it can be shown to lead to a contradiction.  If that is so, common sense wins.  Ever since the theory was published, people have been writing papers claiming it does lead to contradictions.

[ Edited: 25 July 2013 10:59 AM by GdB ]
 Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 25 July 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  623
Joined  2013-06-01

I can not keep up, but this subject has very interesting thoughts.

One thing that has always amazed me was how light hitting an object can change direction so fast. I can not think of any other matter that can do this.

Posted: 25 July 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
MikeYohe - 25 July 2013 02:15 PM

<snip>One thing that has always amazed me was how light hitting an object can change direction so fast. I can not think of any other matter that can do this.

Obviously, you’ve never chased a toddler before. LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 26 July 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

.kj,,

[ Edited: 05 September 2013 12:58 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 26 July 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  4858
Joined  2007-10-05

Glad to hear you’re working on your proofs, Scott. Albert Einstein and David Hilbert spent 10 years working independently to derive the General Theory of Relativity from the Special Theory. Einstein barely beat Hilbert to the conclusion. I am sure, given your training, skills and intellect, that in a few months you’ll have no problem going beyond what Einstein and Hilbert accomplished in a decade.</snark>

One thing that strikes me about crackpot physicists is their overwhelming hubris. Even though they lack formal math and science training, crackpots believe they can explain things that some of the greatest intellectual minds in human history could not explain. They place themselves alongside Maxwell, Einstein and Feynman, but without the education. Scott, nothing you have posted here or on scienceforums.net indicates you even understand Relativity, much less have the training and intellect to modify or go beyond it. Frankly, if you were that smart and creative you’d be working on your ideas 24/7 and not bothering the world with them until you had a fully formulated theory.

Then you come here stamping your feet about the moderator as scienceforums moving your crackpot idea to the trash can. Well, that is your misconception. Your post is in the the Speculations forum, which is one level above the Trash Can. You are letting your hurt feelings cloud your judgment. The one guy who said he was trying to engage you was trying to tell you that you are the one not engaging in rational discussion.

What most scientists do not appreciate, however, is someone telling them that the current theory is wrong without demonstrating a better alternative, because in the end scientists are very practical—the theory that makes the best predictions are the most useful.

You have nothing that makes predictions, thus your idea is not useful.

And the guy who said science is not a democracy? He’s the moderator who locked your thread after warning you to address the critiques rather than ignore them.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 26 July 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

\]oyk

[ Edited: 05 September 2013 12:58 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 26 July 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2012-04-25

I feel for you Scott. I once posted something on a Physics forum, where I stated unequivocally, that my post was just an idea, and that I was just a layman. In my case however (and this was you’re big mistake) I made no mention of current theories being wrong, famous scientists being wrong, etc. And I consciously tried to be deferential, humble, etc. and not try to act above my station so to speak.  Geez I found out in a hurry just how snobbish and cliquish physicists could be. You’d think they were above being impressed by “the fancy jewelry” of degrees. They weren’t. Einstein OTOH I would venture to guess would have given me (and you) a fair listen, then set us down gently without resorting to name calling and derision.

And the funny thing was, not one person actually understood what I was saying even though I know I was stating things correctly (since my idea was basically a slight take off of something Feynman posited. I basically used HIS OWN WORDS! plus a slight extension in the ideas. I guarantee - if Feynman was alive and posted the same exact thing, the reactions from others would be the exact opposite. Alas physicists are people too wink with the same prejudices.)

My advice at this point is: 1) It’s a different world now. Simply being smart and having great ideas just isn’t enough. You need the “jewelry” to make it in mainstream theoretical physics OR you need to know someone who has the jewelry and can front for you. 2) Go back and start “math first”. Thought experiments are great, but AE had the math to back them up. You need to too. Then re-post when the time comes under new names, etc.

And stay humble. It’s what AE would’ve done.

[ Edited: 26 July 2013 10:39 AM by CuthbertJ ]

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

sdkgjjjg

[ Edited: 05 September 2013 12:59 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2010-11-21
CuthbertJ - 26 July 2013 10:36 AM

I feel for you Scott. I once posted something on a Physics forum, where I stated unequivocally, that my post was just an idea, and that I was just a layman. In my case however (and this was you’re big mistake) I made no mention of current theories being wrong, famous scientists being wrong, etc. And I consciously tried to be deferential, humble, etc. and not try to act above my station so to speak.  Geez I found out in a hurry just how snobbish and cliquish physicists could be. You’d think they were above being impressed by “the fancy jewelry” of degrees. They weren’t. Einstein OTOH I would venture to guess would have given me (and you) a fair listen, then set us down gently without resorting to name calling and derision.

And the funny thing was, not one person actually understood what I was saying even though I know I was stating things correctly (since my idea was basically a slight take off of something Feynman posited. I basically used HIS OWN WORDS! plus a slight extension in the ideas. I guarantee - if Feynman was alive and posted the same exact thing, the reactions from others would be the exact opposite. Alas physicists are people too wink with the same prejudices.)

My advice at this point is: 1) It’s a different world now. Simply being smart and having great ideas just isn’t enough. You need the “jewelry” to make it in mainstream theoretical physics OR you need to know someone who has the jewelry and can front for you. 2) Go back and start “math first”. Thought experiments are great, but AE had the math to back them up. You need to too. Then re-post when the time comes under new names, etc.

And stay humble. It’s what AE would’ve done.

Thanks for this. I do recognize I’m being unusually bold in how I’m approaching it. And I am trying to catch up. I’m a little impatient with keeping it to myself without expressing myself before I die (I could get hit by a car tomorrow.) If it is not the best etiquette, I won’t apologize for it. I mean no harm to anyone by expressing myself now. I respect the educational institutions but know that with some people, like myself, we don’t always learn nor effectively communicate things in the same way. If I allow myself to respect one unique way to be acceptable, nothing may come of what I said. Is it fair to assume, for instance, that everyone must have a legitimate degree in a qualified university to speak on any intellectual matters? Even our past heroes of science and philosophy have usually been odd-balls in some significant way.

I’m glad for this day that we have a forum like this that we can be free to speak. On the other hand, I didn’t respect the other forum for direct discrimination and belittling on the get go. There is only one reason for having a section like the one they sent me too. It was a means to insult, belittle and discourage those for whom they find are unnecessarily muddying the waters to truth (at least the ones they are certain of.) I’m not religious, but I wouldn’t dismiss them by placing them in a dark backroom so they couldn’t be heard. And I certainly wouldn’t add a note on that backdoor with a sign saying, “morons”!

Thanks again.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

jjgflkjdglr

[ Edited: 05 September 2013 12:59 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
harry canyon - 25 July 2013 03:48 PM
MikeYohe - 25 July 2013 02:15 PM

<snip>One thing that has always amazed me was how light hitting an object can change direction so fast. I can not think of any other matter that can do this.

Obviously, you’ve never chased a toddler before. LOL

Take care,

Derek

Ha. Very true!

Lois

Posted: 26 July 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

jjjt

[ Edited: 05 September 2013 01:00 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2013 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

Page 2

[ Edited: 05 September 2013 01:00 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

Page 3

[ Edited: 05 September 2013 01:01 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

Page 4

[ Edited: 05 September 2013 01:01 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

5 of 16