Posted: 22 July 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
GdB - 22 July 2013 07:47 AM

Just for have a look here.

It is amazing and very sad.

Thanks for that. The photos are pretty sobering.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 July 2013 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
mid atlantic - 21 July 2013 10:33 PM
VYAZMA - 21 July 2013 09:09 PM

Mid Atlantic-What does this mean?

Detroit lost all of it’s manufacturing jobs to outsourcing.  So other places got their jobs.  Overseas and down South.
So Other places benefited at Detroit’s expense. It started in the 80s.  I’m sure you’re aware of that.

That seems like the opposite of a small sacrifice.

I know. It was sarcasm. 
It was a big sacrifice.  A BIG sacrifice.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 22 July 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3197
Joined  2011-08-15

They may have divergent aims but they have similar results. If you go far enough to the left you find yourself rubbing shoulders with the far right extremists.

Yes, in that respect we’re in agreement. Radicals and reactionaries do share similar views and the methods are the same, but their core philosophies are very dissimilar. Totalitarianism takes many forms whether it be a political party or an oligarchy; both aim for power consolidation. I wonder which form Detroit’s interim mayor will take?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 July 2013 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Just for have a look here.

It is amazing and very sad.

Signature 
GdB

More info and photos. I’ve visited there many times since the mid 70’s ( we have friends in the suburbs) and you could see the slow decline of the city with each visit.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2012/02/21/the-reasons-behind-detroits-decline-by-pete-saunders/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 23 July 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1394
Joined  2009-10-21

Not sure if I can add to this:

Don’t buy the Right-wing story

It’s a straightforward conservative formula: the right blames state and municipal budget problems exclusively on public employees’ retirement benefits, often underfunding those public pensions for years. The money raided from those pension funds is then used to enact expensive tax cuts and corporate welfare programs. After years of robbing those pension funds to pay for such giveaways, a crisis inevitably hits, and workers’ pension benefits are blamed — and then slashed. Meanwhile, the massive tax cuts and corporate subsidies are preserved, because we are led to believe they had nothing to do with the crisis.

Posted: 23 July 2013 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Lausten - 23 July 2013 11:00 AM

Not sure if I can add to this:

Don’t buy the Right-wing story

It’s a straightforward conservative formula: the right blames state and municipal budget problems exclusively on public employees’ retirement benefits, often underfunding those public pensions for years. The money raided from those pension funds is then used to enact expensive tax cuts and corporate welfare programs. After years of robbing those pension funds to pay for such giveaways, a crisis inevitably hits, and workers’ pension benefits are blamed — and then slashed. Meanwhile, the massive tax cuts and corporate subsidies are preserved, because we are led to believe they had nothing to do with the crisis.

Yes and even more we are told that those corporate welfare breaks are what is essential for our economic benefit!
It’s a racket! An old one indeed. That mechanic is the root of most of our problems. It’s always going to be extant, but it has gone waaay out of control.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 23 July 2013 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m concerned that if things keep going the way they are, a lot of cities might end up this way.  Not all, but quite a few.  Hopefully we can change things before then.  The truth is, tax breaks for corporations and alike will not help.  They are not the job creators. Public demand is.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 July 2013 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2698
Joined  2011-04-24
Mriana - 23 July 2013 05:47 PM

I’m concerned that if things keep going the way they are, a lot of cities might end up this way.  Not all, but quite a few.  Hopefully we can change things before then.  The truth is, tax breaks for corporations and alike will not help.  They are not the job creators. Public demand is.

Yes, it’s likely that Baltimore and Camden, New Jersey will go that way.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 23 July 2013 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
VYAZMA - 21 July 2013 09:09 PM

Mid Atlantic-What does this mean?

Detroit lost all of it’s manufacturing jobs to outsourcing.  So other places got their jobs.  Overseas and down South.
So Other places benefited at Detroit’s expense. It started in the 80s.  I’m sure you’re aware of that.

No, it hasn’t. Much, yes. Not all.

And, no, Detroit is not in the dumps because of capitalism either (from other posters). There are way too many people who are way too eager to throw their favorite cliches at the city, and way too few people who post on the internet who admit that they don’t know much of the story.

Like me.

What I do know:

Detroit has lost a LOT of population.
Detroit’s city government has been deadlocked for a while. They can’t reliably agree on what services to cut because of the decreased revenue due to population loss.

. . . and there you have it. People can speculate on the reasons behind the population loss, but in a nutshell it’s the same problem that every governmental body in the world has, no matter the type, when they see a prolonged, severe decrease in revenue.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 24 July 2013 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

. . . and there you have it. People can speculate on the reasons behind the population loss, but in a nutshell it’s the same problem that every governmental body in the world has, no matter the type, when they see a prolonged, severe decrease in revenue.

There’s really no speculation to it Andrew. Saunders lays it all out in my former post. Detroit’s economic problems stem from a set of unique circumstances that caused it’s eventual decline from poor city planning to relying on a single industry, to racial inequality after an influx of African-Americans from the great migration. Racial tension exploded there after World War I and set the stage for what was to come in the 60’s. So a decrease in revenue is a result of several causes that hit Detroit like hammer blows. I have no doubt that it will recover in time but the city council needs to tackle those problems unique to Detroit first like poor lay out, better mass transit, safer streets, more service industries, and enticing businesses to relocate as is Texas at the moment. If it works for them it will work for Detroit, the home of Motown music. At least that’s something Detroiters can be proud of.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 July 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  623
Joined  2013-06-01

High inflation might be Detroit savor. Paying debt with inflated dollars is much easier.
I hear we can expect extra high inflation to hit us at anytime now.

Posted: 24 July 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 22 July 2013 11:07 AM

They may have divergent aims but they have similar results. If you go far enough to the left you find yourself rubbing shoulders with the far right extremists.

Yes, in that respect we’re in agreement. Radicals and reactionaries do share similar views and the methods are the same, but their core philosophies are very dissimilar. Totalitarianism takes many forms whether it be a political party or an oligarchy; both aim for power consolidation. I wonder which form Detroit’s interim mayor will take?

Cap’t Jack

He isn’t likely to be communistic, but his hands will be tied, no matter what his economic philosophy is.

Lois

Posted: 24 July 2013 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

He isn’t likely to be communistic, but his hands will be tied, no matter what his economic philosophy is.

I imagine that depends on the Governor who BTW advocates a “right to work” philosophy for Michigan. Snyder’s going to use Detroit as his cause célèbre to push through his conservative agenda and woe be to the unions there.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 July 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-07-05
Lois - 21 July 2013 06:47 AM

Detroit is a victim of untrammelled capitalism—

I find it so curious that Capitalist sycophants have extolled Adam Smith for years about his enlightened self interest philosophy but do not advocate mandatory accounting in the schools so EVERYONE can do a better job of managing their self interest.

Cheap computers everywhere and economists have said nothing about the depreciation of millions of cars for decades.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 26 July 2013 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Oh yes, Detroit, the consequences of white flight.

2 of 6