5 of 6
Detroit
Posted: 22 August 2013 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
VYAZMA - 21 August 2013 09:04 AM

You have the writing and spelling skills of 6th grade, yet you claim to have done everything from pick rutabagas in Juarez to installing the computer systems on the Space Shuttle.
Somebody with as much life experience and professional experience as you claim to have would never display the kinds of thought processes and cognition that you have shown. Even a stark conservative or radical leftist.
This has been most recently borne out in you asking me above on how I felt about the furrier. That makes me chuckle.

Or, Mike might be a non-native English speaker. Sometimes, I see people, especially who come from a non-European culture, have trouble with English grammar.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 22 August 2013 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  3198
Joined  2011-08-15

My feeling is that where the unions are needed the most they will not get represented because of the public’s feeling that the big government and teachers unions are to powerful. Watch as the government takes away Social Security benefits because of union pensions. This is wrong.

And once again this is largely do to the misinformation spread by extreme right wing politicians and conservative news media (who BTW continuously take pot shots at the mainstream media declaring the to be liibbbbbeeeral!) teacher’s unions have been continuously attacked by republican controlled satate governments by introducing “right to work” legislation. As to social security benefits being ended, ain’t gonna happen. There are too many older voters out there who need to be courted, and every politician knows that the over 50 crowd Has a better voting record. Right wingers can decry it as a “Ponzi scheme” but the voters aren’t buying the argument.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 August 2013 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
TromboneAndrew - 22 August 2013 07:52 AM

Or, Mike might be a non-native English speaker. Sometimes, I see people, especially who come from a non-European culture, have trouble with English grammar.

That wouldn’t change my opinion one iota.  I’ve seen plenty of ESL folks on here who can carry on a decent conversation and convey thoughts
that are balanced, contextual, based on logic and maintain a certain continuity. Even if their ideas are counter to mine or other’s ideas.
Mike’s throwing around statements, innuendo, anecdotes, and flat-out “exaggerations” constantly.
And he’s doing it in a manner that I and maybe others find offensive. No less so than if he was discussing race, creed, or religion.

There’s far more to it than ESL. He has conveyed plenty of ideas perfectly well in English that are outright fabrications and BS.
Don’t be such a softie T-Bone. Sometimes people’s “idiosyncrasies” just aren’t good.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 23 August 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
VYAZMA - 22 August 2013 10:13 AM
TromboneAndrew - 22 August 2013 07:52 AM

That wouldn’t change my opinion one iota.  I’ve seen plenty of ESL folks on here who can carry on a decent conversation and convey thoughts
that are balanced, contextual, based on logic and maintain a certain continuity. Even if their ideas are counter to mine or other’s ideas.
Mike’s throwing around statements, innuendo, anecdotes, and flat-out “exaggerations” constantly.
And he’s doing it in a manner that I and maybe others find offensive. No less so than if he was discussing race, creed, or religion.

There’s far more to it than ESL. He has conveyed plenty of ideas perfectly well in English that are outright fabrications and BS.
Don’t be such a softie T-Bone. Sometimes people’s “idiosyncrasies” just aren’t good.

I’m not defending his ideas; that’s his job. Just pointing out a possible reason for questionable English grammatical writing because you criticized it. I’ve seen some people pick up English quickly and seamlessly, and I’ve seen otherwise very intelligent people never really get the hang of it after decades.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 31 August 2013 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  623
Joined  2013-06-01

Hello TromboneAndrew,
Been out of town for a couple of days, playing catch up now.

Let’s see, where to begin, Vyazma is right on my English ability. I must have been in my late thirties before I could spell the months of the year, still having trouble. At fourteen was on my own working as a roughneck in the oilfield.  Made half a year of the sixth grade, by then I had gone to over thirty schools.

This is one of the many reasons I am on this site is to help with my grammar, so Vyazma is doing me a favor in pointing out my faults in grammar, at the same time exposing some of his miss-understanding about life. As communication is a skill and skills have to be learned, it is not something you are born with.

I never like reading because I could not pronounce names or places and that made reading un-enjoyable.

Saved up some funds and thought I would go back to school my junior year. I was told that I would have to go to the sixth grade. That was not going to happen. So I took the GED and entered the junior collage. I was put in a class for people with English trouble.

As luck would have it, in this town I had been to school three times up to the fifth grade in all totaling less than a years worth of schooling. I had relatives in this area and that was the reason I went back to the area. The English teacher at the college brought out some books gave to each of the students and ask if anyone could read them. She said the reason was that there was a school forty miles north of town that had taught the phonic alphabet and she was wondering if any of class was in that program.

It looked like Russian and nobody could read the books except me. I had no trouble reading the books. That was the first that knew that I had been taught on the phonic alphabet. The second two years of my schooling was on this alphabet.

You can see this alphabet at http://www.langsci.ucl.ac.uk/ipa/

That was a real relief, because I was thinking I had a brain disorder that caused me to be unable to spell and pronounce words.

I think the college could have helped me, but working in the oilfield made me an alcoholic, I thought I could stop drinking for school, but that didn’t happen, school only increased my drinking so I quit school after a few months and went back to the oilfields.

Pretty much have been on the fast track until I retired. Never did any correspondent that wasn’t rewritten by my secretary. I was so bad that spell checker couldn’t help.

I would like to comment on you statement, “I’ve seen otherwise very intelligent people …”.
My thoughts are that intelligent is in the thinking, reading, writing and communication are skills whereas math and science requires thinking. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have English skills.

I was also very surprised by what the brain retains at a very young age and how that can not be overridden by latter training. In the same line of thinking, Sunday school might be the grounds for a strong faith latter in life that can not be explained by reason.

Posted: 01 September 2013 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

Rhodtpr Post #59

On the BNSF pay, I ask a friend of mine who is retired from BNSF if that was possible for an engineer to make that much. He said maybe if he did a lot of overtime, but he would have to do a lot of overtime.

I did a quick internet search and this engineer for Long Island RR with a base pay of $75,389 made $250,401 with overtime. This is in 2011.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hop-gravy-train-lirr-engineer-pulls-250g-ot-pay-article-1.144099

The kid showed me the tower he worked in. It looks like a flight tower at the airport and is in the middle of the rail yard at Barstow. The way he explained it to me was the trains from San Bernardino brought the freight up the Cajon Pass to Barstow and then he reconfigured the trains for cross country out of Barstow. And he does this on his computer in the tower. Then he would transfer the train to another engineer and he would put together another train.

He said that he cannot put tankers of some chemicals to close together. Said he was the first group of engineers to use this system. 

Sound like you know trains, I got a box car a month ago I need to move it to the farm. I want to use it for storing seeds. It is old, made of oak. Real thick walls and ice was used for cooling. The guy told me that walls had horse hair for insulation. I think it is more likely sawdust, I can not imagine that much horse hair. I already have a couple of boxcars and they stay much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. They are steel with foam and then this fiberglass coated particle board. This oak box car is much smaller and I want to put it on tracks. The other cars have the wheels removed, but this one is old and I want to keep it original. I don’t understand why they did not use cypress or a wood that handles water better than oak, but the wood is in surprisingly good shape for as old as it is.

Posted: 02 September 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2013-08-20
MikeYohe - 01 September 2013 12:09 AM

Rhodtpr Post #59

On the BNSF pay, I ask a friend of mine who is retired from BNSF if that was possible for an engineer to make that much. He said maybe if he did a lot of overtime, but he would have to do a lot of overtime.

I did a quick internet search and this engineer for Long Island RR with a base pay of $75,389 made $250,401 with overtime. This is in 2011.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hop-gravy-train-lirr-engineer-pulls-250g-ot-pay-article-1.144099

The engineer and conductor in the article already work 6 days a week - they pull an extra shift or two per week and you are complaining that they earn too much?
If MTA really wanted to get their OT costs under control then they would hire additional manpower - but they won’t…because they know full well it’s easier and cheaper to pay an existing employee on the payroll to work an overtime shift to cover the empty slot.

The kid showed me the tower he worked in. It looks like a flight tower at the airport and is in the middle of the rail yard at Barstow. The way he explained it to me was the trains from San Bernardino brought the freight up the Cajon Pass to Barstow and then he reconfigured the trains for cross country out of Barstow. And he does this on his computer in the tower. Then he would transfer the train to another engineer and he would put together another train.

He said that he cannot put tankers of some chemicals to close together. Said he was the first group of engineers to use this system.

Barstow Yard is BNSF’s major hump classification yard that receives - sorts - dispatches trains into and out of the Los Angeles gateway;

“In the Barstow freight yard, trains going to or from Los Angeles and the San Francisco area are re-sorted to trains connecting to points in the east such as Alliance Yard, Argentine Yard and Corwith Yard; most BNSF trains originate or terminate at Barstow with only a few exceptions.

As a major classification yard, it has 10 receiving tracks (capacity 1420 cars), 48 classification tracks (capacity 2000 cars) and 10 departure tracks (capacity 1370 cars)”.

Your friend was probably working as a yardmaster in the control tower…he does not, repeat does not actually operate the trains coming into or out of the yard via remote control. He may program the hump classification yard for inbound trains as they are pushed over the hump and broken up into the class yard…and he may operate remote control switches in the yard for his yard crews - he may also have an “emergency stop” control for the remote hump yard engines while they are being operated by a crew on the ground using a beltpack…but he does not operate trains from his tower in any sense of the word.

That’s what BNSF pays unionized “running trades” employees to do.

As far as dangerous commodities being marshalled within a train - ever since the CPR Mississauga disaster in 1979 railways in North America have been marshalling dangerous goods carried on their trains according to guide lines set out by the regulatory agencies that govern rail way operations. CPR was the first - since they had to pay the bill for evacuating a city of 250,000 people for over a week…and the rest of the rail roads have fallen in lock step over the years.     

Sound like you know trains, I got a box car a month ago I need to move it to the farm. I want to use it for storing seeds. It is old, made of oak. Real thick walls and ice was used for cooling. The guy told me that walls had horse hair for insulation. I think it is more likely sawdust, I can not imagine that much horse hair. I already have a couple of boxcars and they stay much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. They are steel with foam and then this fiberglass coated particle board. This oak box car is much smaller and I want to put it on tracks. The other cars have the wheels removed, but this one is old and I want to keep it original. I don’t understand why they did not use cypress or a wood that handles water better than oak, but the wood is in surprisingly good shape for as old as it is.

White oak is superbly suited for these purposes…tough as nails and lasts forever - that’s why it is commonly used in wooden boat building.

Like I said earlier…if there is anything about rail roading you want to know just ask.

grin

Posted: 04 September 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

Rohodtpr,

Hey, thanks for the information. I bet you got some good shop talk stories.

[… and you are complaining that they earn too much?]

No, not at all, I think it is great that the working man has the opportunity to make a great living. And the reason for this can only be given to the actions of the union.

What I am saying is that the United States needs strong unions, but not monopoly types of unions.

The wealth should be spread around to everybody, not just management and investors. 

Unions are what keeps a balance in our employment system and it is out of balance right now.

Posted: 05 September 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22
MikeYohe - 04 September 2013 12:59 PM

Rohodtpr,

Hey, thanks for the information. I bet you got some good shop talk stories.

[… and you are complaining that they earn too much?]

No, not at all, I think it is great that the working man has the opportunity to make a great living. And the reason for this can only be given to the actions of the union.

What I am saying is that the United States needs strong unions, but not monopoly types of unions.

The wealth should be spread around to everybody, not just management and investors. 

Unions are what keeps a balance in our employment system and it is out of balance right now.

Not to mention enforcing safety rules.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 15 September 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Joined  2010-04-22

http://www.freep.com/article/20130915/NEWS01/130801004/Detroit-Bankruptcy-history-1950-debt-pension-revenue

The Detroit Free Press just came out with a pretty well-researched article covering exactly the subject of this thread. Worth a read.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 15 September 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
TromboneAndrew - 15 September 2013 12:11 AM

http://www.freep.com/article/20130915/NEWS01/130801004/Detroit-Bankruptcy-history-1950-debt-pension-revenue

The Detroit Free Press just came out with a pretty well-researched article covering exactly the subject of this thread. Worth a read.

I read the whole thing today T-Bone.  You started out this thread by saying that the problem was complicated and many layered.
How true.  Detroit went bankrupt but there are so many mirror examples of that kind of decline, corruption, mismanagement in lots of US cities.
Some have adjusted better than others, some just haven’t gone “officially” bankrupt.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 17 September 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
VYAZMA - 15 September 2013 04:06 PM
TromboneAndrew - 15 September 2013 12:11 AM

I read the whole thing today T-Bone.  You started out this thread by saying that the problem was complicated and many layered.
How true.  Detroit went bankrupt but there are so many mirror examples of that kind of decline, corruption, mismanagement in lots of US cities.
Some have adjusted better than others, some just haven’t gone “officially” bankrupt.

Not really mentioned in the article was that while Coleman Young does have a fiscally responsible record, he was (still is) pretty well-known for extreme levels of corruption which the later mayors had to deal with. The general gist I get is the Archer was rather ineffective and couldn’t deal with the Detroit bueaucracy, and Kilpatrick embraced it in all it’s glory, not even bothering to try to fix the system. The current mayor Bing has done the best he can with an impossible situation, which isn’t really much. Keep in mind that while Kilpatrick is currently in jail, there are still other ongoing Federal probes into fraud and corruption in various parts of Detroit and Wayne County. It’s a mess not just financially.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 17 September 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
TromboneAndrew - 17 September 2013 01:05 PM

Not really mentioned in the article was that while Coleman Young does have a fiscally responsible record, he was (still is) pretty well-known for extreme levels of corruption which the later mayors had to deal with. The general gist I get is the Archer was rather ineffective and couldn’t deal with the Detroit bueaucracy, and Kilpatrick embraced it in all it’s glory, not even bothering to try to fix the system. The current mayor Bing has done the best he can with an impossible situation, which isn’t really much. Keep in mind that while Kilpatrick is currently in jail, there are still other ongoing Federal probes into fraud and corruption in various parts of Detroit and Wayne County. It’s a mess not just financially.

Yeah I noticed a preponderance of Coleman Young praising.  Even in the ancillary articles and that neighboring OP-ED piece.
I was sensitive to the ease in which Wall St was willing to put that package deal together for Kilpatrick.(it was Kilpatrick right?  The big Bond Deal?)
Everybody got paid on that one!

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2013 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
VYAZMA - 17 September 2013 04:47 PM

I was sensitive to the ease in which Wall St was willing to put that package deal together for Kilpatrick.(it was Kilpatrick right?  The big Bond Deal?)

Yup, that’s from him. Everyone hoped to get paid, assuming that the State or the Feds would bail Detroit out. Frankly, I hope they get shafted. Preying on deliberate fiscal irresponsibility and waiting for government bailouts cannot be good long-term strategy.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 17 September 2013 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
TromboneAndrew - 17 September 2013 08:18 PM
VYAZMA - 17 September 2013 04:47 PM

Yup, that’s from him. Everyone hoped to get paid, assuming that the State or the Feds would bail Detroit out. Frankly, I hope they get shafted. Preying on deliberate fiscal irresponsibility and waiting for government bailouts cannot be good long-term strategy.

Yeah, they bailed out Wall St too.
So everybody got paid except the poor who are not able to get out of Detroit.
That big bond deal was supposed to help make union pensions solvent among other things.
The article stated that the bond was based on credit swaps and derivatives. I’m not close to an expert, I just know those are bad words from all of the hype from the 2008-09 crash.

Signature 

5 of 6