3 of 5
Was Christianity created by the Flavians?
Posted: 23 August 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4616
Joined  2007-10-05
LilySmith - 23 August 2013 12:07 PM

And I’m sorry you can’t understand the distinction between what brings the End Times and what the end times bring.  That seemed so simply to me.

I am sorry you cannot understand the distinction between what you believe and what a lot of other Christians believe. Seems to me an all-powerfull god would be a better communicator than Yahweh.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 23 August 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2242
Joined  2012-10-27
LilySmith - 21 August 2013 08:57 AM
Carl-Sagan - 20 August 2013 10:39 PM

And I’m just wondering if any of this evidence presented is indeed legit ideas accepted by historians or were they completely made up out of thin air?

I’m not a historian, but I am a Christian.  I watched two minutes of the video and saw the same old conspiracy nonsense that I’ve seen before.  George Bush never said God told him to go to war.  He’s a Methodist, not a Dominionist.  You can look up that controversy.  Also, Christians don’t think that war in the ME will bring the End Times.  The truth is that the Hebrew Scripture alludes to a Messiah who will not only restore the nation Israel, but will also reconcile non-Jews to God.  The Christian Scripture teaches that Jesus is that Messiah—the Christ.  The NT is in Greek, because it contains the message to non-Jews. 

At one time Christianity could have been used to control the masses before they had bibles and could understand the message for themselves, but not today.

That’s not the reason the NT was written in Greek. It’s in Greek because Greek was the language of scholars at the time. It was also a common spoken language in 1st century Judea.

Whatever language the NT had been written in, it would not have been known by a lot of non-Jews. It would still have had to be translated.

Lois

Posted: 23 August 2013 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2242
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 21 August 2013 10:37 AM
LilySmith - 21 August 2013 08:57 AM

The Christian Scripture teaches that Jesus is that Messiah—the Christ.

The problem is that the Messiah was supposed to be related to David, something that Jesus is not. The NT does show how Jesus is related to David through Joseph, but Joseph wasn’t really Jesus’s dad, was he? So, as per the Scripture, Jesus is automatically not the Messiah. You believe in the wrong god, and probably end up in hell. Sorry.  confused

You may be believing in the wrong god, too.  And that god may be as sadistic as the one you believe in. Sorry.

Lois

Posted: 23 August 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  804
Joined  2009-10-21
DarronS - 23 August 2013 12:55 PM

And I’m sorry you can’t understand the distinction between what brings the End Times and what the end times bring.  That seemed so simply to me.

I am sorry you cannot understand the distinction between what you believe and what a lot of other Christians believe. Seems to me an all-powerfull god would be a better communicator than Yahweh.

So, LilySmith, let’s say your are right, that what you are telling us about Christianity is the correct interpretation. I know people who have said war will bring the End Times. DarronS gave us some sites that say it. Surely you can agree that there are many other people who say that, or say something different from what you say. So, how do I know which is right? And if the answer is pray and study the Bible, surely you agree that is exactly what every other person, with all those different opinions would say. There are 30,000 or more Protestant denominations, each with a doctrine, written up, and constantly reviewed by people who have trained their entire life to do just that, but you’re telling me, I should trust you. Why?

Posted: 23 August 2013 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2013-07-25
Lausten - 23 August 2013 02:11 PM
DarronS - 23 August 2013 12:55 PM

So, LilySmith, let’s say your are right, that what you are telling us about Christianity is the correct interpretation. I know people who have said war will bring the End Times. DarronS gave us some sites that say it.

Actually Darron didn’t.  He gave some links to books that speak about the end times, but don’t say war brings the end times. If war brings the end times, why didn’t WWII bring the end times?  Why haven’t all the wars fought over the last two thousand years brought the end times?  I know of no denomination or serious teachers that says war brings the end times. No Christian is proclaiming, Let’s start a war so we can bring the end times.  That’s nonsense.  I guess if you don’t bother to study but rely on conspiracy theorists to do your thinking for you, I guess you could be fooled.

Posted: 23 August 2013 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
LilySmith - 23 August 2013 03:39 PM

Actually Darron didn’t.  He gave some links to books that speak about the end times, but don’t say war brings the end times. If war brings the end times, why didn’t WWII bring the end times?  Why haven’t all the wars fought over the last two thousand years brought the end times?  I know of no denomination or serious teachers that says war brings the end times. No Christian is proclaiming, Let’s start a war so we can bring the end times.  That’s nonsense.  I guess if you don’t bother to study but rely on conspiracy theorists to do your thinking for you, I guess you could be fooled.

There you go equivocating again. WW II was not fought in the Middle East. You’re either really bad at geography of intellectually dishonest. either way you are only fooling yourself. I notice you haven’t mentioned the part where I said I met Lindsey and LaHaye and heard them preach about how war in the Middle East is a sign of the end times and the imminent return of Jesus on his white horse. that doesn’t fit your worldview, does it?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 23 August 2013 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2013-07-25
DarronS - 23 August 2013 03:46 PM

There you go equivocating again. WW II was not fought in the Middle East. You’re either really bad at geography of intellectually dishonest. either way you are only fooling yourself. I notice you haven’t mentioned the part where I said I met Lindsey and LaHaye and heard them preach about how war in the Middle East is a sign of the end times and the imminent return of Jesus on his white horse. that doesn’t fit your worldview, does it?

WWII was fought in the ME- “The Mediterranean and Middle East Theatre was a major theater of operations during the Second World War.”  ~Wiki

Hal Lindsey and Tim LaHaye preaching that a SIGN of the end times is war, is not the same as saying Christians want to start a war in the ME to bring the end times as the conspiracy video the OP linked to claimed.

Posted: 23 August 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I never said Christians want to start a war to bring the end times. The major theatres of operations in WW II were in Europe and the Asian Pacific.

Edit: corrected grammar.

[ Edited: 23 August 2013 04:48 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
LilySmith - 23 August 2013 03:39 PM

So, that’s your answer? I should trust you because you can give a partial response to one of the many questions I raised? I’m not asking you to respond to every possible question about the Bible, I’m asking how one can differentiate between the many commentaries. I know how I do that when it comes to something like quantum physics, something I will never be able to understand fully or I know what to do when I need surgery or when I buy a car. But there is no way to determine which of the churches in my little town is the right one. They can’t all be right. They disagree on minor issues about what heaven is actually like to big ones like abortion and homosexuality. So how does anyone go about choosing?

Posted: 25 August 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2013-07-25
Lausten - 23 August 2013 08:07 PM

So, that’s your answer? I should trust you because you can give a partial response to one of the many questions I raised?

I’ve never told you to trust me for anything.  What you choose to believe is up to you.  If you’re an atheist, why are you trying to choose a church anyway?  If you want to know what I believe, I will tell you that.  And if you make a claim about Christians that is blatantly untrue, I will try to present the evidence to show you your error.  Christians aren’t trying to start a war in the ME to bring the end times, and Christianity wasn’t created by the Flavian Dynasty.

Posted: 25 August 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
LilySmith - 25 August 2013 03:23 PM
Lausten - 23 August 2013 08:07 PM

So, that’s your answer? I should trust you because you can give a partial response to one of the many questions I raised?

I’ve never told you to trust me for anything.  What you choose to believe is up to you.  If you’re an atheist, why are you trying to choose a church anyway?  If you want to know what I believe, I will tell you that.  And if you make a claim about Christians that is blatantly untrue, I will try to present the evidence to show you your error.  Christians aren’t trying to start a war in the ME to bring the end times, and Christianity wasn’t created by the Flavian Dynasty.

You really like to play with words don’t you? I’m not looking for a church. What you believe is not as important as what can be shown to be true.

You are making statements about Christianity. You are claiming that you can “show me my errors”. So we agree that if anyone here makes a statement, they should have some sort of basis for it. Your basis is often the Bible or some theological commentary. Why should that be considered evidence? Why should it be considered equal to peer reviewed history or other forms of reason and logic?

Posted: 27 August 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2013-07-25
Lausten - 25 August 2013 04:34 PM

You are making statements about Christianity. You are claiming that you can “show me my errors”. So we agree that if anyone here makes a statement, they should have some sort of basis for it. Your basis is often the Bible or some theological commentary. Why should that be considered evidence? Why should it be considered equal to peer reviewed history or other forms of reason and logic?

The Bible is where Christians have said, “This is what we believe.”  If you want answers about Christianity, the Bible is where you will find them.

Posted: 27 August 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
LilySmith - 27 August 2013 12:47 PM

The Bible is where Christians have said, “This is what we believe.”  If you want answers about Christianity, the Bible is where you will find them.

While that statement is true, it does not answer the question.

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2013-07-25
DarronS - 27 August 2013 02:11 PM
LilySmith - 27 August 2013 12:47 PM

While that statement is true, it does not answer the question.

I think I did.  Lausten says I make statements about Christianity and can show him the errors he makes concerning Christian beliefs.  Since the Bible is the authority of what Christians believe, that’s what I use to correct any error on the subject.  Peer reviewed history and the use of worldly reason and logic do not tell us about Christian beliefs.  They may be used to critique Christianity, but they aren’t the authority on what Christianity is.

Posted: 27 August 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
LilySmith - 27 August 2013 03:23 PM

Since the Bible is the authority of what Christians believe, that’s what I use to correct any error on the subject. 

Okay, so, the Bible is some sort of open book test with the answers in the back or something. Let’s see, reviewing my posts, I give myself 100% and you get an F.

Sound about right?

3 of 5