5 of 5
Was Christianity created by the Flavians?
Posted: 02 January 2014 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-01-01

The text here has been deleted since you repeated it exactly in the second post, only without erroneous quotation symbols.  Occam

[ Edited: 03 January 2014 09:51 AM by Occam. ]

Posted: 02 January 2014 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-01

My original statement: (Coincidentally, this is also why the definition of marriage should always remain as it has always been - the connection that is like God and the church between one man and one woman.)

As it has “always been”?  The bible and other historical records are replete with examples of polygamy.  Where do you get the idea that marriage between one man and one woman has “always been”?  Your definition of “always” is an odd one.

Lois

——-
My current response:

Yes, Adam and Eve created man and woman, one mate each different gender.—- If you will notice, anytime in the Bible where more than one wife or concubine is added to the marriage, severe negative consequences ensue from polygamy in the Bible. (cf: Abram and Sarai, adding Hagar to the equation = Ishmaelites and their wicked off-spring in the Bible and Barack Obama’s Muslim brotherhood, Jihad, Mosques, Hamas, suicide bombers, and Islamic terrorism for us in the 21st century.)

Posted: 02 January 2014 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6046
Joined  2009-02-26

cartoon_sub,
My current response:
Yes, Adam and Eve created man and woman, one mate each different gender.—- If you will notice, anytime in the Bible where more than one wife or concubine is added to the marriage, severe negative consequences ensue from polygamy in the Bible. (cf: Abram and Sarai, adding Hagar to the equation = Ishmaelites and their wicked off-spring in the Bible and Barack Obama’s Muslim brotherhood, Jihad, Mosques, Hamas, suicide bombers, and Islamic terrorism for us in the 21st century.)

If you will notice, anytime the Bible is taken literally, severe negative consequences ensue from zealotry and bigotry. I don’t need to list the atrocities committed in the name of the Biblical God.

And, cartoon_sub, you have now revealed yourself as a spiritual zealot and a racial bigot. You are a bad, bad boy! snapoutofit.gif

I am done with you.

[ Edited: 03 January 2014 03:13 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 January 2014 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  6046
Joined  2009-02-26
Scott Mayers - 29 August 2013 10:12 AM

In redressing Atwill’s Caesar Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Christianity, unlike anyone here so far, I have read his book, not his advertisements to sell the book. While I am skeptical of certain aspects of his theory, his arguments are still quite interesting and have a good logical interpretation to it. Know that a title itself isn’t the content. While many titles directly relate to its content, the function of it is to catch the interest of an audience for further inspection. Even if you don’t accept all his ideas and connections, he shows a very good circumstantial case for serious consideration. But you must invest the time to read what he has to say and how he developed his ideas in order to see how he derived his hypotheses, not to mention what precisely it is.

By reading his work, it helped me to open up to a different understanding of the possibility of the Bible’s formation being related to being written as intentionally being a functional piece of propaganda and form of entertainment meant to be understood in the contexts of the audience of the times. It showed how there were common apparent connections to other sources of the times both in comparative relationships to the Jewish Wars at the time and the order in which they perfectly align to another historical commentator who wrote then, namely, Joseph Flavian. His main idea was to suggest that the Bible was written originally as a satire of the Jewish Wars for an audience of the day that would understand it within its original contexts but got carried away and evolved to become the functional foundation of a new religion.

Even if you still came to disagree with him, it is highly entertaining in its development and shows how we can see other possible ways of recognizing how the work could have evolved within a secular perspective. It’s great book and I highly recommend it.

I have searched high and low, but nowhere do I find a Josephus Flavian. The closest I can come is the name Josephus Flavian Gomes, apparently a modern scholar in economics.
However, I did come up with a Flavius Josephus who lived during the Flavian rule.

The extant manuscripts of the writings of the 1st century Romano-Jewish historian Flavius Josephus include references to Jesus and the origins of Christianity.[1][2] Josephus’ Antiquities of the Jews, written around 93–94 AD, includes two references to Jesus in Books 18 and 20 and a reference to John the Baptist in Book 18.[1][3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus .

and the plot thickens,

Caesar’s Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus

Interesting documentary/theory about who invented Jesus and Christianity and why. I’m not so sure I buy all of this but there’s a lot of great information here and obviously someone invented Jesus we know in Christianity.

Here’s a sinopsis.

Based on the best-selling religious studies book by Joseph Atwill, this documentary shows that Jesus is not a historical figure, the events of Jesus’ life were based on a Roman military campaign, his supposed second coming refers to an event that already occurred, and the Gospels were written by a family of Caesars who left us documents to prove it. http://www.democraticunderground.com/121877674

But why Roman Emperors would encourage christianity as a benign practice may be interesting but unlikely. Jesus was a rabble rouser and today, if someone went to a bank and created havoc he would be arrested and charged with serious crimes. I doubt that the government later would say that this guy was a peaceful man who just wanted to make a philosopical statement. I would compare that to the US government proposing that David Koresh’s Branch Davidian was a benign practice and should now be encouraged, after we burned his compound and followers to the ground.

However, there is evidence that Roman diplomats often made deals with local leaders, to gain their loyalty. Of course this usually happened after the opposition was completely destroyed and the Romans needed local administrators to deal with.

[ Edited: 03 January 2014 04:22 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 January 2014 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013/10/joseph-atwill-has-not-proven-that-jesus-was-made-up-by-the-romans/

See the above for the debunking of Atwill’s thesis. The experts, even the mythisists like Carrier point out the obvious flaws in Atwill’s book. It seems that he just made up the idea out of whole cloth without carefully studying the original texts in the original language. In short, it’s bunk.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 January 2014 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

Barack Obama’s Muslim brotherhood

question

You are a bigot and an ideologue. These forums will be better off when you tire of trolling us and go elsewhere.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 03 January 2014 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-01

My original message:

WRITE4U:
If you will notice, anytime the Bible is taken literally, severe negative consequences ensue from zealotry and bigotry. I don’t need to list the atrocities committed in the name of the Biblical God.

And, cartoon_sub, you have now revealed yourself as a spiritual zealot and a racial bigot. You are a bad, bad boy!

My response:
Every instance where God commanded something in the Bible - no matter what you want to call it, “atrocity” or not, every instance in the Bible where something negative happened, if you go back and read the text, you will find before-hand that whatever negative consequence the person or people received, it was from a direct result of a sin that the person or people committed. For example, Egyptians put Israelites into slavery, so God bloodied Egypt’s nose so bad, they never recovered as a world-power. So, no - you don’t need to list negative consequences of sin found in the Bible - all anyone NEEDS to do to find out the TRUTH is to read the Bible for themselves and draw their own conclusions from reading the ENTIRE book.

Concerning: “zealot” and “bigot”—as Major Payne humorously said: “the’z no need fo’ name callin’.” LOL —- as far as being a “bad, bad boy”: well, thank you! Most girls like the “bad boy” anyway.

But as far as you trying to paint me into a corner as being untruthful or unfair—you failed on that point.—- I am done with you as well, W4U.

Posted: 03 January 2014 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-01

DarronS said:

You are a bigot and an ideologue. These forums will be better off when you tire of trolling us and go elsewhere.

My response:
White people like you called Malcom X and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. the same thing—so I am in good company.

Posted: 03 January 2014 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09
cartoon_sub - 03 January 2014 02:32 PM

Yes, Adam and Eve created man and woman

In fact, according to Genesis GOD created man and woman. Have you actually read the Bible? You don’t seem to know it very well.

every instance in the Bible where something negative happened, if you go back and read the text, you will find before-hand that whatever negative consequence the person or people received, it was from a direct result of a sin that the person or people committed.

Ah, I guess that Jesus fellow was a very sinful guy, which is why God got the Romans to execute him….

all anyone NEEDS to do to find out the TRUTH is to read the Bible for themselves and draw their own conclusions from reading the ENTIRE book.

Well, I did in fact read the entire book, and how it came to be called the “good book” is a complete mystery to me. It’s a sorry chronicle of lies, insanity, cowardice, duplicity, genocide, savagery and more lies. The Old Testament seems to be nothing more than a (fictional) attempt to justify the Israelites’ invasion of Canaan and the slaughter and enslavement of its people, on the basis that, “Well, yeah, we murdered all those people, all those men and women and boys - you’ll notice we spared the girls, we kept them for ourselves - and stole all their land and property, but it’s okay because God told us to do it, and we’re God’s chosen people.” Right, well, everyone thinks they’re God’s chosen people; in the 16th century it was the Spaniards, in the 19th century the British, today it’s the Americans….

And the New Testament isn’t much better; its message, if you can call it that, is legalistic and political, but scarcely religious. Follow the rules, don’t rock the boat, don’t ask awkward questions, believe what you’re told to believe, obey those whom it has pleased God to place in authority over you no matter how cruel and hypocritical they are, and God will reward you - in Heaven - after you die. Whereas if you ask questions and try to think for yourself, you’ll burn in Hell for all eternity. This sounds right on the same level as those offers you sometimes get in the mail - or, increasingly these days, online - “CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU have WON a Caribbean cruise for two, a brand new Lincoln Town Car and $250,000 in spending money!!! And all you have to do to claim your prize is to send a cheque for $499, your bank details and your PIN number to Box 666, Deception, Michigan….”

I think I’ll pass on that one.

TFS

Posted: 04 January 2014 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

DarronS said:

My response:
White people like you called Malcom X and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. the same thing—so I am in good company.

Let’s see, Daron is white, and all white people are bigots who hate Black leaders of the Civil Rights movement, therefore, being “in good company”, you just named yourself exactly what Darron labeled you, an ideologue and a bigot. You might be more at home on the Klan or militia sites. They just love burning crosses and talking about Jesus.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

5 of 5