1 of 2
Truth for youth!
Posted: 20 January 2007 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-01-09

Don’t know if this has been posted before, but I found this really disturbing!

http://www.thetruthforyouth.com/standard/main.htm

Posted: 23 January 2007 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-11-01

I don’t know why you find it disturbing.

First of all there is “Tim Todd Ministries. All rights reserved.”  Send him all your money in the name of his God, the big buck. grin

Religions and religious people have been lying, killing, cheating, etc for thousands of years.  They just have developed a way to “make it all right” with their God.  The big bucks are just a benefit.  LOL

Elder Norm

Signature 

ARO "www.aro-religion.org"  The belief in Reality and the organized seach for its measure.

Posted: 24 January 2007 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-01-09

I guess it’s because I’m from Ireland, we simply don’t get this type of stuff over here, it would not be acceptable. Seeing something aimed so specifically at youngsters if horrible to see. Do you think people like this actual believe all the say or do they rationalise being dishonest because they think it is for some greater good?

Posted: 24 January 2007 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

We have a thread about the “Jesus Camp” movie here on the site as well; it’s a documentary about a loony Christian indoctrination camp. (Apparently since closed down). There are lots of religious youth-groups, and youth-directed paraphernalia around here.

If you think about it, what other purpose do sectarian schools have? And those they do have worldwide ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 January 2007 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-01-09

If you think about it, what other purpose do sectarian schools have?

Sectarian schools here are often more a relic from the past, and are more of a ‘clan’ thing than an religous one. By religous I mean particular beliefs, morals etc, here it is more about religous labels. In other words ‘are you a catholic atheist or a a protestant atheist?’

Posted: 02 February 2007 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  968
Joined  2005-01-14

I would have thought, since Ireland is supposedly an even more religious country than the United States, that you’d be even more oppressed over there, Irish.  Do you suppose it has something to do with the Puritan history of America or something?  Or is Europe as a whole just more open-minded about religious and philosophical differences between people?

Posted: 05 February 2007 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

In my short life, meaning 17 yrs, it is my understanding that catholics are way more progressive and tolerant compared to baptist and methodist. Maybe it because i live in the bible belt.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 16 February 2007 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  968
Joined  2005-01-14

I do like that point about being a “catholic atheist or a a protestant atheist”!  This is probably a profound insight into the way people really see religion.

Posted: 07 March 2007 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Funny they mentioned peer pressure…

One time at a church, I was peer pressured into taking back what I said about evolving from monkeys not being dumb… fifteen minutes after their talk about not being peer pressured…

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 09 April 2007 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-01-09

I’m back, been away for a while!!  :shock:

I would have thought, since Ireland is supposedly an even more religious country than the United States, that you’d be even more oppressed over there, Irish.

Not at all. Maybe 20/30/40 years ago but certainly not these days. The fundamentalists you guys have in the State would simply not be taken seriously. Hence something like Evolution/ID is a non-issue here thankfully.

Or is Europe as a whole just more open-minded about religious and philosophical differences between people?

Probably. There is probably a lot more cultural diversity in Europe, which may have something to do with it.

I do like that point about being a “catholic atheist or a a protestant atheist”! This is probably a profound insight into the way people really see religion.

Indeed it is IMO.

One time at a church, I was peer pressured into taking back what I said about evolving from monkeys not being dumb… fifteen minutes after their talk about not being peer pressured…

LOL, typical. Peer pressure is bad” except when we do something which might seem like peer pressure but really it isn’t. It’s just not OK. LOL I love religious logic.  :?

Here in the Republic most school are Catholic, apparently some of them are now refusing to accept kids who can’t produce a baptism cert.  :evil:  Strange that people can still get away with this type of thing.

:?

Posted: 09 April 2007 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

[quote author=“irishatheist”] By religous I mean particular beliefs, morals etc, here it is more about religous labels. In other words ‘are you a catholic atheist or a a protestant atheist?’

It maybe because I’m from the Bible Belt too, but somehow Catholic Atheist or Protestant Atheist sounds like an oxymoron.  Christian and Atheist?  :?  I never heard of such a thing.  Usely around here, they are after one’s children and pound non-believers over the head with their book and alike.  rolleyes  Do I believe they believe what they preach?  Some do and some just give it lipservice out of fear.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 09 April 2007 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-01-09

Hi Mriana,

I have to saw that sounds like a place I’d hate to live in!!

With regards to Catholic atheist or Protestant, yes it sounds like an oxymoron but it makes sense. It doesn’t really matter here in the republic (ie south), where 90% + are officially catholic, although not necessarily really practicing. Most probably wouldn’t agree with a LOT of what the Catholic Church officially teaches but would still identify themselves as catholic. Go figure.

In the North however, where the Troubles were, it is a very different story. The population there is divided about 40/60 Catholic -/Protestant. Here the label is hugely important and it doesn’t matter at all if you are actually religious or not, that has little really to do with it. They are labels for different communities and although things have gotten a lot better in recent times, the divisions are still there. Whether you might be an atheist or anything else has nothing to do with it. A remember a show here a few years ago where an American comedian who lives here was doing a TV show from up there. A young lad came up and asked him ‘are you a catholic or a protestant?’ He replied that he wasn’t religious. The guy asked him ‘what’s that got to do with it?’

It’s a strange world.  :shock:

Posted: 10 April 2007 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4082
Joined  2006-11-28

Coming from an Irish American family removed by more than 100 years from Ireland, I always used to tell people that “Irish Catholic” was really more of a genetic than a religious characteristic. Even the most devout in the family, my grandmother, didn’t have much use for the idea that the Church could tell you what to do in matters personal or political. Yet she would announce herself as a Catholic defiantly in a time in American history when it was likely to engender dislike and discrimination, and she could argue about Parnell and Partition like she’d been there even though her ancestors left Ireland in the 1860s.

I’ve progressed farther along the road to being agnostic bordering on atheist, but I still have what you might call Catholic sensibilities and aesthetics, so I agree that there’s a lot more to such identity labels than religion, even in America.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 10 April 2007 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

Well, I guess if one can go to an Episcopal or U.U. here and be a non-theist/atheist and/or a Humanist, one can be a Catholic/Protestant atheist.  Robert Price is a Humanist and attends an Episcopal church.  Spong calls himself a non-theist and is a retired Episcopal bishop, not to mention I use to attend until I asked myself a few years ago why are you bothering when you don’t even believe what they are preaching and don’t really want to be there?  Starks is a non-theist and attends the U.U. as do many others.  So, I can see that label attached to atheist.  Why not?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 April 2007 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-04-21

The full-color comics would have me hooked.

Posted: 20 May 2007 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2006-11-24

Our soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan should not be sent into battle without Bibles!
Each box has 25 Bibles in it.  The Bibles cost only $4.00 each to print.  The shipping is free by air-lift, on military transports.

Does anyone know what the rationale is for weighing down military transport planes with thousands of pounds of religious doctrine?

1 of 2