Podcast: Moral Minds by Marc Hauser
Posted: 23 January 2007 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Marc Hauser is Harvard College Professor, Professor of Psychology, Organismic & Evolutionary Biology and Biological Anthropology, and Director of the Cognitive Evolution Lab.

His podcast is about his book [i:7e0f04cc5d]Moral Minds[/i:7e0f04cc5d], where "he argues that the human brain evolved an inherent ethical instinct that forms the basis of our moral systems." It’s a very interesting talk, involving cross-cultural studies of moral intuitions, of which Hauser believes we are not cognitively aware.

The lecture list is HERE, although as time passes the particular event will progress down the page.

To download the podcast MP3 itself, click HERE.

It is from the New York Academy of Sciences Science & the City podcast series.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 January 2007 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Thanks, Doug.

I started reading Moral Minds, but then I got The Voyage of the Beagle and The Origin of the Species for Christmas and I never finished Hauser’s book. Have you read it? What did you think? I’ll come back to the book after I am done with Darwin. I’ve read about one third of Moral Minds so far, and I felt that the book doesn’t need to be “that long”. Hauser often repeats himself and takes unnecessarily long before coming to a conclusion.

Posted: 23 January 2007 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Haven’t read the book, George, although it’s on my list now. I suppose if you want a one-hour intro into his thinking, this might be a good place to start.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 January 2007 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2006-04-28

I look forward to listening to this thanks! smile

Signature 

Know Thyself