3 of 3
how do we keep the good things religions provide?
Posted: 03 September 2013 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Lois,
A book would become absolutist, like the bible.  We don’t need an absolutist screed.

No, the beauty is that, unlike the bible, it can be amended along with knowledge and new philosophical insights.

By necessity it would not be possible to be absolute (as is the bible). Do you consider the Constitution and B.O.R. as absolute? We have already amended it several times and we call it “a work in progress”. But it is the law of the land and theoretically, if you act against someone’s constitutional rights you can be sued for satisfaction.
But you cannot kill a person (an eye for an eye) or issue a fatwa (contract) to extract satisfaction. That is an absolute no.

But I am not speaking of a communist carrying his little red book.  I see a moral guide based on secular humanist values, which can be taught in school to introduce a secular humanistic view of the world, rather than the Sunday religious indoctrinations of what God has told the preacher on the previous Saturday night (while having a glass of wine).

As there are Universal constants and functions that have produced our world, so do I believe there are secular humanist constants which (in principle) can produce a peaceful world.

Compilation and distribution in book form (essential to people without access to computes) is the real problem. But you can find a bible almost everywhere around the world. Theists had 2000 years to accomplish that considerable feat.

[ Edited: 03 September 2013 10:54 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 September 2013 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09
Write4U - 03 September 2013 10:37 PM

Lois,
A book would become absolutist, like the bible.  We don’t need an absolutist screed.

No, the beauty is that, unlike the bible, it can be amended along with knowledge and new philosophical insights.

By necessity it would not be possible to be absolute (as is the bible). Do you consider the Constitution and B.O.R. as absolute? We have already amended it several times and we call it “a work in progress”. But it is the law of the land and theoretically, if you act against someone’s constitutional rights you can be sued for satisfaction.
But you cannot kill a person (an eye for an eye) or issue a fatwa (contract) to extract satisfaction. That is an absolute no.

But I am not speaking of a communist carrying his little red book.  I see a moral guide based on secular humanist values, which can be taught in school to introduce a secular humanistic view of the world, rather than the Sunday religious indoctrinations of what God has told the preacher on the previous Saturday night (while having a glass of wine).

As there are Universal constants and functions that have produced our world, so do I believe there are secular humanist constants which (in principle) can produce a peaceful world.

Compilation and distribution in book form (essential to people without access to computes) is the real problem. But you can find a bible almost everywhere around the world. Theists had 2000 years to accomplish that considerable feat.

Lois probably has no clue at all how ironic her comment is.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

3 of 3