1 of 3
Corporations Over Democracy?
Posted: 05 September 2013 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

Corporations over democracy?

I’m writing to let you know about a secret trade deal that would threaten our democracy and help giant mega-corporations become even more powerful. This agreement, known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), would allow companies to sue and overturn democratically created laws if they hurt those companies’ profits. For example, cities that vote to ban fracking could then be sued by greedy gas companies over lost profits — totally undermining local laws and the democratic process itself.

The scariest part? Only a few members of Congress have even seen the details of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, while about 600 corporations have weighed in on the ins and outs of this deal.

The TPP would include 12 countries that border the Pacific, making it the largest free trade deal ever considered by the U.S., and also probably the biggest corporate power grab in history. This trade deal threatens everything we fight for. And to make matters worse, President Obama wants to approve this plan himself — without the input of the American public or Congress.

Take action today to protect the rights of Americans to decide what laws they want to live under. Sign the petition to stop the fast track of the Trans-Pacific Partnership!

Thanks for taking action,
Sarah Alexander
Food & Water Watch
act(at)fwwatch(dot)org

Posted: 05 September 2013 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2233
Joined  2007-04-26

I havent read the law but I’m just wondering if the real debate here is between federal rights vs states rights ( or local govt rights). If we decide as a country to allow fracking and its part of an overall energy policy but we then allow local governments to create a patchwork of laws across the country they could in theory derail a policy that might benefit the nation. The same argument could apply to laws that permit cell phone companies to install towers and limits the rights of local governments to stop them.

In some cases a law like this seems essential to allow the country to get things done that need to be done despite local opposition. I’m sure there is a more ominous side to this but again I didn’t read the law so feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking here.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 06 September 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2012-04-25

“Secret trade deal” - really Lois, I never took you to be a conspiracy nut.  How could this be secret if there’s a very public site for it: http://www.ustr.gov/tpp

Posted: 06 September 2013 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

Hey, Cuthbert, it is a secret because the site is currently undergoing maintenance.  wink

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 06 September 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
CuthbertJ - 06 September 2013 10:34 AM

“Secret trade deal” - really Lois, I never took you to be a conspiracy nut.  How could this be secret if there’s a very public site for it: http://www.ustr.gov/tpp

Don’t shoot the messenger!  I just passed it on as an interesting idea. I don’t accept conspiracies.  But maybe this will get some people to focus on something other than space aliens, Americans bringing down the World Trade Center and that Obama was born in Kenya.

Lois

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

The government site is back online. I browsed the information available and it seems pretty innocuous. Government reps, industry reps, NGO reps, academic reps from all over the world in a long series of negotiations working to codify international trade regulations including commerce, copyright and other routine stuff. I went to foodandwaterwatch.org and found absolutely nothing about these negotiations. Seems the email may be an urban legend.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 06 September 2013 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
DarronS - 06 September 2013 02:10 PM

The government site is back online. I browsed the information available and it seems pretty innocuous. Government reps, industry reps, NGO reps, academic reps from all over the world in a long series of negotiations working to codify international trade regulations including commerce, copyright and other routine stuff. I went to foodandwaterwatch.org and found absolutely nothing about these negotiations. Seems the email may be an urban legend.

That’s always a possibility. Thanks for the research.

Lois

Posted: 06 September 2013 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  449
Joined  2012-02-02
macgyver - 05 September 2013 03:36 PM

I havent read the law but I’m just wondering if the real debate here is between federal rights vs states rights ( or local govt rights). If we decide as a country to allow fracking and its part of an overall energy policy but we then allow local governments to create a patchwork of laws across the country they could in theory derail a policy that might benefit the nation. The same argument could apply to laws that permit cell phone companies to install towers and limits the rights of local governments to stop them.

In some cases a law like this seems essential to allow the country to get things done that need to be done despite local opposition. I’m sure there is a more ominous side to this but again I didn’t read the law so feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking here.

Its said that one of the reasons why nuclear power in the US hasn’t taken off is that there’s so many different state regulations of nuclear power plants, that each unit has to be custom built, thus adding tremendously to the cost.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 07 September 2013 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
Coldheart Tucker - 06 September 2013 09:16 PM
macgyver - 05 September 2013 03:36 PM

Its said that one of the reasons why nuclear power in the US hasn’t taken off is that there’s so many different state regulations of nuclear power plants, that each unit has to be custom built, thus adding tremendously to the cost.

Most likely it’s because nuclear power is so dangerous to the environment and all the earth’s creatures.  I’m not sure it can ever be made safe.

Lois

Posted: 07 September 2013 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Personally, I love nuclear power.  I just want to keep it where it is functioning very well, on the sun.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 September 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam. - 07 September 2013 10:13 AM

Personally, I love nuclear power.  I just want to keep it where it is functioning very well, on the sun.  LOL

Occam

Yesssir!! Occam….yessir!!
How ‘bout that Fukashima ehh?  LOL
That’s a tempest in a teapot!
What would happen if an earthquake hit there right now?
Ohhh..those temporary waste coolant tanks!  The cracked reactor vessels hanging precariously by a thread….

edited to add “waste” in front of coolant tanks.

[ Edited: 07 September 2013 12:02 PM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 07 September 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22
Lois - 07 September 2013 08:16 AM

Most likely it’s because nuclear power is so dangerous to the environment and all the earth’s creatures.  I’m not sure it can ever be made safe.

Lois

It is “made safe” in most reactors in the world. We just hear about the problem ones.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 07 September 2013 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22
TromboneAndrew - 07 September 2013 12:39 PM

Lois

It is “made safe” in most reactors in the world. We just hear about the problem ones.

Year like Three Mile Island

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 07 September 2013 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

OK, just to clarify my post for anyone who didn’t get it.  The energy put out by the sun and all stars is the result of nuclear fusion.  As such, when we use solar panels or wind power, it’s from the sun and therefore, ultimately, nuclear.  So I was merely being a wise-ass and saying I’m in favor of it, but keep it on the sun.  I wasn’t arguing for nuclear here.  Geez.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 September 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam. - 07 September 2013 03:33 PM

OK, just to clarify my post for anyone who didn’t get it.  The energy put out by the sun and all stars is the result of nuclear fusion.  As such, when we use solar panels or wind power, it’s from the sun and therefore, ultimately, nuclear.  So I was merely being a wise-ass and saying I’m in favor of it, but keep it on the sun.  I wasn’t arguing for nuclear here.  Geez.

Occam

I got that Occam.  Maybe you took the extension of my comments as a counter, but it was merely re-inforcement.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 08 September 2013 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
TromboneAndrew - 07 September 2013 12:39 PM

Lois

What makes you think one of the “problem ones” isn’t going to affect you or your loved ones?  Got any guarantees for us?

1 of 3