2 of 2
The United States should lead a targeted strike in Syria.
Posted: 12 September 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  817
Joined  2012-04-25

This situation though is worse than the US being the policeman for the world. It’s the policeman punishing others for actions he himself does more than anyone else.  Lawrence O’Donnell had a great segment the other day about napalm. His basic point was, the US itself is and has been the worlds largest and worst purveyor of chemical weapons. It literally supplied them to dictators and encouraged the dictator to use them! (Saddam Hussein by Reagan) And before that used them to such an extent that the UN created a treaty against using napalm that most other countries signed except the US, until 2009!  It was the world telling the US to stop.

Can you imagine if your local police chief, who you knew dealt in drugs to kids, for example, gave a speech about how he’s going to go after the southside neighborhood for dealing drugs to kids?  You’d probably applaud him in public, then meet with your other neighbors secretly on ways to bring him down. The hypocrisy would drive you mad.  And this is no different from how other countries feel about the US, regardless of POTUS.

[ Edited: 12 September 2013 10:31 AM by CuthbertJ ]

Posted: 12 September 2013 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2013-08-29

I do not think that the U.S. should lead a strike, nor that there should be any strike unless conducted by the U.N. Here’s why:

1) I listened to Obama’s address (well, I only read it in a White House e-mail that was sent out), and it was indeed reasonable and convincing. However, earlier that day I had received another e-mail by Rabbi Michael Lerner of Tikkun Magazine addressing Obama’s not yet formulated address and Congress. The point of Rabbi Lerner made more sense to me. Point 2 addresses that point.

2) The U.S. has forfeited any right to be “world policeman” by virtue of their own human rights violations. Speaking of “American Interests” rather than human rights made me ponder the first moment I heard it. What? American Interests? - That was my point. The Rabbi pointed out that any strike would not end the war, nor remove Assad, so it would simply be a “showing muscle”, which will enrage people even further. Which leads to point 3.

3) In the e-mail I got it was acknowledged that it was “clumsy” and not the best solution there is, but it pointed to a different direction, a different logic of dealing with these things for the future. And one in that America could lead, non-violently. - Since neither a strike nor no strike would end the war, the only other means are diplomacy. The hands of the U.N. are tied because of Russia’s and China’s veto rights. Would the U.S., would Obama call for a similar meeting outside the U.N., utterly democratic, no large nations having veto rights, an international decision on these things could be reached, and should the nations vote for a strike it would be a worldwide decision, under a leadership they might choose, possibly the U.S. - But so far, without the U.N., without even wanting to do anything other than showing power, this type of “warfare” will never end. It will just keep going and going. The entire logic has to change.

I did take Obama’s message as very good, but thinking about future scenarios like that these “old school” punishments by the bigger powers against the smaller ones… they don’t do anything except keeping rumors underground waiting for the next best opportunity to try again.

The point of chemical weapons in the hands of others, possibly terrorists, was a good one… but I see Bush rhetoric. Unless this is about human rights, I really do not think the U.S. has to fear anything. Terrorism? Way overblown in its power, hence of good use to people that like fighting.

In case you care to see the e-mail I mentioned, here is the link:

http://www.tikkun.org/nextgen/syria-what-obama-should-do

[ Edited: 12 September 2013 03:48 PM by Michelle D. ]
 Signature 

“Metaphysical speculation is an expression of poetic illusion.”

Posted: 14 September 2013 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4863
Joined  2007-10-05

Syria “expert” cited by Kerry and McCain fired for lying about her résumé.

During last week’s Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on possible military strikes against Syria, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) read from an “important op-ed by Dr. Elizabeth O’Bagy,” whom he described as a “Syria analyst at the Institute for the Study of War.” That group fired O’Bagy Wedensday after learning she had falsely claimed she holds a Ph.D.

Meet the new boss, same as the Old Boss.

At least the Republicans don’t seem inclined to bend over and let Obama lead us into a fruitless war as the Democrats did with Shrub.

[ Edited: 14 September 2013 07:04 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 14 September 2013 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

Who stepped in and attacked he US for using chemical warfare in Viet Nam? Oh, wait, that was the US. No harm, no foul. Everything’s just fine.

Lois

Posted: 14 September 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

I don’t think a country ever forfeits the right to help enforce international law and protect innocent people. We should stop our own abuses.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 17 September 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

PLEASE CAN WE ALL STOP TRYING TO “FIX” THE MIDDLE EAST??

The Middle East has been broken for generations.  It cannot be fixed from outside.

Posted: 20 September 2013 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 11 September 2013 09:23 PM

I think we need to stay out of somebody else’s civil wars. The side of the angels is rarely apparent, often doesn’t exist, and more often then not, all you do is exchange one corrupt brutal and venal regime for one which is worse.

(And who the hell are WE to “punish” a sovereign state?)

Wisely said. international conflicts are not that easy to resolve. Though the UN should technically be taking care of this, who knows if that plans gonna work out this time.
Here is also an interesting post by a former CIA-agent.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/whats-the-evidence-behind-the-case-for-war/

However, as said above, the conflict is intricate and the above article may always be correct

Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

2 of 2