3 of 3
Here’s a chuckle
Posted: 19 September 2013 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2232
Joined  2007-04-26

I was trying to research this password issue and came across an interesting study of password use. Somehow microsoft claims they got 1/2 million users to agree to “opt-in” to have their password activity monitored for the study. The study is interesting but how they got that many people to opt-in to something like that boggles my mind.

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/74164/www2007.pdf

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 19 September 2013 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

First, they probably put a tiny opt-out button in the middle of all sorts of legalese, then when people missed it, they were opted-in.

Since the only thing I keep on this computer is all my papers on my views of society, politics, ethics, atheism, thinking, etc.  I’d be delighted if anyone hacked my computer and copied all of my writing.  I figure that’s the only way I’ll ever get anyone to read them.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 September 2013 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  625
Joined  2013-06-01

From what I have been hearing, MS would have had better luck with passwords if they went to the NSA. Oh wait, maybe this was to cover an already existing NSA/MS operation. Maybe they don’t know for sure how much information Snowden has.

Posted: 20 September 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

I can see the reason to change some passwords, say on bank accounts, though I resent being forced to change them on a regular basis.  What really drives me crazy is the need to change passwords on things like Scrabble and Apple Apps. What is a hacker going to do with my Scrabble games?  Play them for me?  I can’t see how anyone could download apps to their own computer using my password, or why they’d want to.  As for Apple passwords in general, every time I try to enter one they tell me it is the wrong password, even though I have it written down and it worked the last time I used it.  I have many Apple passwords, none of which work. But when I go through their ridiculous system of changing it once again, I can’t use any of the passwords I have used in the past year! As of now, I have no idea which of ten or more passwords i have written down will work—presumably none of them.  When I do successfully change my Apple password I get a message that my ICloud password is incorrect.  I change it to my new password and when I go back to the App store, I’m told that my new password is incorrect and all I can do is change it and go through the whole asinine, incomprehensible exercise once again. Out of frustration I went into an Apple store to get my Apple password changed so I would have one password for all my Apple accounts.  They changed it for me. By the time I got home, about half an hour later, the new password would not work for any Apple program.

Lois

Posted: 29 September 2013 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
macgyver - 17 September 2013 09:25 AM

I’m beginning to think the only people they are keeping out of the website are the people who are actually authorized to use it.

I’m beginning to think the most secure job in the world is the IT department’s existence to reset passwords at $8-$11 each. I know what my ‘retirement’ job will be.  smirk

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 September 2013 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Lois - 20 September 2013 10:46 AM

I can see the reason to change some passwords, say on bank accounts, though I resent being forced to change them on a regular basis.  What really drives me crazy is the need to change passwords on things like Scrabble and Apple Apps. What is a hacker going to do with my Scrabble games?  Play them for me?  I can’t see how anyone could download apps to their own computer using my password, or why they’d want to.  As for Apple passwords in general, every time I try to enter one they tell me it is the wrong password, even though I have it written down and it worked the last time I used it.  I have many Apple passwords, none of which work. But when I go through their ridiculous system of changing it once again, I can’t use any of the passwords I have used in the past year! As of now, I have no idea which of ten or more passwords i have written down will work—presumably none of them.  When I do successfully change my Apple password I get a message that my ICloud password is incorrect.  I change it to my new password and when I go back to the App store, I’m told that my new password is incorrect and all I can do is change it and go through the whole asinine, incomprehensible exercise once again. Out of frustration I went into an Apple store to get my Apple password changed so I would have one password for all my Apple accounts.  They changed it for me. By the time I got home, about half an hour later, the new password would not work for any Apple program.

Lois

Whenever my iphone updates, I have to reset my At&t password on my phone…which I’ve usually forgotten since my computer ‘remembers’ it, so I have to go through the tedious task of resetting my At&t password, and it is extremely picky as to what it accepts. I am pretty sure I have this one memorized, but it won’t work for my phone….  angry

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 September 2013 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 19 September 2013 06:28 PM

First, they probably put a tiny opt-out button in the middle of all sorts of legalese, then when people missed it, they were opted-in.

Since the only thing I keep on this computer is all my papers on my views of society, politics, ethics, atheism, thinking, etc.  I’d be delighted if anyone hacked my computer and copied all of my writing.  I figure that’s the only way I’ll ever get anyone to read them.  LOL

Occam

LOL

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

I’d be rather upset if someone hacked into my computer.  They might steal all my game save files and GMing notes.  It would be a huge, time consuming pain in the coccyx to replay/write all that.  Grodd knows I don’t have any money in my bank account (or my passwords for that on my hard drive.)

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

3 of 3

‹‹ Brazil      things kids say ››