2 of 2
Nostalgia’s Fear of Beauty
Posted: 23 September 2013 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2013-08-29
TimB - 23 September 2013 05:58 PM

I recall a case from a general psychology class.  Twin boys, at birth, had circumcisions.  Something went terribly wrong with one of these.  It was decided to do sex change procedures on this one and to raise him as a girl.  The child did not know about this and as he grew older, he began having gender confusion issues.  (I guess he felt like a boy in a girl’s body.)  I’m not sure what has become of this person.

I’m not sure what point I’m making.  It just occurred to me to share this memory.

Hi Tim, ... I have no idea about the case you are talking about, but I’m almost certain that the Law & Order SVU episode I mentioned earlier drew on it from the way you describe it, as that’s what they do, use actual cases and create useful stories from them, often that is, not always.

Signature 

“Metaphysical speculation is an expression of poetic illusion.”

Posted: 23 September 2013 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2013-08-29
Lausten - 23 September 2013 06:15 PM

I just noticed several details for your icon, and they make sense given this post.

I’m very careful in doing things, especially when it comes to symbols. Yes, my “little icon” says more than I sometimes wish. :-)

If you ever meet a girl with that thing on her ankle… it’s either me or an imitator :-)

Signature 

“Metaphysical speculation is an expression of poetic illusion.”

Posted: 23 September 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2698
Joined  2011-04-24

I recall a case from a general psychology class.  Twin boys, at birth, had circumcisions.  Something went terribly wrong with one of these.  It was decided to do sex change procedures on this one and to raise him as a girl.  The child did not know about this and as he grew older, he began having gender confusion issues.  (I guess he felt like a boy in a girl’s body.)  I’m not sure what has become of this person.

I’m not sure what point I’m making.  It just occurred to me to share this memory.

You might be referring to David Reimer.  He committed suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 23 September 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3186
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 23 September 2013 08:07 PM

You might be referring to David Reimer.  He committed suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

Yeah.  I see.  The moral of the story seems to be that we shouldn’t try to change someone’s gender identity.  One’s particular innate biology, is likely too much of an over-riding factor.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

2 of 2