Maturity.
Posted: 24 September 2013 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2013-09-18

Who defines the boundary between maturity and immaturity? What defines the age of such things come into being and is it cruel and unusual punishment to prosecute those above and below a certain age for acting according to their personal level of maturity.

(1) Should we as adults condemn those people who are mentally, physically and emotionally able to get gainful employment, because there was once a time where children were exploited. Would it not be more prudent to supervise such young people and allow them to follow their desires if said young person was capable and the environment was structured for the abilities of such people. I’m not talking child labor, but for certain people who have an early grasp on reality such as Mozart had, under the tutelage of his father.

(2) Should maturity be taken into account for those who have sex with anyone below the age of consent?  Should there be perimeters set which allows persons withing a set age group to be consensual, lets say both within 5 years of each other and no more than 3 years on either side of the age of consent?

(3) Finally, Should maturity be a factor in criminal trials in which a minor commits a capital crime and if so, what age should the perpetrator be immune from being prosecuted as an adult?

Posted: 24 September 2013 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24
WuCares - 24 September 2013 08:38 PM

Who defines the boundary between maturity and immaturity? What defines the age of such things come into being and is it cruel and unusual punishment to prosecute those above and below a certain age for acting according to their personal level of maturity.

(1) Should we as adults condemn those people who are mentally, physically and emotionally able to get gainful employment, because there was once a time where children were exploited. Would it not be more prudent to supervise such young people and allow them to follow their desires if said young person was capable and the environment was structured for the abilities of such people. I’m not talking child labor, but for certain people who have an early grasp on reality such as Mozart had, under the tutelage of his father.

I’m not sure what you mean here.

(2) Should maturity be taken into account for those who have sex with anyone below the age of consent?  Should there be perimeters set which allows persons withing a set age group to be consensual, lets say both within 5 years of each other and no more than 3 years on either side of the age of consent?

There are perimeters like that in place, but the actual age of consent is very debatable.

(3) Finally, Should maturity be a factor in criminal trials in which a minor commits a capital crime and if so, what age should the perpetrator be immune from being prosecuted as an adult?

Maturity is factor, at least on paper, whether or not it’s taken into account realistically is a different story.

IMO, any child who has started puberty should not be immune from being prosecuted as a adult.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 25 September 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

?  Condemn?  Where did that come from?  Kids are allowed to work.  I can think of several that have been in the Entertainment Industry.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 September 2013 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-09-18
TimB - 25 September 2013 10:31 AM

?  Condemn?  Where did that come from?  Kids are allowed to work.  I can think of several that have been in the Entertainment Industry.

The entertainment industry is a special case, because of the profit the administrators can achieve. Try looking at more main stream jobs and see how few employment opportunities are there for those under 18.

Posted: 25 September 2013 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
WuCares - 25 September 2013 03:56 PM
TimB - 25 September 2013 10:31 AM

The entertainment industry is a special case, because of the profit the administrators can achieve. Try looking at more main stream jobs and see how few employment opportunities are there for those under 18.

It’s your topic.  How about you list some employment opportunities that you want kids to have? Also I think there are High Schools that have work study programs.  Maybe some that help kids get internships.  I saw something on the news not long ago that some kids were learning to repair cell phones and were making a business out of it.  AFAIK, kids can become entrepreneurs.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 September 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-09-18
TimB - 25 September 2013 05:05 PM

It’s your topic.  How about you list some employment opportunities that you want kids to have? Also I think there are High Schools that have work study programs.  Maybe some that help kids get internships.  I saw something on the news not long ago that some kids were learning to repair cell phones and were making a business out of it.  AFAIK, kids can become entrepreneurs.

Well, If I ran a country I might be able to bring up a extensive list of opportunities, but I don’t. The labor laws of this country reflect the mindset of the turn of the last century.

Posted: 25 September 2013 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Come on, Wu.  I didn’t ask for an extensive list, just some employment opportunities that you want kids to have (that they don’t now have).  You don’t have to run a country, to think about what you are trying to convey here, or to perhaps, just do an internet search that might help you come up with a short list.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2013 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  623
Joined  2013-06-01

WuCares,
Training the young people, we use to do that and England still does. It is built into the school and factory system of England.

It went out the door here with over regulation. I think some hospitals still use what they call Candy Stripers. But for the most part the regulations have allowed the lawyers to create a liability that is too great to train our young people. Some state still have the schools close in the summer so the kids can help with the harvest.