RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2013-09-18

223033_700b1.jpg

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2012-04-25

Interesting. I learned two things. From #8 I now realize why I’m such a nutcase…I cycle through all those positions every night. And from #11 I realized why we should all be very suspicious of giraffes…if they only sleep 1.9 hrs a day, what are they up to the other 22 hrs?

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

I think just about all of us do, Cuthbert.  The problem with lists like this is indicated at the end where it lists many different sources.  Some of them are based on careful statistical study, but others could be some psych grad student’s guess that s/he got published in a very minor journal.  We have to be careful about not having a heart attack from the size of the grain of salt with which we should take them.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 October 2013 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2243
Joined  2012-10-27
CuthbertJ - 21 October 2013 10:04 AM

Interesting. I learned two things. From #8 I now realize why I’m such a nutcase…I cycle through all those positions every night. And from #11 I realized why we should all be very suspicious of giraffes…if they only sleep 1.9 hrs a day, what are they up to the other 22 hrs?

Haute cuisine.

Lois

Posted: 21 October 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

Did you see the article also recently about how sleep is a brain flushing mechanism.
Apparently sleep is the time when the brain flushes out bad stuff. Material stuff.  Chemicals.
Not just bad thoughts.
I never read the article. I hoping to see more from this though.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 21 October 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2013-09-18
VYAZMA - 21 October 2013 12:33 PM

Did you see the article also recently about how sleep is a brain flushing mechanism.
Apparently sleep is the time when the brain flushes out bad stuff. Material stuff.  Chemicals.
Not just bad thoughts.
I never read the article. I hoping to see more from this though.

I saw that as well. Very interesting, indeed. science is such a brilliant light to the world. I wish our ancestors decided to worship that instead of images. We would probably have conquered Cancer and be on Mars, by now. It seems a lot more noble a pursuit than arguing with neanderthals about who should be able to merry who. Good grief we’ve just broke even on genetic roulette. I often wonder why those who deny our ancestry with apes fail to recognize they carry most of their character traits.

Posted: 21 October 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Very interesting.  Not sure if I buy all of it, such as rapist and child-molesters being in parasomnia, but none the less, very interesting.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 October 2013 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

#7 seems problematic to me.  How can you be sure if a person doesn’t dream or simply doesn’t remember their dreams upon waking?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 25 October 2013 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-10-24
Dead Monky - 25 October 2013 07:47 AM

#7 seems problematic to me.  How can you be sure if a person doesn’t dream or simply doesn’t remember their dreams upon waking?

They do studies on people to determine sleep cycles and amount of REM sleep, etc. fascinating stuff.

Recently one of my students told me about the brain flushing article. Now I’m curious and I’m going to have to go find it and see what it says.

Some interesting tidbits on this sleep list though. In canada parasomnia has gotten 1 offender off on a murder charge. This defense has been used by others both in the US and in Canada but juries haven’t bought it.

Stacy

Posted: 25 October 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
CuthbertJ - 21 October 2013 10:04 AM

<snip>And from #11 I realized why we should all be very suspicious of giraffes…if they only sleep 1.9 hrs a day, what are they up to the other 22 hrs?

Necking?

LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain