I don’t have any atheist friends
Posted: 20 October 2013 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-10-20

Cool site. I like all the traffic. I am tired of googling stuff to try and get answers. I am from Chattanooga TN. I am a Christian, and all my friends are either agnostic or Theists like me. This leads to some very boring conversations. And I don’t have anyone to ask about the very unique world view that is atheism (please pardon the labels there if incorrect) I am a student of philosophy, specifically Nietzsche, and have a decent understanding of the humanities, with an M.A. in English, and I’ve read a few of the more classical works on cosmology, relativity, and the new physics. But I have questions about atheism, not to argue, but to understand what it all entails and how it refutes or engages specific arguments that I hear being constantly thrown around. I truly wish to convey respect for this site’s mission, and I want to know if it includes dialogue with people of faith who are curious. If not, is there a forum within the community which could accommodate me? -LL

Posted: 21 October 2013 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2242
Joined  2012-10-27
The Last Lamenter - 20 October 2013 10:10 PM

Cool site. I like all the traffic. I am tired of googling stuff to try and get answers. I am from Chattanooga TN. I am a Christian, and all my friends are either agnostic or Theists like me. This leads to some very boring conversations. And I don’t have anyone to ask about the very unique world view that is atheism (please pardon the labels there if incorrect) I am a student of philosophy, specifically Nietzsche, and have a decent understanding of the humanities, with an M.A. in English, and I’ve read a few of the more classical works on cosmology, relativity, and the new physics. But I have questions about atheism, not to argue, but to understand what it all entails and how it refutes or engages specific arguments that I hear being constantly thrown around. I truly wish to convey respect for this site’s mission, and I want to know if it includes dialogue with people of faith who are curious. If not, is there a forum within the community which could accommodate me? -LL

You probably know more atheists than you’re aware of.

Try these groups, right in Chattanooga.

http://www.chattfreethought.com/

http://atheistic-humanism.meetup.com/cities/us/tn/chattanooga/

You might see some of your neighbors there. 

Lois

[ Edited: 21 October 2013 02:29 AM by Lois ]

Posted: 21 October 2013 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24
The Last Lamenter - 20 October 2013 10:10 PM

But I have questions about atheism, not to argue, but to understand what it all entails and how it refutes or engages specific arguments that I hear being constantly thrown around. I truly wish to convey respect for this site’s mission, and I want to know if it includes dialogue with people of faith who are curious.

You will be welcome here, Last Lamenter. Curiosity is held in very high regard by just about everyone on this site.

[ Edited: 21 October 2013 03:54 AM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 October 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5167
Joined  2010-06-16

Hi, Last Lam.  We try to keep this site as organized as we can to facilitate discussion.  I’ve deleted the second thread you posted here since it was identical to your first one.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 October 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5167
Joined  2010-06-16

First, I’ll bet that a fair number of your agnostic friends are really atheists who just don’t want to upset their theist friends or get into arguments. 

Second, we have had quite a few theists join the forum, unfortunately mostly as missionaries.  Some do wish to discuss and stay around quite a while.  However, the concept of not bothering with the concept of a god is rather simple and doesn’t lend itself to protracted discussions. 

Two frequent topics are proof or disproof of god’s existence (or whether that subject is worth discussing) and the source of human morality.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.