3 of 3
More Big Pharma Payola.
Posted: 15 November 2013 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
macgyver - 15 November 2013 12:27 PM

And you base this conclusion on what? Can i see the analysis you did? All i see is a personal bias you have

Personal Bias?  No that’s you! Obviously. I’ve listed the reasons why psychopharmacology is a market driven device.
It’s a market driven device that results in over-prescriptions.  Of course due to the highly subjective nature of diagnosis….
It’s very hard for any oversight.  That and Big Pharma has an influence on regulators to begin with.

And how do we make money by prescribing psychiatric meds? Oh yeah I forgot. A rep came to our office two years ago and I got a free sandwich. That should help me retire early. Vyaz, you haven’t listened to a thing I’ve been telling you or you conveniently marginalized it as being the exception rather than the rule because it doesn’t fit your world view.

You are a very self-centered person Mac.  Since page one this thread has been all about you hasn’t it?  It’s friggin’ annoying!!
“I don’t get this!”  “I don’t do that!”  This thread isn’t about you Mac.
Doctors make money prescribing meds by setting up appointments with patients and then seeing them, whereupon they proceed to
prescribe said meds.  The next phase is to set up a new appointment for a return visit, check in and refills for meds. I presume doctors get paid for those appointments, right Mac?  Yeah.
That’s how doctors make money prescribing meds Mac. It must be a boon to all MDs!!  Especially with the onset of TV ads and Prozac and the fact that any old doctor can prescribe them.

Your arguments don’t support your views. On the one hand you claim that the vagaries of diagnosing psychiatric illness are there and yet you see this as an excuse for doctors to prescribe more medication instead of seeing the difficult position this puts physicians in.

I don’t know if this makes sense or what. In any case it does not represent anything I have said. You going for the “cheap” crap too now?

they want to help their patients and do whats best for them but there is no test and no objective way to be completely sure of the diagnosis so they use the tools that are available to them and since there is no clear cut way of knowing who will benefit and who wont they are forced to treat people in spite of that uncertainty because they have no other choice.

And you asked me how doctors make money prescribing meds?  Are you really a doctor? Seriously?

And by the way restless leg is not something you have or don’t have. Its highly analogous to many psychiatric illnesses where its very much a judgement call. The same is true for fiibromyalgia

Yeah that’s why I didn’t list Restless Leg Syndrome. Did you notice that?  Did you see that I didn’t list RLS?
Many doctors express the view that the incidence of Willis-Ekbom Disease/restless leg syndrome is exaggerated by manufacturers of drugs used to treat it.
-Woloshin, Steven; Schwartz, Lisa M. (2006). “Giving Legs to Restless Legs: A Case Study of How the Media Helps Make People Sick”. PLoS Medicine 3 (4): e170.

[ Edited: 15 November 2013 08:47 PM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 15 November 2013 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1434507/
Excerpt-

Kalman Applbaum teaches medical anthropology at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America. KA is the author of The Marketing Era: From Professional Practice to Global Provisioning (Routledge 2004). E-mail: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Because illness is one of the most tangible forms of suffering, the pharmaceutical industry, more than other industries, can link its marketing activities to ethical objectives. The result is a marriage of the profit-seeking scheme in which disease is regarded as “an opportunity” to the ethical view that mankind’s health hangs in the balance. Marketers and consumers in the West to some extent share a common vision of needs and the terms of their satisfaction. This apparent complicity helps even the most aggressive marketers trust that they are performing a public service. Pharmaceutical company managers that I speak to signal this when they characterize their engagement with the public as “doing good while doing well.”

These managers also see nothing wrong with integrating doctors, patients, and other players into the drug distribution channel. On the contrary, they say, this is state-of-the-art management, making it professionally principled and tactically astute. Marketers also regard the incorporation of consumers into the channel as ethical because then people’s needs can best be determined and satisfied, conferring upon them the power of self-determination through choice.

© 2006 Kalman Applbaum. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
PMC National Library of Medicine   National Institute of Health

You must be one of those “managers” MacGeyver.  That’s exactly what you say.  To a tee.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 15 November 2013 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

MacGeyver-All i see is a personal bias you have

Personal Bias?  Are you flippin’ serious?  You’re a hoot!

Let’s examine my “personal bias”.
I was Shanghaid and put on a banana boat to Singapore by Doctors?  Nope, never happened!
I tried out for pre-med but failed?  Nope never happened!
I was personally mis-diagnosed with a disorder and given psychotropic drugs?  Nope never happened!
I wanted to develop a new drug but it was rejected by the FDA(due to other Pharma influences)?  Nope never happened!

I can go on and on.  Why don’t you just tell me what my personal bias is.  I’m dying to know.

You’re ridiculous!  You’re obviously trying to project your own personal “bias” here.
I said it before and I’ll say it again, I think you are a company shill.  You probably don’t even know it.
You can’t see the forest for the trees anymore.

It really makes me mad that I waste my time arguing with such an “operator”.

My personal bias?  I’ll keep bombing this thread with more doctors and scholars views and evidence until the cows come home!
Then you can hear the personal bias of an informed, ethical, responsible community.

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2013 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

And you base this conclusion on what? Can i see the analysis you did? All i see is a personal bias you have

And a whole lot of vitriol. I wonder why?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 November 2013 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26
asanta - 15 November 2013 11:13 PM

Asanta he has his own agenda and is impossible to have a logical discussion with. I’m out. You may want to do the same.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 16 November 2013 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Because of comments like this one right here Asanta. If you want to insinuate something Asanta have the cojones
to say it. Go for it!

I started a thread about a controversial subject that is being examined by the public and professionals alike.
It has a number of viewpoints.

From the get go I get comments from a nurse who makes comments about conspiracies.
And a doctor who obviously takes this subject personally and probably
benefits from psycopharmacology in one way or another and is towing the company line.

[ Edited: 16 November 2013 10:44 AM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2013 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
macgyver - 16 November 2013 06:09 AM

Asanta he has his own agenda and is impossible to have a logical discussion with. I’m out. You may want to do the same.

I’m out too.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 November 2013 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
asanta - 16 November 2013 09:56 PM
macgyver - 16 November 2013 06:09 AM

I’m out too.

That’s right Asanta, do what MacGeyver tells ya to do. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2013 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

VYAZMA, as per our rules, please strive to keep the discussion away from personal attacks and baiting. Discussion and inquiry becomes impossible otherwise. Thanks.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 November 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
dougsmith - 18 November 2013 08:10 PM

VYAZMA, as per our rules, please strive to keep the discussion away from personal attacks and baiting. Discussion and inquiry becomes impossible otherwise. Thanks.

Yep, I gotcha.  Thank you.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2014 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-02-02

It isn’t easy to drum up a lot of sympathy for Big Pharma. For every breakthrough, there’s a scandal. There are numerous concerted efforts out there to keep individuals off narcotics. That extends to pharmaceuticals also, as some companies want to keep people off generic narcotics.

3 of 3