2 of 2
Top Ten Signs You’re a Fundie Christian
Posted: 22 November 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  792
Joined  2009-10-21
rodin46 - 19 November 2013 10:23 PM

A man was once called delusional for having faith in Jesus. He replied, ” If having a job that puts food on the table and a roof over my head, a caring wife and happy children , transportation, etc , etc then I thank God for the delusion He has provided that enables me to live this way”  Amen

There are very few cases where I agree with this. Someone who has spent much of their life on drugs for instance. Someone who for whatever reason has had their ability to function normally in society stunted. If they find Jesus and quit disrupting the lives of others, I’m reluctant to intervene.

But you are referring to someone who apparently has held their life together and is raising children. This is someone who should be able to at least consider the dangers of basing their decisions on irrational reasoning. I wonder how he decides something like whether or not he should support bombing Iran. Does he look at whether or not the decider prayed enough? Or went to the right church? Or does he consider the history of military interventions of the past? How does he decide how to punish his own children? Does he open the Bible and try to find a rule that applies to whatever they did and use the same punishment they used 3,000 years ago? Does he sit in a room with his head bowed, and hope the correct answer pops into his head somehow? Or does he read a modern book on the psychology of parenting?

The things listed in this example can and have been arrived at by people for centuries, with no help from God.

Posted: 27 November 2013 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

7, add: destruction of the entire human race except for eight people in a supposed flood that covered the earth with water, which—- well, where did it go when the flood ended? And how did those eight people manage to collect a mated pair from every species on Earth, put them all onto a boat for several weeks, then return them all to their native habitats afterward?

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 27 November 2013 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

On what basis does anyone declare which Christians are “true” Christians and which are not? How does anyone who claims to live by the Bible square that seeming arrogance with the humility found in many places in the Bible?

The Bible says to love thy neighbor in some places but it also says to kill people for a wide variety of reasons in others.

I’m curious to know why a theistic Christian comes to this site, and what standards she/he brings to any discussion here.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

2 of 2

‹‹ A Saint I Never heard of.      God’s role ››