God’s role
Posted: 15 November 2013 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  783
Joined  2012-04-25
Lois - 14 November 2013 05:54 PM
deros - 13 November 2013 05:50 AM
Lois - 11 November 2013 02:33 PM

What is god’s role in the Philippine disaster? What is god’s role in helping the victims

First, to ask if god had a role you have to assume an all knowing and loving god exists.  Since nothing was done, I think that puts an end to any such assumption.

But believers do make that assumption and I wondered how they reconciled it to a disaster such as that in the Phillipines. They claim their god exists and is all powerful and all good, yet such disasters show a serious contradiction in their claims.  I felt I was asking a rational question given their beliefs. Sometimes you have to ask a question with the assumption that their beliefs are correct to get an answer to a logical quesion. If they can’t answer logically their beliefs are suspect.

Lois

That’s actually kind of an easy one though Lois. I believe they’d respond with their usual catchall, endall “we cannot know gods reasons, but he has one”.  And that was the point of my question to LilySmith. When you have that catchall/endall then there really are no consequences to believing something.

Posted: 15 November 2013 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
CuthbertJ - 15 November 2013 11:20 AM
Lois - 14 November 2013 05:54 PM
deros - 13 November 2013 05:50 AM
Lois - 11 November 2013 02:33 PM

What is god’s role in the Philippine disaster? What is god’s role in helping the victims

First, to ask if god had a role you have to assume an all knowing and loving god exists.  Since nothing was done, I think that puts an end to any such assumption.

But believers do make that assumption and I wondered how they reconciled it to a disaster such as that in the Phillipines. They claim their god exists and is all powerful and all good, yet such disasters show a serious contradiction in their claims.  I felt I was asking a rational question given their beliefs. Sometimes you have to ask a question with the assumption that their beliefs are correct to get an answer to a logical quesion. If they can’t answer logically their beliefs are suspect.

Lois

That’s actually kind of an easy one though Lois. I believe they’d respond with their usual catchall, endall “we cannot know gods reasons, but he has one”.  And that was the point of my question to LilySmith. When you have that catchall/endall then there really are no consequences to believing something.

You’re right. In my opinion anyone who takes Lilysmith’s position that a god is destroying lives to bring people to him is taking a disgusting. immoral, by any standard, and sadistic position. It’s as ugly an explanation as anyone could devise and it explains the Christian religion for what it is: rotten to the core.

LL

Posted: 15 November 2013 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  4836
Joined  2007-10-05

Even worse is Lily’s opinion about those of us who care about ethics. Emphasis added.

LilySmith - 12 November 2013 08:35 AM

In my view of God, He is the creator of all life and has determined when, where and how long each life exists on this earth.  Everyone dies.  That’s not slaughter nor is it evil, it is by design.  What is evil is a created man who thinks he knows better than God and can judge his Creator.  I believe that’s called arrogance—an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.

Sigh. Once again, evidence that you cannot have a rational discussion with an ideologue.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 15 November 2013 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  1389
Joined  2009-10-21
DarronS - 15 November 2013 05:54 PM

Even worse is Lily’s opinion about those of us who care about ethics. Emphasis added.

LilySmith - 12 November 2013 08:35 AM

In my view of God, He is the creator of all life and has determined when, where and how long each life exists on this earth.  Everyone dies.  That’s not slaughter nor is it evil, it is by design.  What is evil is a created man who thinks he knows better than God and can judge his Creator.  I believe that’s called arrogance—an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.

Sigh. Once again, evidence that you cannot have a rational discussion with an ideologue.

Yes, amazingly circular. The most atrocious being, one who has created millions of gruesome deaths, can’t be questioned, because any such questioning is arrogance, simply because that being created those atrocious acts. Because he created everything, no one thing he does can be questioned or judged. Everything must have a reason, therefore, everything does have a reason, and asking what the reason is or saying it is unreasonable, is arrogance. We can’t know all of God (until later sometime), so who are we to judge?

I don’t see how this leads to anything but paralysis when it comes to figuring out what you do with yourself on a daily basis. Besides read the Bible and pray.

Posted: 27 November 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

No one with an ounce of humanity and the power to make life eternal would make death inevitable for every living being. Imagining such a state of affairs is inanity, or maybe insanity but not humanity. I haven’t been here for awhile but now see that Lily is still here. It’s quite amazing, she can’t imagine she is persuading anyone. Then again, someone who can wrap herself so tightly in a fantasy cocoon probably can imagine anything to be true. It’s not bad enough that she constructs a fantasy and insists on calling it truth; the content of the fantasy is horrid.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 29 November 2013 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
LilySmith - 12 November 2013 08:37 AM
Write4U - 12 November 2013 12:29 AM

Every time I hear a justification of God reminding us of something good by destroying something I cannot help drawing the comparison of a husband who beats his wife to death to remind other wives how lucky they are to be alive?

Really?  That comparison makes absolutely no sense.

Then you haven’t read your bible.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 November 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

OK people , let’s quit the silliness.  The only Gods that exist are the ones we ourselves create.  They don’t cause storms etc.  natural causes do.  As always when these natural disasters affect humans and other species it is up to us to repair the damages or not.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

3 of 3