1 of 2
For older guys
Posted: 19 November 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-04-25

I thought twice about posting this, since some might find it unsavory I guess, but then I said heck, we’re adults here, might as well if it’ll help others.  This is for older guys like me who are at that age where their, um, “flow” isn’t what it used to be.  I live up north where it’s getting really cold. I noticed every time I had to take the garbage out or whatever, into the frigid cold, I’d have to take a leak afterwards.  So I got a bright idea. When the river isn’t flowing and I don’t want to go outside, hold an ice cube on your skin right down there above but not on ..., to simulate the cold. Works like a champ and you don’t have to pay for those questionable meds that supposedly target this!

Posted: 19 November 2013 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2160
Joined  2007-04-26

Thats an interesting observation Cuthbert. Obviously yours is a single anecdotal report but If I could make a few comments.

1) Try pressing some room temperature object to the same area. I’d be curious to see if you get the same result. Obviously there is no way to blind this experiment but the affect you are getting may be a mechanical one rather than one caused by temperature as you are theorizing. Pressing on the perineum can change the geometry of the urogenital tract in such a way as to decrease the obstruction caused by an enlarged prostate. It may be similar to the effect many men notice when they are able to void more easily after they have a bowel movement and the stool is no longer pushing the prostate anteriorly. Alternatively you could place the ice on some other part of your body and see if you get the same result since exposure to cold seems to be the initial stimulus that got you thinking about this and unless you are in the habit of taking out the garbage in the buff, your nether regions would not generally be the areas getting exposed to cold air when you go out.

2) Most drugs which are given for BPH ( the problem we are discussing here is benign prostatic enlargement) are generally given with the primary goal of reducing the need to get up from sleep to urinate ( nocturia). Most of these meds unfortunately do not work all that well but it would be interesting to know if by applying your method in the evening and not altering anything else, if you could reduce the requirement for night time bathroom visits. Again it would be hard to blind this experiment and you are a study subject of one but maybe it will work for you. Just remember there are always possible unintended consequences.. like a frost bit scrotum.. a wife who wonders why she married a guy who is putting ice in his shorts all the time…possible loss of blood flow to areas you might like it to go ( although it your wife sees you putting ice in your shorts it may not matter). Just a few things to consider tongue laugh

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 19 November 2013 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

My prostate is a thing of the past, but there’s still the problem of frequent nightime calls every two hours and twenty minutes.  My doctor prescribed the drug Macgyver mentioned, and it certainly did help. Now I have to get up only every two hours and thirty minutes.  Guess why I didn’t get it refilled.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 November 2013 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3104
Joined  2011-08-15

My prostate is a thing of the past, but there’s still the problem of frequent nightime calls every two hours and twenty minutes.  My doctor prescribed the drug Macgyver mentioned, and it certainly did help. Now I have to get up only every two hours and thirty minutes.  Guess why I didn’t get it refilled. 

Damn, if that’s what I have to look forward to I’ll be a bleary eyed zombie before I reach seventy! Seriously though I find that if I don’t drink anything after 7:00 PM I’m ok to sleep through the night. But if I have anything after that time it’s up at three, every damn time. Sometimes getting old really sucks, but it does beat the alternative.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 November 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4754
Joined  2007-10-05

Yet another reason us old farts sleep in travel trailers and not tents when we go on vacation. I’ll pass on the self-frozen testicles. Got enough of that camping in Yosemite in the winter.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 21 November 2013 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 19 November 2013 07:07 PM

Yet another reason us old farts sleep in travel trailers and not tents when we go on vacation. I’ll pass on the self-frozen testicles. Got enough of that camping in Yosemite in the winter.

I love Yosemite in the winter. It is my favorite time of year in the most beautiful place on earth.  cool smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 November 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
CuthbertJ - 19 November 2013 11:23 AM

I thought twice about posting this, since some might find it unsavory I guess, but then I said heck, we’re adults here, might as well if it’ll help others.  This is for older guys like me who are at that age where their, um, “flow” isn’t what it used to be.  I live up north where it’s getting really cold. I noticed every time I had to take the garbage out or whatever, into the frigid cold, I’d have to take a leak afterwards.  So I got a bright idea. When the river isn’t flowing and I don’t want to go outside, hold an ice cube on your skin right down there above but not on ..., to simulate the cold. Works like a champ and you don’t have to pay for those questionable meds that supposedly target this!

You could also try laughing. I hear it works.

There’s nothing worse than a Doctor’s Receptionist who insists you tell her what is wrong with you, in a room full of other patients. I know most of us have experienced this, and I love the way this old guy handled it.

A 75-year-old man walked into a crowded waiting room and approached the desk. The Receptionist said, ‘Yes sir, what are you seeing the Doctor for today?’ 

‘There’s something wrong with my dick’, he replied. 

The receptionist became irritated and said, ‘You shouldn’t come into a crowded waiting room and say things like that.’ 
 ‘Why not, you asked me what was wrong and I told you,’ he said. 

The Receptionist replied; ‘Now you’ve caused some embarrassment in this room full of people.
You should have said there is something wrong with your ear or something, and discussed the problem further with the Doctor in private.’ 

The man replied, ‘You shouldn’t ask people questions in a roomful of strangers if the answer could embarrass anyone.
 The man then decided to walk out, waited several minutes, and then re-entered. 

The Receptionist smiled smugly and asked, ‘Yes??’ 

‘There’s something wrong with my ear,’ he stated. 

The Receptionist nodded approvingly and smiled, knowing he had taken her advice.  
‘And what is wrong with your ear, Sir?’ 

‘I can’t piss out of it,’ he replied. 

The waiting room erupted in laughter. 

Mess with seniors and you’re going to lose!

Posted: 21 November 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4754
Joined  2007-10-05
asanta - 21 November 2013 01:10 AM

I love Yosemite in the winter. It is my favorite time of year in the most beautiful place on earth.  cool smile

I agree 100 percent. I spent many a fine frozen day taking photos of freshly fallen snow.

And Lois, great joke. I’ll have to remember that one.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 21 November 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-04-25

Oh that’s a good one!

Posted: 21 November 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2160
Joined  2007-04-26

Very funny Lois. My older patients always seem to have the best sense of humor.

I usually ask patients which is their dominant arm before I give them a vaccine This way if they get any soreness its not in the arm they use most often. One day an elderly husband and wife came in for their flu shots. The wife’s vaccine was uneventful but when I asked the husband which arm he used most I got a list of things he used his right arm for and then a similar list for his left arm. This went back and forth with no sign of ending anytime soon when his wife who had clearly had enough of her husbands non-sense finally interrupted him and said with a completely straight face “For god’s sake, just give it to him in his head. He doesn’t use that for anything”.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 02 December 2013 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-04-25

MacGyver - Took your advice in #1 above and it does work. Just need something cold on pretty much anywhere, like for me it’s the ice cold tiles in my bathroom.

Posted: 02 December 2013 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
asanta - 21 November 2013 01:10 AM

Fortunately you don’t have testicles to consider.  wink

Lois

Posted: 02 December 2013 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
macgyver - 21 November 2013 03:19 PM

Very funny Lois. My older patients always seem to have the best sense of humor.

I usually ask patients which is their dominant arm before I give them a vaccine This way if they get any soreness its not in the arm they use most often. One day an elderly husband and wife came in for their flu shots. The wife’s vaccine was uneventful but when I asked the husband which arm he used most I got a list of things he used his right arm for and then a similar list for his left arm. This went back and forth with no sign of ending anytime soon when his wife who had clearly had enough of her husbands non-sense finally interrupted him and said with a completely straight face “For god’s sake, just give it to him in his head. He doesn’t use that for anything”.

That’s funny!

Posted: 02 April 2014 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2011-11-06

I think the cold therapy method sounds very plausible as a home remedy because the cold probably induces a vasoconstriction along the urinary path/tract, thus allowing flow to occur more unimpeded by pressure.

Posted: 02 April 2014 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4066
Joined  2010-08-15

LOL  LOL  LOL

this thread turned out to be great early morning wake up reading, thanks…
...do it to his head, he don’t use that for nothing. ROFLAO

And how can I not toss in my hear hear on Yosemite with a bit of totally off topic spamming

… Today I smile thinking back on that young buck looking down his nose at the jumbled mess of rocks that was the Rocky Mountains. Layers going this way and that way, hard layers on top of soft layers, cliff faces that seemed trustworthy, then crumbled and killed. I was unimpressed.

Back then, the Rocky’s seemed
no comparison to “my” Sierra Nevada Mountains, were I had lived in Yosemite National Park for nearly three years. How I’d rhapsodize about Yosemite Valley, the most magnificent granite cathedral in the world, nestled within California’s incomparable “Range of Light.” ...

http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2013/12/ancient-landscapes-in-motion.html  smile

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 02 April 2014 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  4066
Joined  2010-08-15

Back on topic here,

But, what if you’re needing to hold it in grrr

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

1 of 2