2 of 3
Sylvia Browne died today
Posted: 21 March 2014 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting M.A.

Creative thinking and Critical thinking are very different. It would be counterproductive to be “creative” while engaged in critical thinking.

Sorry, M.A., but that is dead wrong.  Creative thinking is going beyond the boundaries of present awareness, not engaging in fantasy.  Critical thinking helps one guide one’s thinking along new, unexplored paths while preventing one from falling into the swamp of fairytales. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 March 2014 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 21 March 2014 11:14 AM

Quoting M.A.

Creative thinking and Critical thinking are very different. It would be counterproductive to be “creative” while engaged in critical thinking.

Sorry, M.A., but that is dead wrong.  Creative thinking is going beyond the boundaries of present awareness, not engaging in fantasy.  Critical thinking helps one guide one’s thinking along new, unexplored paths while preventing one from falling into the swamp of fairytales. 

Occam

I disagree. Creative thinking means being heavily influenced by imagination, while creative thinking means analyzing information.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 22 March 2014 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5251
Joined  2007-08-31
mid atlantic - 22 March 2014 01:37 AM

Creative thinking means being heavily influenced by imagination, while creative thinking means analyzing information.

Theory building in science starts with being creative, and therefore it is heavily influenced by imagination. Afterwards comes the hard work.

And creative thinking is synthesizing information.

Signature 

GdB

The light is on, but there is nobody at home.

Posted: 22 March 2014 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

If two of us come up with a completely new approach to solving an intractable mathematical problem and present our papers, each will initially be judged as creative.  However, when the methods are tested and the first works, but the second doesn’t, the first is still considered creative while the second is seen as a fairytale generated by imagination. 

Creative thinking is putting together the real world in new and unexpected ways.  Imagination has nothing to do with the reality base required. 

BTW, I think M.A. meant “critical”, not “creative” in the last part of his last sentence of post #17.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 24 March 2014 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4210
Joined  2009-10-21

Occam said it best so far, but I’m not sure about how he’s using “imagination”. I would include that skill in creative thinking. Imagining something that has not yet been demonstrated as true is needed in creative thinking. Believing in something that has been investigated and determined to be imaginary requires no thought at all. I’d even call it uncreative.

The problem is, there is no difference between the two as far as human perception is concerned. There are a lot of things we don’t know and according to philosophers, we can’t really know anything. Unfortunately this gets abused by people like RubyWoo who think that esoteric truism means everything is open to discussion and if you aren’t open to everything then you are closed minded. As Spinoza was fond of saying, “that’s absurd.”

Posted: 24 March 2014 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Lausten defined my view of imagination correctly.  My problem with the use of the word is that it doesn’t differentiate between “Imagining something that has not yet been demonstrated as true” and imagining fire breathing dragons or Peter Pan flying fairies.  Tthe latter in should not be included in creative thinking so I think we should avoid the use of the word because, again to quote Lausten, “there is no difference between the two as far as [common] human perception is concerned”.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2014 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  7716
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 22 March 2014 01:37 AM

Creative thinking means being heavily influenced by imagination, while creative thinking means analyzing information.

Nope, you can solve a lot of problems with thinking outside of the box, and analyzing the solution. I’m siding with Occam on this one.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 July 2014 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-07-25
RubyWoo - 20 March 2014 12:41 AM

Hello DarronS and Lois,

Ms. Browne certainly did no favors for those of us who have experienced the paranormal.  I also think most people who have experienced paranormal events are not inclined to discuss with many people, as the norm is for people not to believe.  As far as I know, none of my experiences could be controlled and that makes it very difficult to replicate and ‘prove’ that they were not just coincidence. 

If you ever find that you can be tested for and prove any paranormal experience there is a million dollars to be had at the James Randi Education Foundation.

From Sean Carrol’s presentation on YouTube - “Higgs Boson and the Fundamental Nature of Reality”  34:17 ish
“The standard model of particle physics underlying everyday life is completely understood. Quantum field theory implies that any new kinds of matter (fermions) or forces (bosons) that would interact in noticeable ways with ordinary matter would already have been discovered. There are no new particles or forces that could be relative to your daily life that are not understood.”

This rules out the idea that there can be external forces or energies interacting with you.

If you ever find that you can have a more testable paranormal experience then you will make history. Unfortunately, the easiest mind to fool is your own.

Posted: 27 July 2014 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  4332
Joined  2014-06-20
RubyWoo - 21 March 2014 01:09 AM

I shall be generous in giving you the benefit of doubt that you are speaking for yourself and not each living person.  That is of course, unless you expect everyone thinks the same.

Lois - 20 March 2014 10:05 AM

I’m not sure that anyone could lessen the credibility of psychic phenomena. It already has none.

Lois

There is no benefit in doubting scientific research and analysis.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 27 July 2014 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Occam. - 21 March 2014 11:14 AM

Quoting M.A.

Occam

Rational creative thinking includes understanding and accepting the parameters of known science. It’s possible to think so far outside the box that you wind up in fantasyland.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2014 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
DarronS - 21 November 2013 11:05 AM
Lois - 21 November 2013 09:50 AM
DarronS - 20 November 2013 08:24 PM

CNN is reporting that self-styled psychic Sylvia Brown died earlier today at the age of 77. Hemant Mehta has a good essay about her on his blog.

The world is better off without her, but someone else will probably take her place soon.

Nobody is 100% bad. She did provide a lot of laughs to many people.

Lois

Yeah, but apparently she swindled so many people that at one point she was raking in $3 million per year. I don’t think she provided enough laughs to balance the damage she did.

I’ve often thought that if I only lacked ethics I could be rich too.

So could we all, but there’s that little matter of diminishing returns.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2015 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-06-11

People who have unexplained experiences and believe that those experiences are paranormal are self deluded. That is only sad. Cold calculating people like Miss Brown make me ashamed to be a human being.

Posted: 17 June 2015 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24
JoyO - 16 June 2015 10:44 PM

People who have unexplained experiences and believe that those experiences are paranormal are self deluded. That is only sad. Cold calculating people like Miss Brown make me ashamed to be a human being.

Its not that sad, and there is no need to be ashamed.

Unless, you’re a psychic as well.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 30 August 2015 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2015-03-08
RubyWoo - 20 March 2014 12:41 AM

Hello DarronS and Lois,

Ms. Browne certainly did no favors for those of us who have experienced the paranormal.  I also think most people who have experienced paranormal events are not inclined to discuss with many people, as the norm is for people not to believe.  As far as I know, none of my experiences could be controlled and that makes it very difficult to replicate and ‘prove’ that they were not just coincidence. 

Anyway, it’s my opinion that people like Ms. Browne and those who run psychic hotlines are the least likely to have any psychic ‘abilities’ and serve to bring confusion and lessen the credibility of psychic phenomena.

I know this is an old thread and RubyWoo is long gone from these forums (Last Visit: March 21, 2014), but I’m amazed no one took him/her to task for the most obvious hole in his/her original comment: 

As far as I know, none of my experiences could be controlled and that makes it very difficult to replicate and ‘prove’ that they were not just coincidence.

If I’d been a member of these forums back then (and seen that comment), I would have asked: 

RubyWoo:  If you can’t prove to others that what you experienced “were not just coincidence”, how did you ‘prove’ it to yourself?  Or did you just believe it without proof, (without any effort to find an explanation not involving the supernatural)?”

And yes, I know, the answer I would have probably received would have been without merit (and likely, just nonsense). But it still would be interesting (to me anyway) to see how he/she would try to address that one.

Posted: 30 August 2015 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
plvt - 30 August 2015 10:39 AM

If I’d been a member of these forums back then (and seen that comment), I would have asked: 

RubyWoo:  If you can’t prove to others that what you experienced “were not just coincidence”, how did you ‘prove’ it to yourself?  Or did you just believe it without proof, (without any effort to find an explanation not involving the supernatural)?”

And yes, I know, the answer I would have probably received would have been without merit (and likely, just nonsense). But it still would be interesting (to me anyway) to see how he/she would try to address that one.

Those are good questions. I thought of that when RubyWoo posted, but frankly I’ve seen this kind of behavior so often I’ve quit trying. I had a similar discussion on FB recently when one of my cousins posted about buying tickets to see a psychic in an auditorium. When I linked an article discussing how many people have been tested for psychic abilities she replied that she did not read the article and she wanted me to stop trying to change her mind. She has had alleged psychic experiences and does not want to consider anything that might contradict her beliefs. I’ll post my current sig line here just in case I change it in the future.

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

[ Edited: 30 August 2015 01:06 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

2 of 3