6 of 6
Theoretical question for those debating vitamins, supplements, etc
Posted: 07 December 2013 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

Vyazma, they are saying if you eat enough fruits, vegetables, and grains, you will have enough fiber in your diet to not need Metamucil, which is odd, because when my mother got irritable bowel syndrome, she had to use Metamucil and it is part of her diet to this day.  The problem with “getting enough from food” is that few humans eat a balance diet and in the case of fiber, all too many people eat way too much meat and potatoes, neglecting fruits, vegetables, and grains.  Given how many people in this world seem to love their dead cooked animals on their plates and not into “rabbit food”, it would seem they are lacking more than just fiber in their diets, so such an assumption that people get enough of everything in their diets seems a bit off given that there are so many people in this world who insist on a “meat and potatoes” diet to this day.  Whereas, vegetarians and vegans get a lot of fiber in their diets because much of their diet consists of grains, beans/nuts, fruits, and vegetables, yet they are the ones recommended to take vitamins and some vegetarians also use dairy products.  Seems to me that vegetarians have the best diets of all, covering all the food groups without eating dead animals, esp when you compare them to the carnivores and total vegans, who should be the ones lacking in vitamins and minerals, due to their extreme diets.  Thus, if their theory held true, why recommend vitamins and minerals to vegetarians.  By their theory, it’s the carnivores and vegans, due to their extreme diets, who need the vitamins and minerals more.  The message they are giving is that carnivorous diets are better than vegetarian/vegan diets because carnivores eat “high on the hog”.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 07 December 2013 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  4447
Joined  2008-08-14
Mriana - 07 December 2013 02:09 PM

Vyazma, they are saying if you eat enough fruits, vegetables, and grains, you will have enough fiber in your diet to not need Metamucil, which is odd, because when my mother got irritable bowel syndrome, she had to use Metamucil and it is part of her diet to this day.  The problem with “getting enough from food” is that few humans eat a balance diet and in the case of fiber, all too many people eat way too much meat and potatoes, neglecting fruits, vegetables, and grains.  Given how many people in this world seem to love their dead cooked animals on their plates and not into “rabbit food”, it would seem they are lacking more than just fiber in their diets, so such an assumption that people get enough of everything in their diets seems a bit off given that there are so many people in this world who insist on a “meat and potatoes” diet to this day.  Whereas, vegetarians and vegans get a lot of fiber in their diets because much of their diet consists of grains, beans/nuts, fruits, and vegetables, yet they are the ones recommended to take vitamins and some vegetarians also use dairy products.  Seems to me that vegetarians have the best diets of all, covering all the food groups without eating dead animals, esp when you compare them to the carnivores and total vegans, who should be the ones lacking in vitamins and minerals, due to their extreme diets.  Thus, if their theory held true, why recommend vitamins and minerals to vegetarians.  By their theory, it’s the carnivores and vegans, due to their extreme diets, who need the vitamins and minerals more.  The message they are giving is that carnivorous diets are better than vegetarian/vegan diets because carnivores eat “high on the hog”.  LOL

I agree Mriana. Everybody has a different diet. I would say a large part of the population does not eat a balanced diet.
Whatever a balanced diet even means. I guess the general guideline would be the ever changing Food Pyramid and the continuing
Saga of what pundits recommend.
The FDA with it’s Special Interest Lobbyists telling them to “push more meat”, “push more fruits”.
There is no average diet.  There is no metric to determine what the average person eats.
And usually, a serious disorder notwithstanding, there is no way to determine whether someone is getting enough or too much of a
certain nutrient.
Now, serious disorders aside, vitamin deficiencies regularly manifest themselves in noticeable effects.
Lessened night vision is one example. Mild lethargy is another.
There are many disorders that arise from vitamin deficiencies which have a graduated onset.
So one could have bad skin or decreased immunity or less developed bones from not enough nutrients.
Yet these physiological disorders may never go diagnosed…ever! There not considered significant by the person or any medical
personnel.  And that’s ok. In the scheme of things.
But millions of people want to make sure they are getting the proper levels of nutrition and vitamins. The Food Pyramid is a readily available
guide to do so with.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 07 December 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Not only my late grandmother, but my mother and older son, believe that if you are craving a particular food or foods, that means you are missing that particular nutrient in your body that that food has.  In other words, I craved mushrooms like crazy all summer long and the store advertised on them that mushrooms have 100% of the RDA of vitamin D, which means, according to their theory, I was low on vitamin D, even after taking a vitamin D pill daily all winter long, but not during the summer because I generally get more sunlight during the summer months.  Large portabella mushroom sandwiches, with tomatoes.  The large shroom heated in a skillet, with a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil to keep it from sticking, and a few sprinkles of salt and pepper, but not rolled in flour or anything else, just plain shroom.  Then I’d slap it on a couple slices of bread, put a tomato on it and I was ready to chow down!  However, I could not get enough of them, eating them once a day almost every day, and my massage therapy son was so certain that I was low on something, even if it wasn’t vitamin D.  Now that winter is here and I’m taking vitamin D again, I’m not craving them as much, if at all.  The same with the tomatoes.  Not sure if it’s because I’ve tired of them, they are sort of out of season, or my family is right.  My current craving is pomegranate juice and here in the States, pomegranates are in season.  Other times it’s orange juice.  I’m not sure that if one craves something they are missing the nutrients found in that food or not, but I do know that if one eats protein (either in nuts, tofu, beans, or meat, if so inclined) along with a variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as grains, they will do OK, but I don’t think one can eat enough of every food group, as recommended, because for some people that’s just too much food to eat in a course of a day.  If I, a 4’ 11” ate the suggested amount of food on the food pyramid daily, I’d be overweight, if not obese, because not every woman is a 5’ 4” 120-130 lb person for starters and secondly, everyone’s body handles calories differently depending on their metabolism and the amount of exercise they get in a day.  Not everyone’s body can handle 1200-1500 calories a day- for some it’s too much and others not enough.  Of course, this also would mean that the RDA 100% could be more for some and less for others.  A 100 lb 4’ 11” woman cannot eat as much as a 5’ 9” 180 lb man nor should she, unless she wants to be overweight.  So even the pyramid has some problems, because it does not take in the individual’s size and metabolism, some people need more food and other need less, in order to maintain a healthy body weight.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 07 December 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I recall that during the Second World War the USDA came up with a minimum balanced diet using just three foods.  They were, as I recall, cabbage, white beans and hog liver.  Thank goodness my mother had a Victory garden and a small chicken area so I could eat tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, radishes, eggs and occasional chicken instead of chowing down on hog liver. LOL

I wonder if the USDA has an updated version of a “balanced diet” maybe a little better than that one.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 December 2013 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Occam. - 07 December 2013 07:45 PM

I recall that during the Second World War the USDA came up with a minimum balanced diet using just three foods.  They were, as I recall, cabbage, white beans and hog liver.  Thank goodness my mother had a Victory garden and a small chicken area so I could eat tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, radishes, eggs and occasional chicken instead of chowing down on hog liver. LOL

I wonder if the USDA has an updated version of a “balanced diet” maybe a little better than that one.

Occam

UGH!  I agree!  Thank goodness you’re mother had chickens, because hog liver seems worse and I’m a vegetarian.  Hog liver?  Sounds far worse than chicken liver, given what pigs eat, which, if one lets them could include a dead cat. I’ve seen that and those guys can go to town on a dead cat. My mother didn’t know what else to do with the dead cat, so she threw into the pig pen.  Put new meaning into “going hog wild”.  So repulsive.

Signature 

Mriana

6 of 6