2 of 3
When did you realize you were old?
Posted: 03 December 2013 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3057
Joined  2011-08-15

I am in my early forties and I think I feel exactly my age, both mentally and physically. I certainly don’t feel the same way I used to when I was twenty or thirty. People who get old and say they haven’t changed either forget the way they used to feel when they were younger or are simply lying to themselves. We may not understand everything about middle age, say, the cause of menopause in women, but we know the brain does start to deteriorate during the fifth and sixth decade along with the rest of our body. A bit of stoicism would suit you all. : )

But George, I am a stoic. It’s at this time of life when you realize that you’re on the downhill slide so filling the bucket list becomes critical. I’ve got a lot to accomplish before the inevitable happens; I’m not looking forward to it mind you but am much more accepting of my fate than when I was in my 20’s. And as to brain deterioration, so far my memory is still sharp and stimulated daily, both long term and short term. Both of my parents, 86 and 87 are still lucid and active so maybe it’s genetic. Whatever, I plan to learn and teach until the grim reaper comes calling ( ref. Blue Oyster Cult!). 

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 December 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Happy birthday. After a year wou will begin wishing you were a young 65 again.

Thanks Lois, despite what George said except for stamina,which I’ll never get back anyway, I feel pretty good fer an olde feller!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 December 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2007-10-22

I knew I was old when I met a new Priestess of Sudari (bartender) down to the Church of the Corner Bar and realized that the woman at the end of the bar, who I dated in High School was her grandmother!  grrr

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 03 December 2013 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

I turned 83 two months ago, and I don’t feel old.  I do recall getting P.O.ed quite a few years ago when a clerk referred to me as “sir”.  I work out at the Y three days a week and walk fast, but I take stairs one at a time instead of the two or three at a time of the earlier days.  I sleep well, but have to get up two or three times during the night.  My eyesight is still good but my near point is now about twelve inches. 

Sure, my body has some problems but that’s not what I think determines oldness.  Rather, it’s mental acuity and attitude that does so.  My long term memory is still excellent, and I’m not sure that I ever had a good short term memory.  I like mature people of both sexes who have enough experience that they can carry on an intelligent conversation.  While I don’t even try to do anything about it, I still enjoy young women who dress attractively (I don’t see it as “dressing like prostitutes”).  Hell, I still even like watching Victoria’s Secret commercials.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 December 2013 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4721
Joined  2007-10-05

I’m with Occam. One of the nice things about being a 58-year-old college student is admiring all the young girls on campus when the weather is warm. One of the problems is they all call me “sir.” Yeah, that makes me feel old.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 03 December 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4416
Joined  2008-08-14
DarronS - 03 December 2013 08:20 AM

One of my friends first felt old when got a haircut and the barber trimmed the hair on his ears.

I realized I was old when my friends started talking about their grandchildren.

That is so funny.  My barber did that to me the last time. Real quick like.
Just one hair I guess. But I caught it and said, “Did you just get an ear hair?”
The barber said, “Yeah, just one.”

I had that “getting older feeling” then.  Not for the first time. Won’t be the last I’m sure.

We all know we were getting older the minute we jumped out of the womb. LOL

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 03 December 2013 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4416
Joined  2008-08-14

On a similarly related topic…Who here has given thought to the perception of scale in time. As it relates to your memory, perception of lifespan,
general concept of how fast time “seems’ to move(!) etc…

For example how fast one thinks time travels in their 20s as opposed to their 40s.
The relevancy of interaction and memories as time goes on.
Or, one thinks they are old at 30, until they look back at 30 from 40 or 50 or 80.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 04 December 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 03 December 2013 09:00 AM
Lois - 03 December 2013 08:19 AM
George - 03 December 2013 05:49 AM

I am in my early forties and I think I feel exactly my age, both mentally and physically. I certainly don’t feel the same way I used to when I was twenty or thirty. People who get old and say they haven’t changed either forget the way they used to feel when they were younger or are simply lying to themselves. We may not understand everything about middle age, say, the cause of menopause in women, but we know the brain does start to deteriorate during the fifth and sixth decade along with the rest of our body. A bit of stoicism would suit you all. : )

But you don’t think you are lying to yourself when you say you feel the same way in your early forties as you did when you were twenty or thirty? Funny how that works. wink

Lois

Huh? I said I DON’T feel the same way I used to.

Sorry,  I misread it.

Lois

[ Edited: 04 December 2013 08:43 PM by Lois ]

Posted: 04 December 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2012-10-27

I forgot one of the first times I did feel old. I was in an antiques store and saw items I remembered from my childhood.  That was a shock. My first reaction: “Those aren’t antiques!”

Posted: 04 December 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2013-09-18
Lois - 04 December 2013 12:53 PM

I forgot one of the first times I did feel old. I was in an antiques store and saw items I remembered from my childhood.  That was a shock. My first reaction: “Those aren’t antiques!”

Try hearing music that would send you to hell when it was made being played inside an elevator. Happened to me once and I remember when the music was new.

[ Edited: 04 December 2013 01:21 PM by WuCares ]

Posted: 04 December 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2009-07-17
WuCares - 04 December 2013 01:19 PM

Try hearing music that would send you to hell when it was made being played inside an elevator. Happened to me once and I remember when the music was new.

I get that at the grocery store and other retail locations. Just moseying along, enjoying the song playing over the PA… Then it hits me. When the hell did they start playing Van Halen at retail stores? grin

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 04 December 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02
harry canyon - 04 December 2013 03:30 PM
WuCares - 04 December 2013 01:19 PM

I get that at the grocery store and other retail locations. Just moseying along, enjoying the song playing over the PA… Then it hits me. When the hell did they start playing Van Halen at retail stores? grin

Take care,

Derek

I actually felt young again when one of my son’s friends was listening and singing to 70s music.  We jammed together, even though I can’t actually sing and had a very good time.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 04 December 2013 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

Referring to nose and ear hairs:  Don’t worry about them.  I’ve found that when they turn white they’re much harder to see.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 December 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I actually felt young again when one of my son’s friends was listening and singing to 70s music.  We jammed together, even though I can’t actually sing and had a very good time. 

Speaking of which, my wife treated me to a Blood, Sweat and Tears concert last night and it immediately brought back memories. I was 23 again; then I looked around at all the old farts sharing the same memories. Screw it, We had a good time rockin’ out to some old tunes and some new arrangements. It was a blast… From the past… , but it was a gas. They even had a wine bar right there in the theater for the yuppies.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 04 December 2013 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
VYAZMA - 03 December 2013 06:54 PM
DarronS - 03 December 2013 08:20 AM

One of my friends first felt old when got a haircut and the barber trimmed the hair on his ears.

I realized I was old when my friends started talking about their grandchildren.

That is so funny.  My barber did that to me the last time. Real quick like.
Just one hair I guess. But I caught it and said, “Did you just get an ear hair?”
The barber said, “Yeah, just one.”

I had that “getting older feeling” then.  Not for the first time. Won’t be the last I’m sure.

We all know we were getting older the minute we jumped out of the womb. LOL

You must have been a baby genius.  I don’t think I thought of it until I was maybe 8 or so.  It’s amazing what some newborns can think of though. wink

Lois

2 of 3