Why do people fear the end of the path that leads to knowledge?
Posted: 04 December 2013 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2013-09-18

Why do people fear the end of the path that leads to knowledge? Why do they deny the very natural trait of inquisitiveness in humans as if it were somehow evil?

Are these people so invested in a certain idea or belief system that their whole world will fall down around them if these beliefs are proven wrong. It seems to me that if someone was so sure of something they would be anxious to prove it.

Is this actually about a belief system or the protection of the agency that promotes this faith? If this agency is so afraid of knowledge, that they would turn it’s adherents against those who seek knowledge, wouldn’t that be proof that the agency is more afraid that the truth found wouldn’t be theirs?

Posted: 04 December 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6042
Joined  2009-02-26
WuCares - 04 December 2013 03:05 PM

Why do people fear the end of the path that leads to knowledge? Why do they deny the very natural trait of inquisitiveness in humans as if it were somehow evil?

Are these people so invested in a certain idea or belief system that their whole world will fall down around them if these beliefs are proven wrong. It seems to me that if someone was so sure of something they would be anxious to prove it.

Is this actually about a belief system or the protection of the agency that promotes this faith? If this agency is so afraid of knowledge, that they would turn it’s adherents against those who seek knowledge, wouldn’t that be proof that the agency is more afraid that the truth found wouldn’t be theirs?

Because new knowledge often proves old “knowledge” wrong and requires acceptance of facts which are contrary to myth.

Little example:

400,000-year-old human DNA adds new tangle to our origin story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbB3XaR-SYI

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 December 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14
Write4U - 04 December 2013 03:19 PM

Because new knowledge often proves old “knowledge” wrong and requires acceptance of facts which are contrary to myth.

Couldn’t agree more.
BUT I would also add that many people are largely lazy/arrogant and elevate themselves to thinking their opinions are worth the world over even
if they have never studied the subject in their life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

Posted: 11 December 2013 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22

It challenges their stake and place in society.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 11 December 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

I’m confused I.J., are you conflating as I assume that you are, the U.S. Government with the predominant religion xtianity? And further that this union is actively preventing it’s citizens from learning and researching the facts concerning World affairs a la’ your YouTube video ( Jay Leno’s street walking bit)? Why not just shut down all access to education, except for a chosen few, or only allow males to receive a nominal education before shipping them off to join the military. I believe your post speaks to political and religious indoctrination not to a nation that allows for Any religious belief, or the right to remain completely ignorant of World affairs. is this display disgraceful and embarrassing? Absolutely. Was it cherry picking, we may never know. There could have been hundreds of interviews where the responses to the pointed questions were spot on and those were conviently left out. What the video does prove is that the interviewees we’re ignorant of World Geography and politics. I believe that every American should read, research and be fully aware of World events, economics and local, state and national politics, but many couldn’t care less. This is unfortunately one of the downsides to a democratic state that allows it’s citizens to discard anything that doesn’t directly affect their lives, or so they think. You can’t make people learn, at least not here.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 December 2013 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-09-18

Why are you concentrating on politics when there are so many more people who would call themselves Catholic, Protestant, Christian and Muslim before they would call themselves Americans, French, Iranian?

These political and geographical concepts are fairly new to a world that has known the various religious institutions, some into antiquity.

Posted: 11 December 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
WuCares - 11 December 2013 02:23 PM

Why are you concentrating on politics when there are so many more people who would call themselves Catholic, Protestant, Christian and Muslim before they would call themselves Americans, French, Iranian?

These political and geographical concepts are fairly new to a world that has known the various religious institutions, some into antiquity.

Who are you asking?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 11 December 2013 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-09-18
garythehuman - 11 December 2013 03:00 PM
WuCares - 11 December 2013 02:23 PM

Who are you asking?

The person whose post precedes mine. Sorry I thought I quoted him. I hope I read that properly. That was my take on his meaning, anyway.

Posted: 16 December 2013 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14
Thevillageatheist - 11 December 2013 12:20 PM

Firstly that is not my quote.

I’m confused I.J., are you conflating as I assume that you are, the U.S. Government with the predominant religion xtianity?

No, I am only saying that there are people who generally talk about things without ever learning.
They, in a sense, turn themselves into a God upon whom the universe revolves around.  They somehow know about everything ranging from politics, to religion, to history to science,..... you get the idea.

But when you asked them how much they have studied this subject, the answer is none other than…. Dr. Youtube or Professor Google

This goes for all people whether they are religious, agnostic, or athiest.

Was it cherry picking, we may never know. There could have been hundreds of interviews where the responses to the pointed questions were spot on and those were conviently left out. What the video does prove is that the interviewees we’re ignorant of World Geography and politics.

I agree
However, most people are not fond of reading books so just used the video to emphasize my point.
If someone wants an actual academic presentation then I suggest reading Technopoloy by Neil Postman.

Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

Posted: 21 December 2013 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  464
Joined  2013-12-20

I think a lot of it may have to do with people who haven’t developed much of an independent self-identity, they compensate by attaching to one or more already established belief system and when new knowledge challenges that belief system they feel personally attacked.

I used to be fairly active in the Christian church when I was was younger, but now I’m to the point where I have no problem with the theory put forward by some(like Tom Harpur in the book Pagan Christ) that Jesus Christ wasn’t even a literal figure, he may have been created from previous belief systems. But it took a gradual process of several years for me to work through to that point.

Knowledge comes with a certain responsibility, for instance if you accept the well founded theory that by adding more and more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere it will result in climate change that can have some serious consequences then that knowledge may come with the need to largely reorganize how we live on a social scale. There are ethical and moral implications with being open to new ideas that some people don’t seem very well equipped to handle.