3 of 4
33% say evolution did not happen
Posted: 11 January 2014 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
VYAZMA - 01 January 2014 11:05 AM
Thevillageatheist - 01 January 2014 07:17 AM

Sad but true but look at the percentage of “not sures” on the chart. That’s a sizable chunk of Americans who seem to not care one way or the other. It would be interesting if a poll could reveal what motivated their uncertainty. e.g. Was it religiously motivated, out of ignorance or apathy. I’m inclined to believe the latter. We need more science classes and fully trained teachers in public education as a start.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/21329204.html

Cap’t Jack

Yes I totally agree with you VA.  It’s mostly apathy. Why wouldn’t it be?
We are science and learning people more or less.(me much less…) Obviously we are focused on these polls and on the concept of evolution itself.
But what does the idea of evolution do for most people on a day to day basis?  Nothing. It does nothing for me either.  And I know about it!

People don’t care about evolution..and they shouldn’t have to if they don’t want to. After learning it in school of course and graduating
all the classes with acceptable grades. After that…let them pursue their interests and goals. And obviously your average person
can’t do anything with the knowledge of evolution.

Evolution does affect all of us on a day-to-day basis. If it weren’t for evolution we would have almost no effective medicines, no vaccinations and almost no knowledge of genetics.  Anyone who rejects evolution knows nothing about evolution. It is proven to exist every day in laboratories and is the bedrock of biology.

“Evolutionary processes give rise to diversity at every level of biological organisation, including species, individual organisms and molecules such as DNA and proteins.” Wikipedia

Try doing without it. 

It’s theism alone that leads people to reject evolution.  It’s theism that interferes with scientific understanding. People who reject evolution reject humanity and science.

Lois

Posted: 12 January 2014 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Lois - 11 January 2014 10:03 PM

Evolution does affect all of us on a day-to-day basis. If it weren’t for evolution we would have almost no effective medicines, no vaccinations and almost no knowledge of genetics.  Anyone who rejects evolution knows nothing about evolution. It is proven to exist every day in laboratories and is the bedrock of biology.

Yet millions of people are getting along just fine by being apathetic about it.
Probably because they are not the ones developing the medicines or doing the research.

“Evolutionary processes give rise to diversity at every level of biological organisation, including species, individual organisms and molecules such as DNA and proteins.” Wikipedia
Try doing without it. 

How would I go about trying to do without it?

It’s theism alone that leads people to reject evolution.  It’s theism that interferes with scientific understanding. People who reject evolution reject humanity and science.

Lois

Do you know the difference between rejecting and apathy?

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  4404
Joined  2010-08-15
VYAZMA - 12 January 2014 12:16 PM
Lois - 11 January 2014 10:03 PM

Yet millions of people are getting along just fine by being apathetic about it.

Let’s consider how well we have done without an appreciation for evolution. . .

we have guaranteed that over the next few decades / half century, pretty near all coastal cities will be trashed beyond recognition.

But, Republicans tell us that’s no problem we can adapt,
although the GOP’s only strategy for adaptation seems to be clinging to their fantasy/cartoon Bible stories with ever more fervor and to buy ever more weapons of mass destruction for the home and the nation.

Yet, the geophysical reality of this planet we depend on is simple - if we spend another decade continuing to ignore what we are doing to our atmosphere (that is continuing the exponentially growing injections of ‘greenhouse gases’ into our thin atmosphere) along with it’s cascading consequences we will pretty much guarantee the end of not only “globalism” but human civilization, if not the species entirely.

And you say no problem?

And yes I am convinced the two* are intimately connected.

*Willful ignorance and that faith-based rejection of the fundamentals of evolution science - both planetary and biological, (which are actually more intertwined that people suspect) - and the general public oblivious attitude towards what we are doing to our planet’s life-support system.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 12 January 2014 01:01 PM

Let’s consider how well we have done without an appreciation for evolution. . .

we have guaranteed that over the next few decades / half century, pretty near all coastal cities will be trashed beyond recognition.

But, Republicans tell us that’s no problem we can adapt,
although the GOP’s only strategy for adaptation seems to be clinging to their fantasy/cartoon Bible stories with ever more fervor and to buy ever more weapons of mass destruction for the home and the nation.

Yet, the geophysical reality of this planet we depend on is simple - if we spend another decade continuing to ignore what we are doing to our atmosphere (that is continuing the exponentially growing injections of ‘greenhouse gases’ into our thin atmosphere) along with it’s cascading consequences we will pretty much guarantee the end of not only “globalism” but human civilization, if not the species entirely.

And you say no problem?

And yes I am convinced the two* are intimately connected.

*Willful ignorance and that faith-based rejection of the fundamentals of evolution science - both planetary and biological, (which are actually more intertwined that people suspect) - and the general public oblivious attitude towards what we are doing to our planet’s life-support system.

I had no idea that Global Warming and Evolution were somehow connected.
But hey, what are you wasting time for CC, you better get busy convincing everyone that knowledge of evolution is important to the survival
of the Planet.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

i’m working on it,

too bad it’ll be too late to make a damned bit of difference.
~ ~ ~

yea, yippy it’s all a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago

Youz got yours so damned the rest.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I’ll ask you too CC, do you know the difference between rejection(willful ignorance) and apathy?  Try to stay within at least a few miles of my points.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
VYAZMA - 12 January 2014 01:37 PM

I’ll ask you too CC, do you know the difference between rejection(willful ignorance) and apathy?  Try to stay within at least a few miles of my points.

Yea, look at the way the Republicans have framed the Global Warming science debate !  angry

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Willful ignorance is accepting the sort of total transparent con-job folks the likes of Lindzen, Morano, Watts, McIntyre et als. spout.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 12 January 2014 01:38 PM
VYAZMA - 12 January 2014 01:37 PM

Yea, look at the way the Republicans have framed the Global Warming science debate !  angry

Is this about global warming now. Are we shifting to a new topic?

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 12 January 2014 01:40 PM

Willful ignorance is accepting the sort of total transparent con-job folks the likes of Lindzen, Morano, Watts, McIntyre et als. spout.

That’s great. Now to my main point….what do you think apathy is in relation to the millions and millions of people who
at the very least are not as zealous as you concerning global warming or having an intimate knowledge of evolution?

You think it’s their fault they don’t know more?  You think they should devote their time to learning about things that they obviously don’t care about?
How do you go about getting people to be interested in global warming CC?  Evolution?

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Willful Ignorance is claiming it’s OK and don’t make a bit of difference that half the population and more believe that an understanding of reality can be found in an ancient book. 

Worse that it’s OK to humor folks who literally believe this planet was created in six days six thousand years ago. 

That sort of nonsense should be called out every time some fraud spouts it!  Otherwise we wind up with a population of folks who believe science can me made to fit into their dogmatic beliefs and that any evidence indicating otherwise can be lied about and ignored no matter how dishonest the tactics needed to suppress that real world evidence.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
VYAZMA - 12 January 2014 01:46 PM

How do you go about getting people to be interested in global warming CC?  Evolution?

Great question but not pertinent what I just said.

sorry babe’s standing at the door and I gotta run

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 12 January 2014 01:48 PM
VYAZMA - 12 January 2014 01:46 PM

Great question but not pertinent what I just said.

Oh.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

ap·a·thy
ˈapəTHē/Submit
noun
lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
“widespread apathy among students”

CC and Lois….try to understand what I’m saying before you go running for your soapboxes please.
I never said anything about “rejection” or “willful ignorance” in my posts in the past 3-4 pages.

I believe it is foolish and selfish to equate apathy with rejection or willful ignorance.

I personally don’t begrudge anyone for apathy on any particular subject ....ever!  How could anyone?  What do you want to do, put microchips in their heads?

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2014 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Stop mixing up diagnosis with cure!

Signature 

3 of 4