4 of 11
We’re Running out of water
Posted: 13 January 2014 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2012-07-02
Thevillageatheist - 13 January 2014 07:59 PM

So, is that an IMO Robert, because I see no research to back your claim.

Yes, I will leave it simply as my personal opinion. The necessary effort to back it would be far more effort than I’m willing to put in here.

Signature 

“When your arguments are…ashes. Then you have my permission to cry.”

Posted: 13 January 2014 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  3253
Joined  2011-08-15

Yes, I will leave it simply as my personal opinion. The necessary effort to back it would be far more effort than I’m willing to put in here.

Ok, I’ll leave it at that for now.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 January 2014 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Speaking of desalination its got its down sides too.

http://greenopedia.com/article/desalination-seawater-can-do-more-harm-good

As for developing solutions, how’s that going to happen when a huge portion of our population don’t even believe there’s a problem?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 14 January 2014 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Speaking of desalination its got its down sides too.

http://greenopedia.com/article/desalination-seawater-can-do-more-harm-good

As for developing solutions, how’s that going to happen when a huge portion of our population don’t even believe there’s a problem?

Yeah, they’ll blame it on god’s wrath or Obama and trust the evil “tax and spend government” to solve the problem then whine about the cost and how the people without water should get off their ass and dig wells.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 January 2014 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

John Mayall   “Nature’s Disappearing”
Turn this up loud and enjoy, won’t you?
Make sure you have decent speakers…not those tinny little laptop jobs!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 14 January 2014 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  4858
Joined  2007-10-05
VYAZMA - 14 January 2014 09:58 PM

John Mayall   “Nature’s Disappearing”
Turn this up loud and enjoy, won’t you?
Make sure you have decent speakers…not those tinny little laptop jobs!

Excellent!

Here’s another classic. Marvin Gaye, Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology).

Amazing that these musicians figured this out 40 years ago.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 14 January 2014 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2012-07-02

I’m actually in favour of nature disappearing in its current form. Nature is a brutal, vicious, amoral, and inefficient system. While the beauty of nature exists, it’s only appreciated by those who live outside of it in the comforts of modern living in artificial environments.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2014 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Robert Walper - 14 January 2014 10:53 PM

I’m actually in favour of nature disappearing in its current form. Nature is a brutal, vicious, amoral, and inefficient system. While the beauty of nature exists, it’s only appreciated by those who live outside of it in the comforts of modern living in artificial environments.

Are you a Jehovah’s Witness by any chance? 

~ ~ ~
Alternately, what do you think of the “mega-corporate free market” system?  Have they figured it out?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 15 January 2014 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

You are being facetious right? You’re aware that you’re an indelible part of the system and what you are advocating is your own suicide. I agree that it is an amoral and sometimes brutal system but there were many humans who lived outside of the modern comforts of our artificial environment who appreciated the wildness of nature and it’s challenges, e.g. Henry David Thoreau comes to mind.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 January 2014 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

Ha ! Thoreau was a bum who sponged off of his buddy Ralph….He did not rough it. He liked the idea of roughing and loved to write about it but he was not fond of the back breaking work and the boredom….so he hoofed it into town and lived on and off with the Emmersons. Nature is not kind or nice. All of the comments that I read here are romantic but are lacking in reality when it comes to nature. None of the global warming boohoos would survive three days in northern Canada. We in Canada are gleefully awaiting global warming….more heat more CO2 for our wheat and Douglas Firs….so what now ? Polar vortex ( too much cold) caused by too much heat…..WOW.

Posted: 15 January 2014 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Ha ! Thoreau was a bum who sponged off of his buddy Ralph….He did not rough it. He liked the idea of roughing and loved to write about it but he was not fond of the back breaking work and the boredom….so he hoofed it into town and lived on and off with the Emmersons. Nature is not kind or nice. All of the comments that I read here are romantic but are lacking in reality when it comes to nature. None of the global warming boohoos would survive three days in northern Canada. We in Canada are gleefully awaiting global warming….more heat more CO2 for our wheat and Douglas Firs….so what now ? Polar vortex ( too much cold) caused by too much heat…..WOW.

Sorry Sine but you can’t casually wave off Thoreau by misbranding him a bum which he wasn’t, at any time in his life BTW. When he stayed with Emerson he paid for his keep by tutoring Emerson’s kids, working as a repairman, and was Emerson’s Gardner as well as for Nathaniel Hawthorne. He also worked at his father’s pencil factory. Secondly, he did “rough it” in the cabin he built and stayed in near Walden Pond for over two years, only visiting the town nearby for needed supplies. If you read the book you’d have known that of course. He also traveled extensively writing about his experiences in nature. Did he live exclusively in a natural setting? No he didn’t but he was a naturalist who believed in preserving and learning about the environment as did Darwin. They were contemporaries. As to “romantics” on this site, that’s a strawman argument at best. This is a forum for skeptics who demand empirical evidence e.g. AGW is a provable fact. If you in anyway believe that it would be beneficial to Canadians then you’ve been drinking too much Moose Drool, to borrow a cliche. So you believe that skeptics wouldn’t survive on the tundra? Are you implying that being a romantic or skeptic (I don’t really know what a boohoo is) couldn’t survive with the proper gear and shelter? In fact there is nowhere on this planet that hasn’t been at one time occupied or explored by humans, not one. You naysayers seem to forget that we originated in the natural World, lived within it for 7 million years and became HomoSapiens in the coldest and harshest climate in geological history, the Pleistocene era. We survived with scant clothing, stone weapons and animals that considered us prey. A mere five hundred years ago our Native American ancestors were still living in nature and surviving just fine. And gosh, some of em are still living an iron age existence. So, nature may be brutal to the “civilized” man but we haven’t yet lost our ability to live within it, at least not yet. Let’s hope we don’t destroy what’s left or we’re doomed and that means you Canadians too.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 January 2014 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

I like you Cap’t Jack.
That was a roaring good response to my rant.
I am not sure how we could destroy nature.
We can change it…..but I don’t believe that we can destroy it…...nature responds…...re-invents and rebounds. It has for a long time and I think that it will for a long time to come. We are nature after all.

Posted: 15 January 2014 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
DarronS - 14 January 2014 10:19 PM

Amazing that these musicians figured this out 40 years ago.

Yeah…I don’t know what to say.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 15 January 2014 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2012-07-02
Thevillageatheist - 15 January 2014 08:10 AM

You are being facetious right?

Actually no I’m not. I think what we define as nature in it’s natural form leaves much to be desired and should be re-engineered intelligently when it can be.

[ Edited: 15 January 2014 01:56 PM by Robert Walper ]
 Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2014 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Actually no I’m not. I think what we define as nature in it’s natural form leaves much to be desired and should be re-engineered intelligently when it can be.

We have re-engineered it Robert. We even built a park in the middle of this country’s largest city, damned rivers, blown up mountains, built artificial beaches along our coasts, drained swamps, etc. etc. but it all comes with a price as you well know. We can’t tame hurricanes, tornadoes, prevent earthquakes or cap off volcanoes, just get out of the way as best we can and learn to live within the parameters of the natural World. Personally, I like the natural World. I’m surrounded by it here in the Eastern Woodlands. I enjoy watching the seasons change, I revel in the Winter’s icy cold and the heat of Summer. I enjoy watching the animals near our home although I don’t like to have to clean up after the raccoons have ravaged our trash cans but a few bricks solved that problem for now. They’re plotting to knock them off as we speak. I like the wildness and the unpredictability of nature and if I need a shot of dull sameness I can visit cities in three states.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

4 of 11