2 of 2
How does CFI appoint itself?
Posted: 18 January 2014 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6130
Joined  2009-02-26

highflyertoo, date=“1390081229”
So why do CFI claim to be investigators of the paranormal if they can’t detect it?

Does CFI investigate the paranormal? I thought someone explained that CFI investigates “claims” of the paranormal.

What makes the skeptical community think they have the ability to find the scientific evidence required to make the paranormal a known scientific fact?

Has the skeptical community (who are these guys?) made the claim to have the ability to find scientific evidence required to make the paranormal a known scientific fact? Are you part of the skeptical community? You seem to have the ability to make the paranormal a known scientific fact. You have had the experience, no?  I must admit I am impressed.

If the paranormal has made a visitation to me then why must I be placed on the lunatic fringe junk heap?

How could anyone place you on the lunatic fringe heap when they don’t know yet about the paranormal visitation you experienced?
Please do tell me about it.

So critical thinking is a very weak tool when dismissing the existence of paranormal activity.

Again, I have not seen anyone (including Hitchins) outright dismiss the existence of paranormal activity.

There are questions that must be answered, else how can one convince and /or teach another how to recognize these activities? Don’t you agree?

I did state that IMO something Supernatural is by definition not Natural (observable), but I am open to being taught. In fact I must admit I am curious. Would do me the favor of explaining your visitation, and thereby backing up your claim?

[ Edited: 18 January 2014 11:04 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 January 2014 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
highflyertoo - 18 January 2014 09:40 AM

So why do CFI claim to be investigators of the paranormal if they can’t detect it?

What makes the skeptical community think they have the ability to find the scientific evidence required to make the paranormal a known scientific fact?

If the paranormal has made a visitation to me then why must I be placed on the lunatic fringe junk heap?

So critical thinking is a very weak tool when dismissing the existence of paranormal activity.

Critical thinking is the ONLY tool anyone can use when trying to establish whether anything paranormal has occurred.

Who is placing you onthe lunatic fringe heap? Certainly not CFI.  It must be somehing you are worried about.

The skeptical community does not claim it has the ability to find scientific evidence required to make the paranormal a scientific fact. It offers to weigh the evidence a claimant presents.  If no valid evidence is found they will make a statement to that effect.  The burden of proof is on you. You can’t blame CFI or any other investigatory body for saying that your evidence is invalid. If you want anyone to accept your claim as true you have to provide testable evidence that supports it. If you are unwilling or unable to do this, your claim will be considered invalid by any critical thinker. Don’t shoot the messenger. Learn about critical thinking.

You can start here: http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/defining-critical-thinking/766

[ Edited: 18 January 2014 01:15 PM by Lois ]

Posted: 18 January 2014 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

If you want to blame or attack anyone try CFI’s number one paranormal investigator Joe Nickell. He’s debunked many an extraordinary claim, including the infamous “Shroud of Turin”. you might even read one of his books or pick up a copy of Carroll’s The Skeptics Dictionary to start. Of course you could just chuck skepticism aside and believe in what you preceive you see or hear. If the latter then I strongly suggest a visit to your physician.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 January 2014 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-02-03
Thevillageatheist - 18 January 2014 04:37 PM

If you want to blame or attack anyone try CFI’s number one paranormal investigator Joe Nickell. He’s debunked many an extraordinary claim, including the infamous “Shroud of Turin”. you might even read one of his books or pick up a copy of Carroll’s The Skeptics Dictionary to start. Of course you could just chuck skepticism aside and believe in what you preceive you see or hear. If the latter then I strongly suggest a visit to your physician.

Cap’t Jack

And what particular physician would you suggest to put my head straight?

1) Non religious practicing physician

2) Religious practicing physician

3) Other

Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

Posted: 18 January 2014 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  6130
Joined  2009-02-26

highflyertoo,

IMHO, you are going about this the wrong way. You cannot expect being welcomed when you enter a house with critisism on its architecture.

I’d really like to hear about your experience and data that may support your claim from a historical or even scientific viewpoint. IOW. do not ask people to just believe your experience, but present evidence in science which may support your subjective experience or at least justify your beliefs.
Presenting a controversial subject is “hard work” and requires dedication and willingness to “listen” and critically analyze your own work before you allow others to critically examine your claim.

Can you start a thread in the Paranormal forum? Perhaps your experience is not supernatural at all, but just an extraordinary natural event which may offer a new perspective.
Keep in mind that “gravity” (an unseen field that affects everything in the universe) was experienced by Newton when observing an apple falling down instead of up and asking “why do all solid objects fall down” (while smoke rises up).

I am slowly putting together a remarkable similarity between the holography of the human brain and quantum holography of the universe.
Being that I am not a learned scientist (layman), you can well imagine the wringer I will face from several sources (hopefully).  But I won’t post until I have prepared myself best as I can to “defend” my claim. 

If you want a serious discussion on your experience, state your claim and be prepared to defend it from with “known science” and “links to reliable sites” which are pertinent to your claim.

btw. the term “critical thinking”. It does not mean “critisism from ignorance”, on the contrary.

Bing Dictionary, critical thinking;
1.type of critical analysis: disciplined intellectual criticism that combines research, knowledge of historical context, and balanced judgment

[ Edited: 18 January 2014 08:46 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 January 2014 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
highflyertoo - 18 January 2014 06:08 PM

Cap’t Jack

3) Other

“Other”.  A physician who understands critical thinking and psychiatric disorders such as delusions and obsessions. A non-religious psychiatrist would fit fit the bill.

Lois

Posted: 19 January 2014 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-03

W4U could you please ignore the spell check in regards to Christopher’s surname… it’s Hitchens wink

Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

Posted: 19 January 2014 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-03

Cap’t Jack

I may try to contact Joe Nickell to see if he can lay an enticing trap for the shadow monster entities. Thanks

Just noticed Joe doesn’t have an email address and can’t do one on one…... so he’s no longer an option.

[ Edited: 19 January 2014 12:38 AM by highflyertoo ]
 Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

Posted: 19 January 2014 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-03
Lois - 18 January 2014 10:21 PM
highflyertoo - 18 January 2014 06:08 PM

Cap’t Jack

3) Other

“Other”.  A physician who understands critical thinking and psychiatric disorders such as delusions and obsessions. A non-religious psychiatrist would fit fit the bill.

Lois

Why not an independent?Isn’t being neutral the real skeptical approach?

Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

2 of 2