Lois

I don’t understand! come again.

Posted: 22 January 2014 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  624
Joined  2013-06-01

Even god like beer.
In today’s news.
In Egypt the discovered the tomb of the beer maker for a god.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/20/world/meast/egypt-ancient-beer-brewer-tomb/

Posted: 22 January 2014 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
MikeYohe - 22 January 2014 01:34 PM

Even god like beer.
In today’s news.
In Egypt the discovered the tomb of the beer maker for a god.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/20/world/meast/egypt-ancient-beer-brewer-tomb/

YeeHaa,
I’ll drink to that,
and up you one.

THE 45 MILLION YEAR OLD BEER
http://www.fossilfuelsbrewingco.com

Pint glasses full of Fossil Fuels Beer are raising eyebrows around northern California. This could be due to the fact that the unique ingredient for the line of Fossil Fuels beer is a yeast strain dating back to the Eocene Epoch, which is about 45 million years ago. A team of scientists, Dr. Raul Cano (Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA) and Lewis “Chip” Lambert (Fremont, CA), are partnering with brew masters to produce what is surely one of the most interesting and unique beers of this or any time.

also see:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-08/ff_primordial_yeast?currentPage=all

I wonder if it comes in an IPA?  cool smile

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 22 January 2014 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree with Lois.  I’ve never tasted a beer that I would want to take a second sip of.  If it wasn’t bad enough, the addition of hops to make it nauseatingly bitter finishes it off.  zipper

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 January 2014 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3253
Joined  2011-08-15

THE 45 MILLION YEAR OLD BEER
http://www.fossilfuelsbrewingco.com

Pint glasses full of Fossil Fuels Beer are raising eyebrows around northern California. This could be due to the fact that the unique ingredient for the line of Fossil Fuels beer is a yeast strain dating back to the Eocene Epoch, which is about 45 million years ago. A team of scientists, Dr. Raul Cano (Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA) and Lewis “Chip” Lambert (Fremont, CA), are partnering with brew masters to produce what is surely one of the most interesting and unique beers of this or any time.

Hey, I’m ready to try a pint. Sounds interesting as long as It dosen’t taste like it came from the Eocene! I believe that the oldest beer was actually brewed in Iran ca. 5,000 BCE. It was mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh when Enkidu got smashed on it. There’s even a recipe for it written on cuneiform tablets. My favorite brew is Porter. I found one recently called Great Lakes Beer and the porter is called Edmund Fitzgerald, named after the freighter. Damn good stuff. A little lighter than Guiness.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 January 2014 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  624
Joined  2013-06-01

Yea, the oldest readable text known to mankind is a beer tab.

Posted: 22 January 2014 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
MikeYohe - 22 January 2014 01:28 PM
Lois - 22 January 2014 01:14 PM

My favorite beer is no beer. wink

Lois

I don’t understand! come again.

It sounds as if you’ve never tried no beer. You don’t know what you’re missing. wink

Lois

Posted: 23 January 2014 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 22 January 2014 07:07 PM

I agree with Lois.  I’ve never tasted a beer that I would want to take a second sip of.  If it wasn’t bad enough, the addition of hops to make it nauseatingly bitter finishes it off.  zipper

Occam

I am not a fan of ‘hoppsy’ beer. (IMO most) American micro-breweries seem to think that more is better. Blech. Give me nice malty beers from the UK and Germany any day.

No beer is what I aspire to on work nights. LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 23 January 2014 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3253
Joined  2011-08-15

Speaking of good brews, ever paid $7,600. For a bottle? The first bottle of Tutankhamun Ale sold for that much. Must have
Been damn good! I like beer but ... Here’s nine others:

http://headoverbeers.wordpress.com/tag/tutankhamun-ale/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 23 January 2014 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09

Beer; ah, well now.

When I lived in England, more than 40 years ago (!) I drank either Mackeson’s stout or Watney’s Cream Label stout; I don’t think either is exported. But when I went back for a visit a few years ago, Mackeson’s was still around in a few places but Cream Label (the best, of course) seemed to have vanished off the face of the Earth. A nice English ale is Old Speckled Hen, but I don’t think it’s available everywhere. It can occasionally be found in Canada, but in minutely small quantities. Nowadays we get Newcastle Brown also; good stuff, but expensive.

When I first came to Canada you could get either lager, lager or lager, and fairly mediocre stuff at best; Labatt’s Blue, Molson Canadian or something called Extra Old Stock; the tastes were indistinguishable. More recently, however, some small craft breweries in B.C. and Alberta have been producing some pretty good beers; Race Rocks Whale Tail Ale or Okanagan Springs Ales can be recommended. I live in Mexico part of the year, but most of the local beers I’ve tried are fairly mediocre imitations of American lager. The only ones I’d recommend are Negra Modelo, or, failing that, Bohemia Obscura.

I’m no wine expert ( despite living for most of the year in the Okanagan Valley, one of Canada’s prime wine producing areas), but a Shiraz red goes down nicely with a meal; although my favourite Shiraz is (whisper) Australian (!)

For the hard stuff, there are several nice single malt Scotches, although personally I prefer the Speysides such as Glenlivet or Aberlour to the Hebridean malts, which seem to me to be somewhat harsh and bitter. Aficionados of Laphroaig will no doubt want to lynch me for saying that. However, some Irish whiskeys such as Old Bushmills or Jamiesons are the equal of any single malt Scotch, in my opinion. I gave some to a Scottish friend who is, truth be told, something of a whisky snob, and he pronounced it excellent - “very smooth and mellow.” I’m not a fan of Tequila, but here in Mexico I’ve found an amazingly smooth white rum called Salamandras, 65 pesos (a little over $5) for a litre bottle - for some things, Mexico can’t be beaten.

TFS

Posted: 23 January 2014 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

More of a whiskey drinker myself. Beer is fine, but took much volume for the alchohol! Aberlour Abunadh, Oban, Bushmill’s Honey

I do enjoy an occasional Anchor Steam, Newcastle, or Chimay

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 23 January 2014 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Sorcerer, Labatt Blue is a Pilsener.
I can see the possible room for confusion, but it is definitely a Pilsener. It’s stated right on the bottle.

It’s crisper, lighter(in body) and hoppier than “Canadian” by Molson for example.

That being said…it is not the brightest, skunkiest(which I love), Pilsener out there. I could see it being confused with typical
mass produced beers that claim to be lagers or pilseners.

Labatt Blue is my favorite beer.  I prefer mass produced, well reputed beers over micro brews or craft beers.
I do not drink American Beers, because I feel they are NOT beer to begin with.
Labatt Blue is just a couple of notches away from being relegated to this “American” category for me.
But it suffices.
I live in Buffalo, which is also the largest consumer of Labatt Blue.( I like that.)
My next choice would be Heineken.(again due to mass production and universal availability) I don’t like to try different beers and switch around.
I get with a label that is good and stick with it. Yes I’m that guy. The loyal brand beer drinker.
Think Hopper in “Blue Velvet”...“Heineken??!?!? Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!!”(except reversed)

I lived in Germany for 3 years and I consider that to have been my beer awakening. Those were truly beer times.
Augustiner, Bitburger, Hasen Braeu, Koenigs Pils, Paulaner.

As a note, I have not had an alcoholic beverage in 5 years. I do plan to return to alcohol after a 10 year hiatus.
Or maybe I won’t.

[ Edited: 23 January 2014 03:38 PM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 23 January 2014 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Thevillageatheist - 23 January 2014 02:13 PM

Speaking of good brews, ever paid $7,600. For a bottle? The first bottle of Tutankhamun Ale sold for that much. Must have
Been damn good! I like beer but ... Here’s nine others:

http://headoverbeers.wordpress.com/tag/tutankhamun-ale/

Cap’t Jack

Wow. Pabst Blue Ribbon takes back the ribbon   tongue rolleye

funny to think - in the day it used to be a real premium America brew.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 23 January 2014 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09
VYAZMA - 23 January 2014 03:36 PM

Sorcerer, Labatt Blue is a Pilsener.
I can see the possible room for confusion, but it is definitely a Pilsener. It’s stated right on the bottle.

Pilsener is merely a variety of lager.

http://askville.amazon.com/difference-pilsener-beer-lager/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=8510184

Either way, I don’t like them. Never have, never will. Gassy, tasteless; beer for folks who don’t know about real beer, in my opinion.

TFS

Posted: 23 January 2014 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Theflyingsorcerer - 23 January 2014 06:04 PM

Pilsener is merely a variety of lager.

http://askville.amazon.com/difference-pilsener-beer-lager/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=8510184

Either way, I don’t like them. Never have, never will. Gassy, tasteless; beer for folks who don’t know about real beer, in my opinion.

TFS

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

2 of 5

‹‹ How does CFI appoint itself?      Preachers ››