3 of 5
What beer do you like?
Posted: 23 January 2014 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

I’m with TFS. There are very few good lagers. Gimme a dark ale, and don’t try to shove that hoppy IPA crap on me.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 23 January 2014 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2887
Joined  2011-08-15

Wow. Pabst Blue Ribbon takes back the ribbon   

funny to think - in the day it used to be a real premium America brew.

Yeah, no kidding. My first taste of beer was a PBR I stole from my father at the tender age of 15. He drank it during the War as that’s all they were given and I guess he had a taste for it. I still prefer the darker brews, and the Weiss Brau too when I can get it.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 23 January 2014 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

I used to like all kinds of beers, leaning towards the darker heavier brews.
There was even a while I thought New Castle was the bomb.

But, in the past couple decades I’ve kinda settled into a groove of those hoppy IPAs.

Now here’s the part I wonder about, I try all the IPAs that come through -
and though I’ll find this and that brew tasting good and worth repeat purchasing for a while,
I always seem to hit a wall, and it’s OK, time to move on.
Yet, I keep finding myself coming back with Sierra Nevada.

Now the head trip part of that is
How much does that preference have to do with my nostalgia towards the Sierra’s and that great label -
and how much is unbiased taste buds? 

Of course it has be in the ball park of what I like,
but there are plenty of very good IPAs (or whatever other style you choose)
all having just slightly difference characteristics.
What why one?  Is it sort of like love smile

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 24 January 2014 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-10-09

It was Seneca, or Cicero, or one of those old Romans, who said it first (as far as we know): “De gustibus non est disputandum”. Translated; in matters of taste there can be no dispute, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc., etc.

But I have a story to tell. I’ve already mentioned that Watney’s have apparently stopped making my favourite beer. But then there were tinned puddings that I used to like, in England many decades ago. My favourite was ginger pudding; but one day the manufacturer stopped making ginger puddings. “No demand for them,” I was told. More recently, in Canada, at the Food Emporium where I do most of my grocery shopping, there were some cheese scones I particularly liked; but one day -you’ve guessed it - I went to the bakery section, and - no cheese scones. I accosted a passing Emporium minion: “Where are the cheese scones, my good fellow?” “Oh,” he replied, “They’re not making them any more.” Appalled, I went to see the bakery department manager, and, sure enough, he confirmed that “they” - the mysterious, shadowy “they” - had ceased manufacturing cheese scones. “Not much demand for them,” I was told (!!)

Now, I’m not paranoid - at least, not very much - but if I was…..

“It’s a conspiracy, I tell you, a conspiracy! Why doesn’t anyone believe me?........”

TFS

Posted: 24 January 2014 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Solution TFS: look up the recipe and make them yourself. even beer. One of my uncles was fed up with not finding the taste he was looking for so he bought a rather inexpensive beer making kit and with a little experimentation actually found the taste he wanted. So he made a batch of it and gave me a couple of bottles. It was delicious, not to hoppsey, not to bready, juuuust right!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 January 2014 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2012-10-27
Theflyingsorcerer - 24 January 2014 11:31 AM

It was Seneca, or Cicero, or one of those old Romans, who said it first (as far as we know): “De gustibus non est disputandum”. Translated; in matters of taste there can be no dispute, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc., etc.

But I have a story to tell. I’ve already mentioned that Watney’s have apparently stopped making my favourite beer. But then there were tinned puddings that I used to like, in England many decades ago. My favourite was ginger pudding; but one day the manufacturer stopped making ginger puddings. “No demand for them,” I was told. More recently, in Canada, at the Food Emporium where I do most of my grocery shopping, there were some cheese scones I particularly liked; but one day -you’ve guessed it - I went to the bakery section, and - no cheese scones. I accosted a passing Emporium minion: “Where are the cheese scones, my good fellow?” “Oh,” he replied, “They’re not making them any more.” Appalled, I went to see the bakery department manager, and, sure enough, he confirmed that “they” - the mysterious, shadowy “they” - had ceased manufacturing cheese scones. “Not much demand for them,” I was told (!!)

“It’s a conspiracy, I tell you, a conspiracy! Why doesn’t anyone believe me?........”

TFS

I think you’re right. It’s one kind of conspiracy I can believe in.  As soon as I find a good product, be it food or well-fitting   clothing or shoes, I know that they are going to stop making it. I have to train myself that the minute I find something I like to buy 10 of them right away before the supply runs out.

If you’re any kind of a cook (or if there is a kind one in the family) you can make ginger pudding. There are several recipes on the Internet.

Lois

Posted: 24 January 2014 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  483
Joined  2013-06-01
Theflyingsorcerer - 24 January 2014 11:31 AM

TFS

Yea, I know what you mean. I still miss the cabbage rolls. Ham and cabbage cooked inside a bread roll by the bakery. Boy, they were good.

Posted: 24 January 2014 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-10-09

..... then there’s magazines. I used to get Discover magazine through Publisher’s Clearing House, at a big discount and with a chance (!!) to win a fortune….. but PCH doesn’t carry Discover any more. Several other magazines I used to take no longer exist. Then there was marine bits and pieces for wooden boats; no more, all nylon and plastic rubbish nowadays. And as for model railroad kits and components - don’t get me started on model railroad kits and components. “No demand,” they tell me. Well I’M demanding them, dammit…....

Our civilization is doomed. Doomed!

TFS

[ Edited: 24 January 2014 02:32 PM by Theflyingsorcerer ]

Posted: 24 January 2014 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Theflyingsorcerer - 24 January 2014 02:28 PM

And as for model railroad kits and components - don’t get me started on model railroad kits and components. “No demand,” they tell me. Well I’M demanding them, dammit…....

Have you tried MicroMark? And if you get to the SF Bay Area, check out The Train Shop in Santa Clara. (I couldn’t find a company website for them.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 24 January 2014 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

My standard brew is Labatt’s Blue, a fairly light commercial beer, in the summer I often switch to Molson’s Ale as it is lighter still.  I do like certain IPAs during colder weather.  For many years I have done day trips to the NYS Finger Lakes region for the wine trails, the last few years many craft breweries have opened in the area so I sample many beers there.  I never have attempted to brew my own and with the expanding amount of local brew houses and craft beers in this area, it doesn’t look like I will have to. 

BTW; this discussion is standard in many congregations of the Church of the Corner Bar.  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 24 January 2014 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Have you tried MicroMark? And if you get to the SF Bay Area, check out The Train Shop in Santa Clara. (I couldn’t find a company website for them.)

I’ve used that company for years (MicroMark). They carry a full line of train supplies, all gauges. I buy ship model supplies from them. Their shipping is super fast, usually within the week.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 January 2014 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
Theflyingsorcerer - 23 January 2014 02:48 PM

Beer; ah, well now.

When I lived in England, more than 40 years ago (!) I drank either Mackeson’s stout or Watney’s Cream Label stout; I don’t think either is exported. But when I went back for a visit a few years ago, Mackeson’s was still around in a few places but Cream Label (the best, of course) seemed to have vanished off the face of the Earth. A nice English ale is Old Speckled Hen, but I don’t think it’s available everywhere. It can occasionally be found in Canada, but in minutely small quantities. Nowadays we get Newcastle Brown also; good stuff, but expensive.

TFS

I’ve tried “Old Speckled Hen”, it can be found on the east coast of the US.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 25 January 2014 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2013-12-20
TromboneAndrew - 21 January 2014 05:55 PM

Stella Artois is only a good beer to people who haven’t tried very many good beers.

raspberry

It’s not terrible. Just kinda meh.

IMHO.

I don’t drink a lot and don’t experiment with consumables very much any more due to bad allergies.

I’ll modify my statement by saying it’s a great beer for me because it tastes good and doesn’t make me sick.smile

Posted: 25 January 2014 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
Fuzzy Logic - 25 January 2014 05:02 PM
TromboneAndrew - 21 January 2014 05:55 PM

Stella Artois is only a good beer to people who haven’t tried very many good beers.

raspberry

It’s not terrible. Just kinda meh.

IMHO.

I don’t drink a lot and don’t experiment with consumables very much any more due to bad allergies.

I’ll modify my statement by saying it’s a great beer for me because it tastes good and doesn’t make me sick.smile

There you go.  It’s like the wine mystique. A true wine connoisseur will always say, if it tastes good to you then it’s good wine!

Stella Artois is a great beer. There’s a little bit of some pretentious BS going on here. 
Like T-Bone’s comments here, or The Flying Sorcerer’s comments about lagers.

Lagers are probably drank at a 100:1 ratio over all other types of beers combined. Hmmmn?  Must be a reason for that.
Oktoberfest is the Worlds largest beer festival.  It features primarily(99%)lagers!
Germany is the worlds biggest consumer of beer. They drink primarily….lagers. They also know a thing or two about beer.

What we have here is a classic case of fickle consumerism.  People get tired of the same old thing so that want to try new things.
But they poo poo the old by default. Most are probably not “beer drinkers” to begin with….“Speckled Hen” LOL
What a bunch of hooey!  “Pardon me waiter, do you have Speckled Hen?....No, hmnnn well you should. It’s a distinguished beer.”

“Stella Artois is only a good beer for people who haven’t tried many good beers.”  LOL  What a laugh!!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 26 January 2014 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

Guinness off the tap is about the best beer that I have ever tasted in my life.

Chimay, is my top Belgium Ale.

Double Wide is my favorite IPA.

Gordon Biersch is my favorite drink at my AA meetings.

Corona w/lime is the best hot weather beer.

Budwiser Platinum is a great beer for lower carbs, yet maintaining a good alcohol contect without sacrificing taste.

3 of 5

‹‹ How does CFI appoint itself?      Preachers ››