2 of 4
Randi offers $1 Million Dollar for Perpetual Motion Machine
Posted: 29 January 2014 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
highflyertoo - 29 January 2014 07:34 AM
sine dues - 28 January 2014 01:24 PM

Randi is not a scientist….He is a magician. And a brilliant man and dedicated rationalist. He is one of the great men who confronts nonsense with common sense.

I thought Randi said he was a conjurer rather than a magician?

Anyhow here’s a video of a 2012 Tam meeting hosting the Million Dollar Challenge with James Randi in the Audience where Banacek make it’s very clear how the MDC is not only for psychics but for people claiming perpetual motion machines,etc…....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHs0vM3gRTA

So until my claim of ‘‘over-unity’’ has been decently debunked, I would advise you not to imply my claim is nonsense wink stay cool

Randi says he is a conjurer rather than a magician because his contention is that there is no such thing as magic, therefore no magicians. He is being consistent.

JREF examines any claims of the supernatural and anything that would contradict known scientific principles. So your PMM would certainly qualify for a first look.

Lois

Posted: 30 January 2014 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-02-03
Lois - 29 January 2014 03:12 PM

Randi is not a scientist….He is a magician. And a brilliant man and dedicated rationalist. He is one of the great men who confronts nonsense with common sense.

Anyhow here’s a video of a 2012 Tam meeting hosting the Million Dollar Challenge with James Randi in the Audience where Banacek make it’s very clear how the MDC is not only for psychics but for people claiming perpetual motion machines,etc…....

So until my claim of ‘‘over-unity’’ has been decently debunked, I would advise you not to imply my claim is nonsense wink stay cool

Randi says he is a conjurer rather than a magician because his contention is that there is no such thing as magic, therefore no magicians. He is being consistent.

JREF examines any claims of the supernatural and anything that would contradict known scientific principles. So your PMM would certainly qualify for a first look.

Lois

his contention or his belief?

don’t get when Randi says he can’t disprove supernatural yet is promoting that it can’t exist??

[ Edited: 30 January 2014 06:18 AM by highflyertoo ]
 Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

Posted: 30 January 2014 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2012-04-25

Wait, I think I missed something. Where’s your claim to something you’ve called Over Unity? Why don’t you summarize it here. If it can’t pass muster here it’s certainly not going to with Randi and others.

Posted: 31 January 2014 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
highflyertoo - 30 January 2014 06:15 AM
Lois - 29 January 2014 03:12 PM

Lois

his contention or his belief?

don’t get when Randi says he can’t disprove supernatural yet is promoting that it can’t exist??

No one is ever required to show that something is not true or doesn’t exist. The burden of proof is always on the person making a claim, not the person(s) the claim is made to—and those saying the supernatural is a true phenomenon have never shown a scintilla of evidence for their claim.  I doubt Randi has said the supernatural does not exist. He is taking the default position that it would be folly to assume a claim without evidence should be accepted as true. The fact that he is willing to test claims shows that he is open to evidence. It’s just that none has been shown, even with a million dollars on the table.

Can you prove Santa Claus doesn’t exist? Zeus? Any of the thousands of gods that have been proposed but for whom no evidence has been shown? If you can, please show us how you would go about proving that they don’t exist.  We skeptics will then use the same method to show that the supernatural does not exist. Until then, we take the rational default position of “not proven.”

Lois

Posted: 31 January 2014 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-03

Actually Randi has admitted that he can’t make a ‘‘test’’ to see if god(s) exist. which is very sensible.

I have made contact with Tim Mendham of the Australian Skeptics based in Sydney indicating it’s my intent to try for the preliminary test in Perth, Western Australia so I could then qualify for the final test which would attract the Eastern Staters to probably come over here to Perth…..

Now here’s a very interesting question to CFI members, if I actually win the Australian Skeptics price of $100,000 would the JREF acknowledge ‘‘over-unity’’ is scientifically verified and thereby only allow their MDC for paranormal claims only?

Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

Posted: 31 January 2014 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
highflyertoo - 31 January 2014 09:21 PM

Actually Randi has admitted that he can’t make a ‘‘test’’ to see if god(s) exist. which is very sensible.

I have made contact with Tim Mendham of the Australian Skeptics based in Sydney indicating it’s my intent to try for the preliminary test in Perth, Western Australia so I could then qualify for the final test which would attract the Eastern Staters to probably come over here to Perth…..

Now here’s a very interesting question to CFI members, if I actually win the Australian Skeptics price of $100,000 would the JREF acknowledge ‘‘over-unity’’ is scientifically verified and thereby only allow their MDC for paranormal claims only?

You’ll have to explain what “over-unity” is before I could attempt to answer that question.  I have never heard of over-unity. Please be specific.

Lois

[ Edited: 02 February 2014 02:33 AM by Lois ]

Posted: 01 February 2014 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-03
Lois - 31 January 2014 11:45 PM

You’ll have to explain what “over-unity” is before I could attempt to amswer that question.  I have never heard of over-unity. Please be specific.

Lois

over-unity is more than one hundred percent where as perpetual motion is 100%.... hey but don’t quote me wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

[ Edited: 01 February 2014 12:27 AM by highflyertoo ]
 Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

Posted: 01 February 2014 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
highflyertoo - 01 February 2014 12:25 AM

You’ll have to explain what “over-unity” is before I could attempt to answer that question.  I have never heard of over-unity. Please be specific.

Lois

over-unity is more than one hundred percent where as perpetual motion is 100%.... hey but don’t quote me wink

That is not how over-unity is defined. A perpetual motion machine is a device that produces more energy than it consumes. Over unity IS perpetual motion. They are not two different things.

I was unable to find the term over-unity in the Wikipedia article you cited. I could have overlooked it. Can you please cite the passage where it appears?

Also

The James Randi Foundation, on its website, states “The intial guidelines for submitting a Perpetual Motion Machine to the Challenge are very simple. The applicant must fulfill all guidelines stated in the Challenge Application, and must, additionally, have the machine built and ready to test prior to applying.”

According to a Wikipedia article, 

“Perpetual_motion a Perpetual Motion would violate the Law of Conservation of Energy thus should be regarded as supernatural.

“Perpetual motion usually refers to a device or system that delivers more energy than was put into it. Such a device or system would be in violation of the law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy can never be created or destroyed, and is therefore deemed impossible by the laws of physics.”

So your device cannot be rejected as not being a supernatural claim. JREF states that a claim to have created a perpetual motion machine is a supernatural claim.

Lois

[ Edited: 01 February 2014 12:53 AM by Lois ]

Posted: 01 February 2014 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-03
Lois - 01 February 2014 12:46 AM

Lois

That is not how over-unity is defined. A perpetual motion machine is a device that produces more energy than it consumes. Over unity IS perpetual motion. They are not two different things.

I was unable to find the term over-unity in the Wikipedia article you cited. I could have overlooked it. Can you please cite the passage where it appears?

Also

The James Randi Foundation, on its website, states “The intial guidelines for submitting a Perpetual Motion Machine to the Challenge are very simple. The applicant must fulfill all guidelines stated in the Challenge Application, and must, additionally, have the machine built and ready to test prior to applying.”

“Perpetual_motion a Perpetual Motion would violate the Law of Conservation of Energy thus should be regarded as supernatural.

“Perpetual motion usually refers to a device or system that delivers more energy than was put into it. Such a device or system would be in violation of the law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy can never be created or destroyed, and is therefore deemed impossible by the laws of physics.”

So your device cannot be rejected as not being a supernatural claim. JREF states that a claim to have created a perpetual motion machine is a supernatural claim.

Lois

Then my claim is my toy can generate more power than what is required to start it and keep it running… So it’s not perpetual motion and neither will it be called over-unity by me and neither shall it be supernatural.

Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

Posted: 01 February 2014 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

highflertoo- You are acting like a total goof ! You seem to think that you are some ancient wise guru with the secret to perpetual motion…..now you are going to spoon feed us little snippets of THE TRUTH….because we would simply go mad with all that great knowledge at once. Oh I know, you don’t want someone to steal your great idea and become fabulously wealthy before you can…..or are you the kind gentle genius who shall share this earth shattering discovery…..Get off of your soapbox….You are not the messiah… sorry….you most likely are just wrong…mistaken…..ignorant of proper experimental design which would help to eliminate the errors that can make you look like a fool…..Pons and Fleishman come to mind….but they were REAL scientists….they were wrong….they ignored experimental protocols because they got greedy and power hungry. What do you do for a living ? If you do not possess a PhD from an accredited University then I doubt that you have any chance of uncovering something in the field of energy that has not already been accounted for.

Posted: 01 February 2014 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-03
sine dues - 01 February 2014 07:40 AM

highflertoo- You are acting like a total goof ! You seem to think that you are some ancient wise guru with the secret to perpetual motion…..now you are going to spoon feed us little snippets of THE TRUTH….because we would simply go mad with all that great knowledge at once. Oh I know, you don’t want someone to steal your great idea and become fabulously wealthy before you can…..or are you the kind gentle genius who shall share this earth shattering discovery…..Get off of your soapbox….You are not the messiah… sorry….you most likely are just wrong…mistaken…..ignorant of proper experimental design which would help to eliminate the errors that can make you look like a fool…..Pons and Fleishman come to mind….but they were REAL scientists….they were wrong….they ignored experimental protocols because they got greedy and power hungry. What do you do for a living ? If you do not possess a PhD from an accredited University then I doubt that you have any chance of uncovering something in the field of energy that has not already been accounted for.

You seem to be a believer that Science has already been discovered in all areas of energy.

Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

Posted: 03 February 2014 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

Trust me on this one highflertoo….im not much of a believer in anything. Pragmatic- yes.

Posted: 03 February 2014 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

Well… I don’t know whether or not the Australian Skeptics are affilitated in any way with James Randi’s organiization, but I would venture to guess that IF… IF your “over-unity” device were actually scientifically verified, you probably wouldn’t have to worry about his million dollar prize because you’d be in the running for a certain prize given in Stockholm Sweden…  smile

Posted: 03 February 2014 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
highflyertoo - 01 February 2014 03:11 AM
Lois - 01 February 2014 12:46 AM

Lois

Also

Lois

Then my claim is my toy can generate more power than what is required to start it and keep it running… So it’s not perpetual motion and neither will it be called over-unity by me and neither shall it be supernatural.

Oh, well, whatever you call it, it isn’t likely to get beyond the Australian Skeptics. I’ll be glad to make a wager on it with anyone who will bet against me.

Lois

Posted: 03 February 2014 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-03

Are you saying I can’t pass the AS preliminary test?

Signature 

over-unity
it’s up for scrutiny
hold back the mutiny

2 of 4

‹‹ Nature and Infinity.      2003_UFO_encounter ››