2 of 2
Racist Jokes
Posted: 12 February 2014 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

Yet more family members to disown. Poor old Grandpa Heidelberginsis, from the German line. . 

Und was ist ihr Problem mit Opa Heidelberginsis?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 February 2014 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

3% vocalizes grunt! thinking “damn kids don’t no nothing”

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 13 February 2014 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Thevillageatheist - 12 February 2014 07:35 PM

Yet more family members to disown. Poor old Grandpa Heidelberginsis, from the German line. . 

Und was ist ihr Problem mit Opa Heidelberginsis?

Cap’t Jack

Ach! er war ein schmutziger alter Mann!

Posted: 15 February 2014 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14
Occam. - 11 February 2014 11:34 AM

I think one problem is the attitude Lois pointed out of the woman being embarrassed and not saying anything.  I don’t care whether the person telling the joke is putting down another race or ethnicity or his/her own, it’s up to the listener to do what s/he can to inhibit further junk like that.  I haven’t heard any recently, but when I was younger and someone would tell such a joke, I’d always respond with something like, “Wow, that’s a really stupid joke.  Do you feel so inferior that you have to tell jokes that put down whole classes of people?” 

The funny thing was that while I may have lost the friendship of the teller, often afterwards two or three of the others would agree with me.  I’m sure I didn’t change the person, but if that prevented him/her from telling it in the future, it was worth me doing that.

Occam

Something interesting in this regards http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/without-prejudice/201307/dehumanizing-others-is-no-joke

Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

Posted: 21 March 2014 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2014-03-19

Thank you, I.J., that was an interesting article and I think very appropriate to include in this discussion thread.  I am a bit perplexed as to why the discussion halted after you provided this interesting reference - which by the way, includes other good references within it.  I agree with the article’s premise and think it is an important tangent to explore from the original post.

Anyway, thank you again for your efforts to provoke thoughtful discussion.

I.J. Abdul Hakeem - 15 February 2014 10:19 PM

Something interesting in this regards http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/without-prejudice/201307/dehumanizing-others-is-no-joke

2 of 2