3 of 4
What no Sochi
Posted: 19 February 2014 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, but we’d all be depressed at having our net worth drop back to almost nothing compared to what it was, after he left.

Of course, one of our friends there would have already donated her billion to Cuban hospitals. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 February 2014 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 19 February 2014 08:22 PM

Yeah, but we’d all be depressed at having our net worth drop back to almost nothing compared to what it was, after he left.

Of course, one of our friends there would have already donated her billion to Cuban hospitals. LOL

Occam

Ha, indeed!

Lois

Posted: 20 February 2014 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  464
Joined  2013-12-20
George - 19 February 2014 05:58 AM

The same latitude as Nice? Still, higher than Salt Lake City.  wink And although Sochi might have palm trees, nobody is actually skiing in Sochi. The easiness with which the American public can be brainwashed is simply astonishing. Though it’s nice to see both conservatives and democrats join the forces and share the same enemy for once. Ah, those Russians…

There’s a bit more to it than the latitude, such as the fact that the Putin games cost more than all previous Olympic winter games combined.

Or that the Russian dominated government in the Ukraine is taking the opportunity to try and wipe out any opposition to the country returning to a satellite state of its much larger neighbour.

The Olympics are as much marketing as they are genuine athletic competition and the host country gets a bit of a honeymoon from all those people going, “Wow, aren’t the games wonderful!”

Posted: 20 February 2014 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

What does Ukraine have to do with any of this?

Posted: 20 February 2014 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2013-12-20
George - 20 February 2014 02:45 PM

What does Ukraine have to do with any of this?

Not much besides being at the center of Putin’s desire to resurrect some key features of the Soviet Union such as political domination of the region.

Just try Googling Putin and Ukraine and go from there.

Here’s one from CBC News today.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/how-the-west-and-vladimir-putin-failed-ukraine-1.2543937

By 2004, the Russian president had dropped his early overtures to align Russia more closely with NATO and the U.S., and was set on creating an alternative Russian sphere of influence, in which Ukraine would be a key component.

No democrat himself, Putin was nonetheless still popular at home and he had his administration tutor Yanukovych on how to fix an election.

The fix was in, but it was inept. After the vote, Ukrainians of all stripes gathered at Maidan Square, and in 17 days of highly disciplined peaceful mass protest forced through a re-run of the election that Yuschenko finally won.

That was the Orange Revolution. Kuchma had ordered his military commanders to use force on the protesters, but they refused to fire on fellow-citizens.

The Games aren’t just about sports as we’ve seen repeatedly through their history, for instance the 1936 games that were supposed to highlight Nazi superiority. This is a chance for Putin to appear as a responsible world leader as his toady in the Ukraine implements his agenda there.

And while there are undoubtedly some extreme nationalist elements involved in the protest, inclined to force the issue by a more violent insurgency, Yanukovych himself, having met with Putin in Sochi, seems similarly determined to save his regime by whatever means it takes.

[ Edited: 20 February 2014 03:09 PM by Fuzzy Logic ]

Posted: 20 February 2014 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2013-12-20

Who knows, maybe Putin told Yanukovych to make the most of the distraction of the games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26096362

Neither side would confirm what was discussed during the informal conversation during the opening ceremony in the Russian city of Sochi.

Russia has frozen delivery of a $15bn (£9bn) bailout programme pending the formation of a new government in Kiev.

Mass anti-government protests erupted in Ukraine in late November.

Under pressure from Moscow, President Yanukovych had refused to sign a far-reaching association and trade agreement with the EU.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/20/ukraine-crisis-obama-attacks-putin-over-russias-role

Barack Obama has sharply criticised Russian support for crackdowns in Ukraine and Syria, calling for a transitional government in Kiev and personally accusing Vladimir Putin of failing to respect basic freedoms in both countries.

In his most explicit comments yet on alleged Kremlin involvement, the president used a press conference at the North American leaders’ summit in Mexico to warn against viewing the countries as a “cold war chessboard”, insisting the US was “on the side of the people”.

“You have, in this situation, one country that has clearly been a client state of Russia, another whose government is currently being supported by Russia, where the people obviously have a very different view and vision for their country,” said Obama.

“I think this is an expression of the hopes and aspirations of people inside of Syria and people inside of the Ukraine who recognise that basic freedoms – freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, fair and free elections – are fundamental rights that everybody wants to enjoy.”

Posted: 20 February 2014 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

All I see here is that you don’t like Putin. Really? Russia spent all the money on the Olympics in order to reconquer Ukraine?  grin And for what it’s worth, I think Putin is okay. Kinda even like the guy.

Posted: 20 February 2014 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
George - 20 February 2014 05:00 PM

All I see here is that you don’t like Putin. Really? Russia spent all the money on the Olympics in order to reconquer Ukraine?  grin And for what it’s worth, I think Putin is okay. Kinda even like the guy.

kinda makes sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk0HxDiEkIk

smile

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 21 February 2014 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Eurasian history repeating itself once again.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 21 February 2014 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2013-12-20
George - 20 February 2014 05:00 PM

One more success for his cult of personality I guess.

Personally I think he’s a psychopath for all the damage he’s done to Russian democracy and the wars and violence he’s inspired to bring back the “good” old days of the Soviet Union.

Posted: 21 February 2014 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2013-11-17

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about the Sochi Olympics?  I find them tremendously entertaining.  Of course, I live in Canada and don’t have to listen to Bob Costas!!!  LOL!

These last couple of days have been particularly exciting with the Canadian women’s hockey team beating the Americans for gold and the Canadian men’s hockey team beating the Americans to get into the final.  And both our men’s and women’s curling teams took gold this week, too.

There are a lot of happy Canadians from coast to coast today!

Posted: 21 February 2014 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2013-12-20
Overcomer - 21 February 2014 03:10 PM

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about the Sochi Olympics?  I find them tremendously entertaining.  Of course, I live in Canada and don’t have to listen to Bob Costas!!!  LOL!

These last couple of days have been particularly exciting with the Canadian women’s hockey team beating the Americans for gold and the Canadian men’s hockey team beating the Americans to get into the final.  And both our men’s and women’s curling teams took gold this week, too.

There are a lot of happy Canadians from coast to coast today!

Sorry.

Yah, Canada!

Now back to what a boob Putin is.wink

Posted: 10 March 2014 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I enjoyed the Olympic (Putin’s, excuse my mis-wording) Games.  I liked the skiing events like Alpine, Slalom, Cross Country, etc.  You know, events where they actually stand up. smile  The opening ceremony, and closing were good, I enjoyed them.  The ceremonies happened near Mount Caucasus, so was it a Caucasian Olympics?

And, as Putin, that new Russian Czar, says so, I certainly and have completely forgot about the gays going to the Olympics in protest, Pussy Riot getting horse whipped, and that other country that Putin has invaded by the Black Sea.  I certainly would not mention those topics during this thread, of course not Czar Putin.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 10 March 2014 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

usatsi_7753188.jpg?w=1000&h=619

The 14 most fascinating facts about the final 2014 Winter Olympics medal count
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/olympics-medal-count-russia-sochi-united-states-most/
By CHRIS CHASE   February 23, 2014

Final Count   gulp
athlete-medal-count2.jpg?w=1000

And apparently no major incidents, a success   smirk

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 10 March 2014 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
jump_in_the_pit - 10 March 2014 09:52 AM

[...] and that other country that Putin has invaded by the Black Sea.

Russia’s “invasion” is permitted under a Partition Treaty, signed in 1997 between Russia and Ukraine. Russia is allowed 25,000 troops and right now they have about 20,000. What’s the problem?

3 of 4