1 of 5
Is this racism?
Posted: 07 March 2014 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  814
Joined  2012-04-25

Where I work there are several hundred employees in the building. I’ve noticed that the Asians all stick together, eat nothing but Asian food, eat together, etc. The folks from India do the same. All of them are US citizens or here on work visas, etc.  To me there’s something racist about this but I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe I’m just comparing to myself. If I were to move to a foreign country I would do my best to assimilate to my new home country. I wouldn’t constantly eat hot dogs and McD’s and so on. And I’d want to become a part of the local culture, not surround myself with a “little America”.  Thoughts?

[ Edited: 07 March 2014 04:54 PM by CuthbertJ ]

Posted: 08 March 2014 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  2011-11-04

I view racism as being, in large part, a product of naturally evolved tendencies.  Also, I view it as existing in each of us along a spectrum.  We all have at least a little bit.  But I think that, definitely, putting one’s self in a position to interact with, and experience what persons of other races experience, can help one to be on the lower end of the spectrum.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 08 March 2014 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24

It can be considered racist from a certain angle, like anything can. It’s probably not worth getting too concerned over it, unless it interferes with workplace “harmony”.

Whether we like or not, people will gravitate towards their own.

In modern America, they are mostly free to be themselves without harm. If you lived in any of their countries of origin, in would not be that way!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 08 March 2014 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

You might as well accuse all of us here of being sexists since we are all men—except for Lois who I think might be a woman.

Posted: 08 March 2014 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3253
Joined  2011-08-15

Where I work there are several hundred employees in the building. I’ve noticed that the Asians all stick together, eat nothing but Asian food, eat together, etc. The folks from India do the same. All of them are US citizens or here on work visas, etc.  To me there’s something racist about this but I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe I’m just comparing to myself. If I were to move to a foreign country I would do my best to assimilate to my new home country. I wouldn’t constantly eat hot dogs and McD’s and so on. And I’d want to become a part of the local culture, not surround myself with a “little America”.  Thoughts?

Have you ever seen American tourists in a foreign country Cuth? The first thing they look for IS a McDonalds, that and a church. Try this with your Asian colleagues, walk over, introduce yourself and ask them where they got their Asian food. There are many reasons why they, hell, all of us pretty much stick together at first, eg. The ghettoes of NY, then after two generations assimilation begins and pretty soon only the surname is left. of course there are cultural and genetic reasons too.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 March 2014 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2013-08-29

Hey Cuthbert,

No, it’s not racism. It’s being human. Cap’t Jack said it well.

I work with a guy from Vietnam who’s been in this country since he was in High School. He’s still not comfy with hanging out to BBQ or stuff like that. Some people, maybe ethnic groups, they simply are like that. Doesn’t mean anything “racist”, it’s just a certain comfort zone. There are certain views expressed and jokes made in our culture that are not understood by others, hence making them feel uncomfy. – I take South Korea or Japan as an example. I’ve never been to either place, would like to visit them both, but assimilate to their cultures I don’t think I could. They are so far off my chart, at least from what I know, no way!

I still like Catp’t Jack’s ghetto analogy. Same thing. It takes time. No racism.

And George… don’t call me a guy… I’m a little sweetheart smile

Signature 

“Metaphysical speculation is an expression of poetic illusion.”

Posted: 08 March 2014 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  6159
Joined  2009-02-26

I would not call such behavior racist. I would call that “communal” preference.

IMO racism has to do with not respecting someone’s humanity and the same inherent rights as your rights because of a perceived superiority.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 March 2014 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, George.  I was going to include Michelle, but she beat me to it. and I’ve met both Asanta and Lois and can assure you they are both very bright, enjoyable women.  smile

However, I do agree with your argument.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 March 2014 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 08 March 2014 01:34 PM

Yeah, George.  I was going to include Michelle, but she beat me to it. and I’ve met both Asanta and Lois and can assure you they are both very bright, enjoyable women.  smile

Occam

I don’t. It is my experience that wherever women congregate, men are sure to join the group (or at least try to). No prejudices there.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 March 2014 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

You’re right W4U, but the guys who do are usually the unaware jerks LOL , and the women do everything they can to avoid integrating them into the group. 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2014 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Women need time on their own, without men, to establish the hierarchy of their physical attractiveness so that when men do join them the whole thing becomes a smoother process. (Men do the same thing when they go out and spend most of the time testing their social status by trying to sound funny, rich, smart, etc.) I once witnessed a bridal shower as the only man present (as a “photographer”) and the whole thing was simply unbelievable. I should write a short story about it one day.  grin

Posted: 08 March 2014 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I actually thought I was much smarter before joining this forum. smile

Posted: 08 March 2014 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I think that’s the case with many of us here, George.  This forum seems to attract and keep people who think and write well so when we’re among people who are significantly above average in those skills, we don’t see the differences we do when we are in the general population.  However, that’s not always the case.  There seem to be some here who knew they were extremely superior before and see no difference in their “ranking” now.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2014 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yep. cheese

Posted: 08 March 2014 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 08 March 2014 01:34 PM

Occam

And I hope Beth will stick around also. She is an intelligent person and once she gets her bearings, I am confident she can contribute in a significant way.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 08 March 2014 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  2011-11-04

I wonder why there are not more women on the forum.  Surely there are as many women who think and write well.  Maybe it’s the confrontational orientation, that ususally pervades the discussions, that keeps them away.  Or maybe they have better things to do.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

1 of 5