5 of 5
Is this racism?
Posted: 16 March 2014 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

It’s not only body odor that seems to make the whole “love-thy-neighbour” thing difficult. My friend bought a new townhouse and after an Indian person moved next door, he quickly realized that all the townhouses had joint attic: his home now smelled like curry and there was nothing he could do about it. He tried selling his house, but that showed as difficult as expected. That is, until an Indian came to see the house and didn’t mind the smell at all. Withinh a year all the white people were gone and replaced by Indians. At least here, multiculturalism had failed. Utterly.

Posted: 16 March 2014 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  2011-08-15

Yes, Jack, we are all immigrants or descendants of immigrants, (just like everyone, anywhere in the world is), but for some reason Australian accent today is cooler than Polish or Pakistani (at least according to most women). Why is that?

Well, I was referring to Americans but it’s the same in Canada I’m sure. Hmmm, I always thought it was a French accent, but the Aussies do make barbecued shrimp sound sexy. And yeah, you can expand the whole concept of immigration to take in every human going back 200,000 years but as you know, that’s not what I was in reference to at all. Cultural not genetic.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 March 2014 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 16 March 2014 01:09 PM

I believe it’s the other way around, M.A.  Body odor can be worsened by one’s diet and, of course, by frequency or infrequency of bathing, however, I seem to recall a paper published a few years ago that Asians tend to generate less odor that Caucasians, and that the Caucasian odor is distressing to Asians. 

Occam

Yes, body odor is in the nose of the smeller.

Posted: 16 March 2014 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, many years ago a co-worker complained that, as much as he loved his girlfriend, because she was of Italian parentage and lived at home, she always smelled of garlic.  I could never figure why he was bothered since I feel garlic could be the single meaningful proof of a god because it’s the perfect spice.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 March 2014 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  2661
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 16 March 2014 01:09 PM

I believe it’s the other way around, M.A.  Body odor can be worsened by one’s diet and, of course, by frequency or infrequency of bathing, however, I seem to recall a paper published a few years ago that Asians tend to generate less odor that Caucasians, and that the Caucasian odor is distressing to Asians. 

Occam

Correct, east Asians do produce less BO then any other group, and they are grossed out by European BO;  to be clear I’m talking about south Asians also because OP mentioned both.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 16 March 2014 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Lois - 16 March 2014 11:27 AM
mid atlantic - 16 March 2014 04:08 AM

What if a white person did not want to work around Asians, because that white person is offended by the Asians’ nasty body odor? Would that be racist?

Yes, but the way to handle that is for you to find some other work. Other people might not be crazy about your nasty body odor, either. So put up, shut up, or find other work. There must be SOMETHING you could do that doesn’t require any human contact.

Lois

Its not a real life problem for me.

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2014 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_odor

There are demonstrable biological differences in body odor among different racial groups - regardless of diet, bathing, disease, etc. As anti-progressive as it may be, it follows that the old insults about {insert whoever here} smelling bad are not just fantasy based intolerance.

The main question is whether this is reason for refusing to interact with the people one finds offensive. (If one has other options, of course.) Its going to be very hard to convince people that finding another racial group unappealing because of their biology is not racist behavior. I think its safe to say many people would find it hurtful.

Ultimately, what are the boundaries of “multiculturalism”?

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2014 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 16 March 2014 01:11 PM

It’s not only body odor that seems to make the whole “love-thy-neighbour” thing difficult. My friend bought a new townhouse and after an Indian person moved next door, he quickly realized that all the townhouses had joint attic: his home now smelled like curry and there was nothing he could do about it. He tried selling his house, but that showed as difficult as expected. That is, until an Indian came to see the house and didn’t mind the smell at all. Withinh a year all the white people were gone and replaced by Indians. At least here, multiculturalism had failed. Utterly.

Is your friend a progressive guy? If so,was he angry with himself?

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2014 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11

I like the smell of curry. I don’t see why it is objectionable. I also love the smell of garlic.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 17 March 2014 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  2011-08-15

I like the smell of curry. I don’t see why it is objectionable. I also love the smell of garlic.

Same here and I guess my nose isn’t as sensitive as others but I’ve never been able to “smell” a difference in people based on their race (olfactory profiling?) but by their personal hygiene and what they do for a living, e.g. My son manages a kitchen and his clothes smell of fried food as do the African-American, Mexican and Asian kitchen staff. At the end of the shift they all smell the same no matter what they eat.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 March 2014 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
mid atlantic - 17 March 2014 12:28 AM

He was pretty angry, sure. But some people don’t learn: he then bought a condo in a lot worse place.

Posted: 17 March 2014 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Two asides: 
When I was in high school, my group used to meet at the apartment building (in a Jewish ghetto) of one of the Jewish kids on the way to weekend movies.  I was always fascinated by the overwhelming odor of cooking cabbage. 

My company was in the process of licensing some of our products to a French company.  I was assigned to pick up three of their chemists from the air terminal, get them checked in to a motel, then take them to our labs.  It was a cold rainy day, but I still rolled down the windows.  Even after eight days backpacking in Yosemite (sp?) my seven friends didn’t generate anywhere near as much odor as those three French chemists did.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 March 2014 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

G’day mates! (I say sexily.)

I think you are all right.  We are nowhere near being in a post-racial society, but in the broad expanse of history, we appear to be moving in that direction.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 18 March 2014 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 17 March 2014 04:53 AM
mid atlantic - 17 March 2014 12:28 AM

He was pretty angry, sure. But some people don’t learn: he then bought a condo in a lot worse place.

Well then, he’s a progressive. LOL

Signature 

5 of 5