2 of 2
debunking the myth of physical resemblance reincarnation
Posted: 06 June 2014 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
BugRib - 06 June 2014 03:13 PM
TimB - 05 June 2014 07:10 PM

I once got my picture taken with a guy that looked exactly like Jimmy Carter, (except he was shorter than JC).  He did not claim any relation. And he was not a reincarnation, as Jimmy is still alive.

Maybe he really was the reincarnation of Jimmy Carter, and he had traveled back in time from the future!

Using Christian apologetic logic:  Prove me wrong!  Until you can do that, it’s just as reasonable to believe it as not to believe it!

Now that’s the kind of thinking I can appreciate!  From this we can deduce, either that we humans will become shorter in the future, OR that travelling back in time, makes one shorter.  If the latter is the case, then travelling forward in time, would presumably make one taller.  In this case, the NBA would, no doubt, fund time travel research, so that they could send scouts back in time to recruit players.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 06 June 2014 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

The NFL already tried it. Didn’t work.

Drew-Brees-RBHayes-Final.jpg

Rutherford B. Hayes and Drew Brees

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 06 June 2014 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2014-03-18
TimB - 06 June 2014 03:32 PM
BugRib - 06 June 2014 03:13 PM

Maybe he really was the reincarnation of Jimmy Carter, and he had traveled back in time from the future!

Using Christian apologetic logic:  Prove me wrong!  Until you can do that, it’s just as reasonable to believe it as not to believe it!

Now that’s the kind of thinking I can appreciate!  From this we can deduce, either that we humans will become shorter in the future, OR that travelling back in time, makes one shorter.  If the latter is the case, then travelling forward in time, would presumably make one taller.  In this case, the NBA would, no doubt, fund time travel research, so that they could send scouts back in time to recruit players.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

Posted: 06 June 2014 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
TimB - 06 June 2014 03:03 PM
Lois - 06 June 2014 09:25 AM
TimB - 05 June 2014 07:10 PM

I once got my picture taken with a guy that looked exactly like Jimmy Carter, (except he was shorter than JC).  He did not claim any relation. And he was not a reincarnation, as Jimmy is still alive.

You haven’t heard of dopplegangers and wraiths?  rolleyes

Sure, but Jimmy’s doppelganger was working at a gas station in the middle of nowhere, Texas.  Maybe, the doppelganger eventually caught up with, and replaced Jimmy, hence the penchant for doing carpentry work for poor people, but surely, Rosalyn would have noticed the height difference.

Ha! Maybe.

Posted: 07 June 2014 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
DarronS - 06 June 2014 05:21 PM

Ah, but this supports the concept.  Hayes was 5’9” before he became the 6 foot person that we now know as Drew Brees, after only about 150 years of time travel.  The NBA could go back to around the birth of Jesus, and recruit persons who would be in the 8 foot range when they arrive in our time continuum.

Side note: We can expect the disappearance of Drew Brees soon, as it will be necessary for him to return to his original time to live out his life and become POTUS.

Notes to self: 1) Consider whether only persons who have been reincarnated can survive the rigors of time travel. 2) Investigate the possibility that Sasquatch is actually a small low level primate that was accidentally transported from around 10,000 B.C.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 June 2014 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
TimB - 07 June 2014 02:35 PM

Ah, but this supports the concept.  Hayes was 5’9” before he became the 6 foot person that we now know as Drew Brees, after only about 150 years of time travel.  The NBA could go back to around the birth of Jesus, and recruit persons who would be in the 8 foot range when they arrive in our time continuum.

Side note: We can expect the disappearance of Drew Brees soon, as it will be necessary for him to return to his original time to live out his life and become POTUS.

Notes to self: 1) Consider whether only persons who have been reincarnated can survive the rigors of time travel. 2) Investigate the possibility that Sasquatch is actually a small low level primate that was accidentally transported from around 10,000 B.C.

Everyone who is taller than 5’ 9” was 5’ 9” before they reached their final height. Everyone has reached and passed every milimeter on the scale on the way to their final height. No time travel necessary.

Posted: 07 June 2014 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Lois - 07 June 2014 10:29 PM
TimB - 07 June 2014 02:35 PM

Everyone who is taller than 5’ 9” was 5’ 9” before they reached their final height. Everyone has reached and passed every milimeter on the scale on the way to their final height. No time travel necessary.

Thank you Lois, for engaging in thoughtful discussion of this groundbreaking theoretical topic.  You are certainly correct that Hayes/Brees was 5’ 9”, before he was 6’.  However, note in the two pictures that his apparent age is that of a young adult, and that in the picture as Brees, he cannot be much older than in the picture as Hayes.  He could not possibly have grown three inches, in the time that he subjectively experienced between the two pictures, except by the side effect of travelling forward in time.  When he returns to his original time, the side effect of losing height by travelling back in time, will no doubt take effect, and he will return to his adult height there, of approximately 5’9”.

It does occur to me, that the NBA recruiters who travel back in time, 2000 years, will have a significant challenge, in dealing with the people of the time, in that the backward time travel effect of losing height, will result in the recruiters, themselves, being only about two feet tall, when they reach that remote historical period.  Thus they should not attempt to recruit from Ireland, as they would be easily mistaken as leprechauns.

[ Edited: 07 June 2014 11:28 PM by TimB ]
 Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2014 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

And Lois, if you are having difficulty, making sense of my posts, in this thread, just consider that I may be channeling (or having some sort of telepathic mind slippage with) a portion of the reincarnated spirit of Douglas Adams.  (I expect that some weird neighbor child is likely the reincarnation of Adams, and my affinity for Douglas Adam’s body of work has left my mind vulnerable to the telepathic emanations of his genius brain.)

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2014 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnIgBokfG0

oops . . .

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 25 June 2014 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2014-06-20

Everyone who belives in reincarnation seems to think we come back as other human beings. We could be reincarnated as cockroaches. I wonder if cockroaches will have our faces.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 25 June 2014 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2014-03-18
LoisL - 25 June 2014 01:34 AM

Everyone who belives in reincarnation seems to think we come back as other human beings. We could be reincarnated as cockroaches. I wonder if cockroaches will have our faces.

Not likely.  Although I figure it’s more likely than cockroaches coming back with human personalities.

And while we’re on this chain of thought, why couldn’t we be reincarnated as a bacterium or a virus?  What would it be like to be a bacterium with a human personality (a physical impossibility, but hey, what the heck?)?  I think it would suck, nobody to talk to and all.  And what would a scientist do if he/she saw a bacterium under an electron microscope with a perfectly formed human face?  Sadly, their head might explode.

And what if a dog got reincarnated as a human?  Might that human have a dog face?  Again, that would suck for that person.

Posted: 25 June 2014 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting BugRib:

Although I figure it’s more likely than cockroaches coming back with human personalities.

I don’t know about human faces, but I seem to have met a few people who were obviously cockroaches in a prior life.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 June 2014 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Occam. - 25 June 2014 05:03 PM

Quoting BugRib:

Although I figure it’s more likely than cockroaches coming back with human personalities.

I don’t know about human faces, but I seem to have met a few people who were obviously cockroaches in a prior life.  LOL

Occam

I know a few people who are cockroaches in this life.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 25 June 2014 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  3594
Joined  2011-08-15

Ah yes, a new species: Kochroaches.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 June 2014 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Thevillageatheist - 25 June 2014 07:53 PM

Ah yes, a new species: Kochroaches.

Cap’t Jack

Brilliant!

Signature 

2 of 2