2 of 3
Ukraine
Posted: 14 March 2014 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
Lois - 13 March 2014 07:29 PM

What do people here think the US should do about Ukraine and Crimea? What should Europe do? Or should we all stay out of it? What about trade sanctions?

Lois

We should not get involved, there’s no way we can fix it.

In a perfect world, Ukrainian nationalists should have their own nation state, and the rest of the country should just become another oblast of Russia. That seems unlikely to happen, because the two sides will not be able to agree on borders….....remember, Russia actually started in Kiev, so they’re emotionally connected to Ukraine.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 March 2014 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
CuthbertJ - 14 March 2014 10:29 AM

All of this is just nuts. We need to elect gay guys to President and Prime Minister for every major country. They’re secure in their sexuality and don’t need to be such macho f&*(‘s.

What makes you say this? Throughout history, gay leaders have not outshone straight leaders.

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2014 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
mid atlantic - 14 March 2014 11:14 PM

All of this is just nuts. We need to elect gay guys to President and Prime Minister for every major country. They’re secure in their sexuality and don’t need to be such macho f&*(‘s.

What makes you say this? Throughout history, gay leaders have not outshone straight leaders.

How many gay leaders can you identify?

Lois

Posted: 15 March 2014 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, and sex is sex.  I seem to recall a fair number of legislators who’ve been caught seducing their male underlings. (Oh my goodness, was that a pun? smile  )  From all the professional athletes who’ve come out recently, it’s pretty clear that gayness isn’t synonymous with acting less macho.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 March 2014 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Lois - 15 March 2014 05:53 AM

How many gay leaders can you identify?

Lois

A lot. Look up “gay leaders throughout history”.

Signature 

Posted: 16 March 2014 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2013-08-29

There’s not much you can do about things over there. I totally favored the pro-European demonstrations when they started, but the Ukraine is a split nation. Unless there is genocide going on, which I don’t think will happen, I think everybody should stay out of this.

Not sure where I read that, but Russian philosophy, Putin’s philosophy, allows for nothing other. It’s a paranoid philosophy similar to the Roman Empire. You conquer before you are conquered. Russia believes itself to be the savior of the world, protecting it from evil Western capitalism (with which I partially agree). Russia is not Western nor does it ever want any Western ideas. Talking to Putin is like talking to a wall. (Possibly Germany’s matriarch can talk to him, but that’s about it. She’s probably the only person that dude takes seriously, given their pasts, hers in East Germany, his in East Germany.)

Signature 

“Metaphysical speculation is an expression of poetic illusion.”

Posted: 17 March 2014 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  464
Joined  2013-12-20

Alexander the Great?

Richard the Lionhearted?

That’s off the top of my head, any real look at history is probably going to find many prominent gay leaders.

How about Abraham Lincoln?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sylvia-rhue-phd/a-family-history-provides-more-evidence-that-lincoln-was-gay_b_2169482.html

Humans are far more complex than some people want to allow them to be.

Posted: 18 March 2014 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22

What in hell does a leader being gay have anything to do with the Ukraine situation?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 18 March 2014 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

I think the US and the EU will rattle its collective sabers, make a bunch of noise, probably impose a few more ineffectual sanctions and then the whole thing will be ignored. <shrug>

I mean really, what options are there? Large modern military powers rarely (if ever) want to battle other large modern military powers.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 18 March 2014 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  464
Joined  2013-12-20
garythehuman - 18 March 2014 01:25 PM

What in hell does a leader being gay have anything to do with the Ukraine situation?

LOL, who knows, I just joined in a conversation already in motion.

[ Edited: 18 March 2014 03:50 PM by Fuzzy Logic ]

Posted: 18 March 2014 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

See post #11 above on page 1. of this thread by Cuthbert.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 March 2014 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

That’s off the top of my head, any real look at history is probably going to find many prominent gay leaders.

How about Abraham Lincoln?

Ok, I’m calling total BS on this one. This story, because that’s what it is has never been corroborated by ANY of his family members including his oldest and surviving son Robert, the only one who actually made it into the 20th Century and none of his personal papers even hint at an actual homosexual affair with Herndon or any other acquaintance for that matter. And believe me that Mary would have been aware of ANY indiscretion on his part, in fact she was intensely jealous of any woman (including Gen’l Grant’s wife Julia whom she all but cussed out for “flirting” with him) let alone a man. Most of the supposed “evidence” from this article is purely anecdotal anyway which is why most Lincoln historians give it a wide berth. Show me a CDV of Lincoln and his lover in a lip lock and I’ll believe it. That being said, yes there is a former president who might have been gay. Lincoln’s predessor James Buchannon, the only Batchelor in the Whitehouse (he used his nice Harriet Lane as first hostess) was considered a “dandy” and may have had a familiar relationship with a former cabinet member. Look up “Aunt Nancy and Miss Fancy” if you’re interested. oh, and another gay leader from antiquity, The Roman Emperor Hadrian. He had a male lover. Nero was a crossdresser, and a later emperor, Elagabalus was transgendered.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 March 2014 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04
Fuzzy Logic - 18 March 2014 03:09 PM
garythehuman - 18 March 2014 01:25 PM

LOL, who knows, I just joined in a conversation already in motion.

Cuthbert suggested “...We need to elect gay guys to President and Prime Minister for every major country. They’re secure in their sexuality and don’t need to be such macho f&*(‘s.”

So the thread has taken this odd course.  The suggestion seems faulty, to me.  I don’t know whether all gay guys are not “macho”.  I suspect some are.

A better suggestion along these lines, I think, to limit the influence of “macho f&*(‘s”, would be to only elect females as the leaders of nations.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 18 March 2014 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 18 March 2014 05:57 PM

Ok, I’m calling total BS on this one. This story, because that’s what it is has never been corroborated by ANY of his family members including his oldest and surviving son Robert, the only one who actually made it into the 20th Century and none of his personal papers even hint at an actual homosexual affair with Herndon or any other acquaintance for that matter. And believe me that Mary would have been aware of ANY indiscretion on his part, in fact she was intensely jealous of any woman (including Gen’l Grant’s wife Julia whom she all but cussed out for “flirting” with him) let alone a man. Most of the supposed “evidence” from this article is purely anecdotal anyway which is why most Lincoln historians give it a wide berth. Show me a CDV of Lincoln and his lover in a lip lock and I’ll believe it…

Cap’t Jack

Next you’ll be telling us that Lincoln was not really a vampire hunter.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 19 March 2014 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

Sorry to break it to you Tim, but his second cousin’s mother’s husband’s descendant told me just the other day, (we’re related by celestial marriage you know) that Lincoln was actually a WEREWOLF hunter. He has an actual lock of real werewolf hair wrapped in a signed document in Lincoln’s own handwriting to prove it. He tried to sell it on Pawn Stars but Rick turned him down when he demanded a thousand dollars for it.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

2 of 3