For the Love of Bluegrass
Posted: 25 March 2014 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4270
Joined  2010-08-15

A taste of Durango, Colorado.
with a little promotional tip jar hidden in there for a video these folks will be putting together of this year’s 20th Anniversary Durango Bluegrass Meltdown. http://www.durangomeltdown.com

Considering I’ve recently broken through another luddite barrier with this “smartphone” that’s been dragging me into the new decade. tongue wink

In any event, I have become a smartphone-videographer  cool smile  LOL  LOL , and even emailed some of them.  So now I’m hoping to get some video of the after hours pickers party at the Strater Hotel - packed lobby with everybody playing with each other, it’s the hoot’nest scene, I tell yu . . .  the countdown is on. . . . . . .

But, to be clear me’n my smartphone, have nothing to do with what I’m sharing in the following “For the Love of Bluegrass”
those folks are for real and with lots of experience.

A documentary about the volunteers, musicians and enthusiasts who give life to the Durango Bluegrass Meltdown

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1979795310/for-the-love-of-bluegrass?

It is our goal to tell the story of how this little festival began and how, over the past 20 years, it has become a favorite of musicians and festival-goers alike.

The Meltdown is not a big production company event, but a labor of love created by the Bluegrass community. You’ll have a peek into the inner workings of this organically grown festival and meet some of the 100+ volunteers, musicians, enthusiasts and businesses who combine their energy, time, resources and creativity to fuel this …all “For the love of Bluegrass”.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 30 March 2014 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

Sounds like a good time. I’d love to see Blue Highway. Discovered them on an E-Town podcast last summer. Saw Loggins & Messina live back in the day. Great to see Kenny Loggins has overcome his pop music days and is back to writing and recording the good stuff.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 11 April 2014 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
DarronS - 30 March 2014 06:15 PM

Sounds like a good time. I’d love to see Blue Highway. Discovered them on an E-Town podcast last summer. Saw Loggins & Messina live back in the day. Great to see Kenny Loggins has overcome his pop music days and is back to writing and recording the good stuff.

Good ‘ol Loggins & Messina, they were almost the theme music for those fun young years in Wawona (YNP), loved their music.

Yea, everyone is all atwitter about Blue Highway.

Well, Darron, I think I got all the ducks in a row, it’s actually fun, considering all donors are into it, so it’s more like conducting a bunch of willing musicians that corralling the unwilling -  now here I am crunch time when brag’n ‘n think’n are put to the acid test.  seee ya.  grin

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2014 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

For what it’s worth, it was a kick in the ass.  the good kind   grin

I pulled it off.

Not all perfect… But, glad to report I had the food donors and that end down pat, with their awesome enthusiastic support that is :- )

but I did stumble with the volunteer end of it…
Nothing ugly, but way more uncoordinated than it needed to be.
But, it was on me.  I dropped the ball and deserved the extra scrambling it caused me.
I did have a sheet of duties typed up and hurriedly pointed at - but it’s not enough.

I got complacent, past years core of Gr.m. crew had a bunch of old gals (yea my age, what of it : ) moms, grandmas, natural hosts and servers and cleaner uppers,
this was a newer crew, younger, non-foodies - they look at the room full of hungry guests differently. 
Explain things and they sort of understand, but ya gotta explain it, hope they are listening and point once in a while.

Part of the learning curve.  My lesson is that next year there will be a short but substantive orientation… what we are doing… expectations… various positions… communication - get that stuff understood ahead of time instead of on the fly…
{because once the event is actually happening - it’s like going through river rapids, no time for nothing but rowing and keeping to your line best you can, given what’s being tossed your way.}

Fortunately all that was back of house and minor, fixes were easy, stumbles were inconsequential - the food got out, on time, plentiful with smiles all around.

A weekend of living in a world the way I wish the world out there worked…
way over a hundred volunteers, donors, supported by an enthusiastic civic community,
working together to make a huge event be a wonderful memorable experience for all who touch it on whatever level.

Yea baby, that’s my kind of living.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2014 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Darron I need to admit, I’m only a casual bluegrass fan, so don’t know who’s who’s, but I did catch the tail-end of last event of the weekend
Blue Highway at the Henry Theater.  Man they are fun, got a couple numbers on my iPhone vid, but lighting stinks. 
{imagine, no one even screaming about NO PICS ! ©©©}

… oh yea… and rather than being sensible last night and getting to bed as promised, by midnight (since I stayed up too late on Friday), (alarm set at 5:45am) -
I rallied and went back downstairs to watch the real show of the weekend.  3hr sleep was a small price to pay.

I did a vid of a ‘quick’ walk through of the Strater Saturday night,
7, count ‘em seven totally different bundles of musician whaling away, from one end of the hotel to the other…
no “bands” total mixing with each other. 
Mostly ugly dark vid with some very “creative” angles and other effects LOL ,
but the sound is decent, and at least I got some proof of about the greatest pickers/fiddlers party you can imagine these days.

DarronS - 30 March 2014 06:15 PM

You know D. volunteers get a pass to all three days . . .  wink

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2014 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Hmm…

I’ve volunteered at music festivals before and always had a great time.  Keep in touch about that.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 14 April 2014 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
DarronS - 14 April 2014 04:50 AM

Hmm…

I’ve volunteered at music festivals before and always had a great time.  Keep in touch about that.

two shifts and you get the weekend. - but an outsider would need a connection to swing it cool smile 

me I get a few more shifts than that, but I’m special wink
besides, it’s that after hours scene that’s the absolute magic for me.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2014 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I think you need an experienced staff photographer to document the event and provide promotional photos for future events.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2014 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
DarronS - 14 April 2014 11:15 AM

I think you need an experienced staff photographer to document the event and provide promotional photos for future events.  wink

Well, come early 2015 you’ll have to PM me if you are interested.  I only deal with the green room, but I know who to go to.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2014 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

We’ll keep in touch. That would give me an excuse to get up to the Rockies for springtime landscape photos.

Edit: I agree. The after-hours jams are always the best. I spent many a night at Kerrville sitting around a campfire listening to the musicians jam into the wee hours. Magic stuff.

Signature