9 of 9
Equal pay
Posted: 19 April 2014 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3321
Joined  2011-11-04

Really, Why would someone post a clip of a little girl reacting this way (without any further explanation) as a response to the question: “What’s up with this obsessive fear of cuckoldry?”?

It seems exceedingly creepy to me.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 19 April 2014 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Perhaps it’s a picture of M.A.‘s daughter whom he found shares no DNA with him.  big surprise

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 April 2014 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Total Posts:  3321
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 19 April 2014 11:15 AM

Perhaps it’s a picture of M.A.‘s daughter whom he found shares no DNA with him.  big surprise

Occam

O, I appreciate your cleverness.

BUT,

The clip, that is presented as a response to the cuckoldry question, is of a little girl’s reaction, (to???) without any other explanation as to what the clip means.

What does the clip actually depict?

Best case scenario: It is a little girl’s, (hopefully) fleeting, negative emotional reaction to something she just happened to see, or hear or otherwise sense (something that we would consider to be benign). 

Worst case scenario: It is a little girl’s reaction to something that we would consider to be child abuse.

I don’t know whether it is the best case or worst, or something in between.

But assuming it is the best case scenario, it still seems creepy to me, because I can’t make sense of how the clip fits as a response to the question.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 May 2014 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Rocinante referred to this thread, so I went through and couldn’t find anything the fit his reference (to be expected LOL ), however, in doing so I came up with a few comments on older posts:

Quoting George, post #24: 

I don’t know, maybe men are simply better doctors than women.

Wrong.  I recently joined Kaiser Health System and was asked to pick from a list six internists for my first visit.  I immediately chose the one woman on the list because I felt health organizations wouldn’t be as attractive to the best male doctors, female doctors would have fewer outside opportunities.  And, I was right.  She did a great job of initial interview, and also answered my technical questions clearly and correctly.

Quoting Lois, post #89:

Seniority was brought into union negotiations because companies would often fire an employee with seniority for no reason but that he was earning more money than a new hire would.

And teachers’ unions came into being because some principals had the habit of giving young attractive teachers the choice of having sex with them or being fired.

Quoting Macgyver, post #91:

While it may solve some problems, in many cases Seniority encourages Mediocrity.

My father, a machinist, was chosen by the union to be a conflict negotiator (a bad choice because, although an excellent litigator, he had strong ethics).  While seniority was important, the union/company contract covered a wide variety of situations such that seniority could be over-ridden if they were breached, and they often were.  In most companies decisions made are much more complex than just seniority leading to mediocrity.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

9 of 9

‹‹ US gun deaths      The Wealth Divide. ››