3 of 9
Equal pay
Posted: 10 April 2014 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2173
Joined  2007-04-26
George - 10 April 2014 02:43 PM

I don’t know, maybe men are simply better doctors than women.

And how would that translate into higher pay? They didn’t see more patients or publish more papers in this study. By any measure of what a “good doctor” is that would translate into higher pay the two groups were equal. For what its worth, in most studies of patient satisfaction women doctors generally do better than male physicians so there is no way you can support that theory.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 10 April 2014 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

I don’t know about doctors in general, but in regards to psychiatrists, I have, consistently, with a rare exception, held the females in much higher esteem than the male psychiatrists I have had contact with.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 11 April 2014 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2665
Joined  2011-04-24

IIRC, surveys have shown many people prefer female Internists, because they have better bedside manner, and they prefer male surgeons and ER physicians.

As far as Psychiatry goes…. it relies less on scientific rigor compared to medicine or surgery, so it would follow that women probably will excel at it.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 11 April 2014 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2665
Joined  2011-04-24
macgyver - 10 April 2014 10:04 AM
George - 10 April 2014 09:27 AM

The fact is that women who are not married and never had a child (IOW, those who choose a career over being a mom, or at least up to the point of becoming a mom) actually make more money than single men. The rest of them simply work less and choose lower-paying jobs. No mystery here. Go take that pill.

Perhaps you would like to back this bold statement up with some actual facts and data.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/09/01/129581758/

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 11 April 2014 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 11 April 2014 03:23 PM
macgyver - 10 April 2014 10:04 AM

The fact is that women who are not married and never had a child (IOW, those who choose a career over being a mom, or at least up to the point of becoming a mom) actually make more money than single men. The rest of them simply work less and choose lower-paying jobs. No mystery here. Go take that pill.

Perhaps you would like to back this bold statement up with some actual facts and data.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/09/01/129581758/

The reverse pay gender gap in this one demographic (single, childless and ages 22-30) really says nothing about equal pay for equal work.  If you want to make that argument, you would have to show that young college educated women are making more than young college educated men in the same jobs, and that young women who are not college educated but are in jobs such as manufacturing are making more than young non-college educated men in the same jobs.  Can you or George show this?

Also, you would need to explain how it is fair that being married and having children means women should earn less than men who are married and have children.  An obvious answer (for the # of children) would be that women choose to be their children’s primary caregivers (and have less time, therefore, to be in the paid workforce).  But to what degree are they making this choice, simply because men most often abdicate a role of primary caregiver, thus leaving little actual choice to women? 

The biological difference argument only goes so far.  Women produce milk that is good for developing human babies.  But beyond this biologically ordained early developmental role, there is nothing, that I am aware of, that biologically makes men inferior as potential primary caregivers of their children.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 11 April 2014 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
DarronS - 10 April 2014 08:32 AM

You need to join the 21st Century, George. That worldview is outdated.

So which world view is the zeitgeist du jour? Feminism? Thanks, but I’ll pass. I think it is you who has a problem and should probably treat it with some testosterone supplements.

The bill does not say anything about women who work less or choose lower paying jobs.  It demands equal pay for an equal job. If a man and a women have similar qualifications and have equal jobs they should be paid the same. It doesn’t matter if the woman has worked less in the past or if other women choose to work less.  We are talking about the present jobs that a man and a woman work at. They should get the same wages or salary for an hour’s or a week’s work. It also shouldn’t matter of some women take lower paying jobs. We are talking about two equal jobs, for the same amount of work, one being held by a man and one by a woman in the same company. Nothing else matters. It also doesn’t mean that women shouldn’t earn less than men overall if there are differrences in their work patterns or hours.  We are talking about equal pay for equal work. Nothing more. So a woman who is working as a clerk in a store, for example, gets the same pay as a man who holds the same job and works an equal number of hours—and should get the same shot at overtime, raises and promotions. It doesn’t mean that every woman is guaranteed to be paid the same as a every man if they aren’t doing the same job for the same number of hours for the same company. Unfortunately, many women have been paid less than men doing the same job for the same number of hours. That is what is being addressed.

Lois

[ Edited: 11 April 2014 08:59 PM by Lois ]

Posted: 12 April 2014 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Why should we get paid the same? In our studio the younger girls make as much as I used to when I was their age. Women my age, however, who have young children, have a very difficult time to stay late or work on the weekends. Why should my boss pay them as much as she pays me since they work less? And the reason why I can work more is because my wife works less (and makes less money than I do) and takes care of our children. Anything else, and you get communism.

Posted: 12 April 2014 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Another think worth thinking about is why self-employed women make less than self-employed men. Are they punishing themselves for being women like white people punish themselves for being white?  grin

Posted: 12 April 2014 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 12 April 2014 06:58 AM

Why should we get paid the same? In our studio the younger girls make as much as I used to when I was their age. Women my age, however, who have young children, have a very difficult time to stay late or work on the weekends. Why should my boss pay them as much as she pays me since they work less? And the reason why I can work more is because my wife works less (and makes less money than I do) and takes care of our children. Anything else, and you get communism.

If an employer pays employees fairly, you don’t get (ooooh scary) communism, you get a form of capitalism in which the employees are not exploited.

If women were paid equitably, maybe the men could work less (in the public workforce) and take care of their children.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2014 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yep, communism. Reeducation people on the biological level. Been there, done that. Doesn’t work. But not worry, the low fertility of feminists an other Leftoids won’t allow them to do damage for much longer.

Posted: 12 April 2014 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 12 April 2014 07:10 AM

Another think worth thinking about is why self-employed women make less than self-employed men. Are they punishing themselves for being women like white people punish themselves for being white?  grin

(Wow, white people punish themselves for being white?  What does that look like?  It seems to me, George, that unlike most people, white, black, or whatever, who are primarily just racist on a subconscious level, you keep yours right out there for you and the whole world to see.  I guess there is a kind of integrity in that.) 

My guess is that self employed women (as a whole) probably make less because most of them are taking on more than an equitable share of home and child care than men do.  Again, is this a choice thrust on them by their children’s father being unwilling to do his fair share of home and childcare?

But, anyway, equal pay for equal work is about women who do the same amount of work in the workplace, who have the same qualifications, who have the same amount of tenure on the job, but who get less compensation.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2014 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
TimB - 12 April 2014 08:09 AM

But, anyway, equal pay for equal work is about women who do the same amount of work in the workplace, who have the same qualifications, who have the same amount of tenure on the job, but who get less compensation.

Doesn’t happen.

Posted: 12 April 2014 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 12 April 2014 07:54 AM

Yep, communism. Reeducation people on the biological level. Been there, done that. Doesn’t work. But not worry, the low fertility of feminists an other Leftoids won’t allow them to do damage for much longer.

Now you just seem weird.  What does “Reeducation people on the biological level” even mean?  What damage are the “Leftoids” you refer to doing?  Where is the communism, nowadays, that they have wrought?  Are you suffering from PTSD from previously living in a totalitarian society?

If, as you insinuate that natural selection will weed out persons who have a different perspective than you, how did natural selection result in those people existing in the first place?  And why wouldn’t natural selection, then, result in those people (with opposing perspectives from yours) popping up again in future generations? (The answer of course, which you have trouble processing, is that a significant amount of human behavior is not hardwired from birth.)

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2014 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 12 April 2014 08:20 AM
TimB - 12 April 2014 08:09 AM

Doesn’t happen.

Tell Lilly Ledbetter that.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2014 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Fuzzy Logic - 10 April 2014 12:32 PM

GOP- The party that time forgot.

We’ve got the same nonsense going on here, one of the first things the conservative government did was cut funding to women’s lobby groups and declared there was no such thing as wage disparity here any more.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/tories-to-cut-off-funding-for-women-s-lobby-groups-1.594392

The federal Conservative government says it will no longer fund women’s groups that do advocacy, lobbying or general research.

The drastic change to the mandate and operation of Status of Women Canada also drops the word “equality” when listing the agency’s goals.

Previous objectives such as helping women’s organizations participate in the public policy process and increasing the public’s understanding of women’s equality issues have been eliminated from government literature.

I’m guessing that if they could, they’d also take the right to vote away from women also.

They’d like nothing better. Giving women the vote just made them too uppity! You can se it everywhere.

Lois

3 of 9

‹‹ US gun deaths      The Wealth Divide. ››