6 of 9
Equal pay
Posted: 13 April 2014 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
TimB - 12 April 2014 03:02 PM
mid atlantic - 12 April 2014 02:07 PM

Men are not biochemically suited for this behavior. Unless of course they’re effeminate men, which means their women will leave them soon.

Yours and George’s perspective on this is better suited to a pre-industrial society with a small population of humans.  Too bad for you that society is unlikely to regress that much in your lifetime.

Oh, and in the actual world that exists today (not your fantasy of a world where all humans are driven exclusively by their levels of testosterone or androgen) there are all sorts of pairings of mates.

A high level of testosterone isn’t sufficient of itself (unless it is at toxic levels) to prevent a real man from bonding with his children and being a competent caregiver.

Men who have testosterone toxicity aren’t much use to anyone, except maybe as cannon fodder.

http://www.oocities.org/musician_in_residence/testosterone.html

Actually what MidAtlantic and George’s perspective is better suited to is an uneducated, mentally compromised society. It’s so much easier to “understand” things if you leave out all the complicated factors and run with raw emotion.  Works every time. Strung out beggars on streetcorners use the same method.

Posted: 13 April 2014 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
Occam. - 13 April 2014 09:02 AM

Quite true, Darron.  One is not allowed to use words like moronic asshole.  LOL

Occam

That is still quite a bit more polite than I was thinking. cool grin

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 14 April 2014 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 13 April 2014 06:09 AM
Lois - 12 April 2014 10:47 PM
George - 12 April 2014 02:19 PM

Men are not biochemically suited for this behavior. Unless of course they’re effeminate men, which means their women will leave them soon.

Exactly right. All the guys I know whose wives have cheated on them are the ones who were the most eager to change dippers and iron their own shirts. Humanism (the baby communism) fails even on the smallest scale.

Confirmation bias.

And you obviously don’t have a clue as to what humanism is. You’ve created a straw man argument, which means you have no argument. You can’t argue any actual points, so you create something you think you can argue against. A cowardly tactic.

Lois

You forgot to mention that George and Mid Atlantic have insulted every man whose wife has a successful career. My wife probably makes more money than both those pinheads combined. They’ve told me I suffer from low testosterone and my wife cheats on me. They obviously have no clue what they’re asking about yet they yammer on as if they have some great insight into humanity. Problem is they are wrong. I have several friends whose wives are the principal breadwinners in the household. Not one of us has low testosterone. None of our wives has cheated on us. We are all comfortable with our roles and proud of our wives.

Pinhead is too kind a word for George and MA, but I do not want to get kicked off these forums telling them what I really think about them.

Yeah guys, I took this one personally.

If you took it that personally….maybe else something is going on there.

Just saying, hoss!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 April 2014 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  3071
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 12 April 2014 04:30 PM

No. Humanism, feminism, communism will always fail because they are incompatible with human nature.

You generalize from a seed of truth to create a grand distorted worldview that is grossly untrue.  You forget that humans have been uniquely provided by nature and cultural development with adaptability.  And included in that adaptability is an ability to modulate some of our baser instincts (at least for some of us).

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 14 April 2014 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
TimB - 14 April 2014 03:19 AM

No. Humanism, feminism, communism will always fail because they are incompatible with human nature.

And included in that adaptability is an ability to modulate some of our baser instincts (at least for some of us).

Mostly, the ones that don’t matter. (I mean the people who don’t matter - leftists.)

[ Edited: 14 April 2014 03:36 AM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2014 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  3071
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 14 April 2014 03:33 AM

You generalize from a seed of truth to create a grand distorted worldview that is grossly untrue.  You forget that humans have been uniquely provided by nature and cultural development with adaptability. And included in that adaptability is an ability to modulate some of our baser instincts (at least for some of us).

Mostly, the ones that don’t matter. (I mean the people who don’t matter - leftists.)

Ohhhh, I am very slightly offended that you think I don’t matter.  I think you matter.

[ Edited: 14 April 2014 03:56 AM by TimB ]
 Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 14 April 2014 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
TimB - 14 April 2014 03:52 AM
mid atlantic - 14 April 2014 03:33 AM

You generalize from a seed of truth to create a grand distorted worldview that is grossly untrue.  You forget that humans have been uniquely provided by nature and cultural development with adaptability. And included in that adaptability is an ability to modulate some of our baser instincts (at least for some of us).

Ohhhh, I am very slightly offended that you think I don’t matter.  I think you matter.

That doesn’t matter.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2014 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
TimB - 12 April 2014 03:02 PM

Yours and George’s perspective on this is better suited to a pre-industrial society with a small population of humans.  Too bad for you that society is unlikely to regress that much in your lifetime.

Oh, and in the actual world that exists today (not your fantasy of a world where all humans are driven exclusively by their levels of testosterone or androgen) there are all sorts of pairings of mates.

A high level of testosterone isn’t sufficient of itself (unless it is at toxic levels) to prevent a real man from bonding with his children and being a competent caregiver.

Men who have testosterone toxicity aren’t much use to anyone, except maybe as cannon fodder.

http://www.oocities.org/musician_in_residence/testosterone.html

Their perspective is best suited to a Neanderthal society. Their “thinking” has never progressed beyond that of primitive man and they prove it with every post. I expect they’re both beating their chests and bleating in triumph right now.

Lois

Posted: 14 April 2014 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 14 April 2014 03:08 AM

If you took it that personally….maybe else something is going on there.

Just saying, hoss!

And, pray tell, how am I to take it when you say I have low testosterone and my wife cheats on me? Especially when you have no knowledge of what is happening in my life?

The “other thing” going on is that you and George are speaking from ignorance and making sweeping generalizations from that ignorance.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 14 April 2014 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

If you don’t want to make it personal, Darron, try not to be the first one next time who makes it personal. I ignored your comment suggesting I should examine my values in your first post, but when you did it again in your second post telling me how I don’t belong in the 21st century, I decided to defend myself. As far as I can tell, a fair game. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t play.

Posted: 14 April 2014 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

The difference is I was speaking truth, you were spouting bullshit. Show me the peer-reviewed studies proving your assertion that men whose wives make more money than them have low testosterone.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2014 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

What, you have a peer-reviewed study to prove I don’t belong in the 21st century?  grin

Posted: 14 April 2014 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

That was an opinion, George. Do I need to explain to you the difference between an opinion and a factual claim?

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2014 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
macgyver - 10 April 2014 09:08 AM

Some of those statements are fairly innocuous posturing but 4,5, and 6 are just knuckle dragging idiotic comments and non-comments.

All things being equal, everyone (not just women) deserves equal pay for doing the same job. Obviously if someone takes off 5 years to do something else and comes back with less seniority that will result in lower pay in some areas of employment but all things being equal pay should be equal regardless of gender or anything else. I’ve never been a fan of seniority anyway so I’m not sure that is even a good excuse. If you’re a new employee and do a better job than me but I’ve been there for 10 years you should get paid the same or more than me because obviously I am not as productive or as valuable to the company or organization. If a man or woman takes a leave of absence and then come back and makes a big contribution they should get paid according to their contribution not according to how long they kept a seat warm.

The problem is that there still exists a moronic attitude that men need to be paid more or that women don’t care about their income as much and unfortunately many of the people in positions of power are the same idiots with that mind set. That needs to be fixed and if it can’t be fixed through education then it needs to be fixed through legislation as imperfect as that fix will be.

It constantly amazes me that Bill O’Reilly can add to his long string of brainless comments day after day and still find a huge audience to listen to him and cheer his remarks.

Seniority was brought into union negotiations because companies would often fire an employee with seniority for no reason but that he was earning more money than a new hire would. That way a company could improve its bottom line with little effort. It probably doesn’t work quite as well with jobs that require much skill, but it does work to make the workplace fairer. The idea of seniority rules was born, to create a fairer workplace where power between management and labor was extremely uneven . There were other reasons behind firing people with seniority, including favoritism and keeping workers from demanding more pay or better working conditions. Seniority rules work in unskilled labor and sometimes in more skilled labor. How seniority works is often a matter of negotiation between labor and management and it is a needed protection to lower skilled labor. When anyone says, “I was never a fan of seniority,” you can be sure that the speaker is unlikely to have worked as a laborer or had parents who had to work as laborers.  Before unions, labor had very few protections. They are always at the mercy of the employer. The seniority system helped even up the odds for workers who were being exploited. The seniority system prevented employers from threatening to fire employees for even asking for a raise or demanding better working conditions. Employers still managed to abuse and threaten employees, but the seniority system gave workers the least bit of traction in labor negotiations. It’s usually white collar workers, professionals and employers who fail to see see the value of the seniority system because they have never experienced the kind of exploitation blue collar workers often did and do to this day.

Lois

[ Edited: 14 April 2014 10:45 AM by Lois ]

Posted: 14 April 2014 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 14 April 2014 05:05 AM

What, you have a peer-reviewed study to prove I don’t belong in the 21st century?  grin

That wouldn’t take a peer-reviewed study. It’s completely obvious to anyone with at least half a functioning brain.

Lois

6 of 9

‹‹ US gun deaths      The Wealth Divide. ››