4 of 4
Sixth Mass Extinction
Posted: 22 May 2014 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 22 May 2014 07:02 AM

... The political arena is the only effective way to reign them in and force their hand.

Cap’t Jack

But Jack, perhaps I am over-generalizing the findings suggested in the study “Theories of American Democracy” that was published recently.  However, to the extent that their statistics are reliable and valid, re: the political arena, i.e., effecting actual policies, changes happen when they are supported by the economically elite, i.e., big corporations, wealthy people, and to a lesser degree, unions (and other mass based groups). Perhaps everyone who is really concerned about AGW should form or join a union or an association that seeks to protect the Earth from us humans (for our own sake).

[ Edited: 22 May 2014 11:59 AM by TimB ]
 Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 22 May 2014 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  464
Joined  2013-12-20
Thevillageatheist - 22 May 2014 10:32 AM

That’s a major challenge though as the 1% are more than willing to spend huge amounts of money to sway the vote in elections and have begun using pet judges like Scalia, Thomas and others to get things like Citizens United through the courts allowing unlimited use of wealth to influence elections. There is no longer a level playing field in the political arena.

True and I’m not denying that but who put them there? Ultra conservative presidents. And who put those presidents in power? The electorate. Now that we have a moderate (he’s by no means a liberal, he just appears that way in front of the right wing majority in the House) he’s hamstrung by conservative justices and congress and it may get worse this Fall. Remember also that all the Koch bros and their one percent buddies weren’t able to use their funds to keep him out. So even though the playing field isn’t level, public opinion can still be used to fight the one percenters. What we really need are more moderates and less extremists. We’re too polarized now with an “all or none” agenda.

Cap’t Jack

I agree, I’m a passionate believer in moderation, which can make it hard to stand myself.grin

Posted: 22 May 2014 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  3057
Joined  2011-08-15

But Jack, perhaps I am over-generalizing the findings suggested in the study “Theories of American Democracy” that was published recently.  However, to the extent that their statistics are reliable and valid, re: the political arena, i.e., effecting actual policies, changes happen when they are supported by the economically elite, i.e., big corporations, wealthy people, and to a lesser degree, unions (and other mass based groups). Perhaps everyone who is really concerned about AGW should form or join a union or an association that seeks to protect the Earth from us humans (for our own sake).

I don’t think you’re over generalizing Tim and we all recognize the role played by the wealthy elite. I was using the last presidential election as an example of the push back by the middle class and lower (economically disadvantaged) class stemming the tide of literally millions of dollars of campaign funds from the Kochs and a few others. Yes they can and have influenced elections with massive propaganda campaigns and still fuel the fires of the extreme right. Remember FI how Carl Rove sputtered on Fox when he was sure that money defeated the popular vote. And yes there are progressive organizations, both moderate and on the left that can and have fought them successfully and will continue to do so. As to AGW how about it CC? Wanna form a national organization with a single platform? I’ll happily join. The labor union helped to get us the 40hour work week, higher wages, safe working conditions, medical care, and a fair contract with the employer. In a like manner, If enough of us stand up, get the real word out to the electorate and embarrass the deniers with facts maybe we can still make a difference and save what’s left for our kids. BTW the kids need to be taught too.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

4 of 4