2 of 2
Dr. Oz
Posted: 17 June 2014 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2901
Joined  2007-04-26

Thanks MacKenzie. That was my error. I realized after posting that it was incorrect to imply that RCT’s are a requirement for EBM. Obviously there are circumstances where it is not possible to do RCT’s because they would cause too much hardship or pose to great a risk to the patient or the logistics and the expense make RCT’s too difficult to do.

Obviously we use the best data available and if the data is insufficient then following EBM practices, any recommendations must be made with appropriate qualifications.

Unfortunately I did not get to see Oz get his comeuppance today. I heard about the impending hearings this morning. At first I was concerned that some star struck senator might be asking him to testify as an expert witness but it was reassuring to find out that they saw through his charade and exposed him for the fraud he is.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 17 June 2014 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
macgyver - 17 June 2014 05:15 PM

Thanks MacKenzie. That was my error. I realized after posting that it was incorrect to imply that RCT’s are a requirement for EBM. Obviously there are circumstances where it is not possible to do RCT’s because they would cause too much hardship or pose to great a risk to the patient or the logistics and the expense make RCT’s too difficult to do.

Obviously we use the best data available and if the data is insufficient then following EBM practices, any recommendations must be made with appropriate qualifications.

Unfortunately I did not get to see Oz get his comeuppance today. I heard about the impending hearings this morning. At first I was concerned that some star struck senator might be asking him to testify as an expert witness but it was reassuring to find out that they saw through his charade and exposed him for the fraud he is.

Try this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QkUe4bMS_8Y

And this

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article571577/Sen.-Claire-McCaskill-of-Missouri-grills-TV’s-Dr.-Oz-about-diet-fads.html

Posted: 19 June 2014 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  523
Joined  2011-09-13

This man is nothing but a snake oil salesman and shows little if any respect for his profession.

Posted: 19 June 2014 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-09-14

Dont know much about him, but he did promote this diet, which wouldnt be very popular in the US.
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/nutrition-plan-will-save-your-life

Main reason why this diet is interesting though is the study it is based on: A survey of 65 rural counties wirh over 350 variables taken into account.

http://www.thechinastudy.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Gd-3CbNoQ

Signature 

Say: He is God, the Unique.
God, the Self-Sufficient.
He does not give birth, nor was He born.
And there is none equal to Him.

Quran (112: 1-4)

Posted: 19 June 2014 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7716
Joined  2008-04-11
mckenzievmd - 17 June 2014 02:59 PM

The opposite of EBM is probably best characterized as “opinion-based medicine,” in which individual clinicians derive opinions about interventions from the opinions and advice of mentors or opinion leaders and from their own experience, and the use of scientific research to inform these opinions is indirect, haphazard, and inconsistent.

Speaking of… one of my sons brought an app to my attention called ‘SharePractice’. In concept is seemed good, they would list diseases and licensed medical people would weigh in on treatments they thought worked best and the reasons why. They checked my credentials when I signed up, and won’t let you comment until your license has been verified. Unfortunately, it also takes Naturalpaths, homeopaths, Chiropractors and all sorts of quacks, and they seem to have taken over, promoting treatments which are totally ineffective and many downright dangerous. I am so sick of going to the site and giving one star ratings to everything, and some of they I have actually commented, “You have to be f*cking kidding me”, because the suggestions seemed to be pulled out of someones ass, made no physiological/medial sense, and seemed to be promoted by someone unfamiliar with actual human physiology or biology. Quacks feeding quacks..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 June 2014 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
asanta - 19 June 2014 09:14 PM
mckenzievmd - 17 June 2014 02:59 PM

The opposite of EBM is probably best characterized as “opinion-based medicine,” in which individual clinicians derive opinions about interventions from the opinions and advice of mentors or opinion leaders and from their own experience, and the use of scientific research to inform these opinions is indirect, haphazard, and inconsistent.

Speaking of… one of my sons brought an app to my attention called ‘SharePractice’. In concept is seemed good, they would list diseases and licensed medical people would weigh in on treatments they thought worked best and the reasons why. They checked my credentials when I signed up, and won’t let you comment until your license has been verified. Unfortunately, it also takes Naturalpaths, homeopaths, Chiropractors and all sorts of quacks, and they seem to have taken over, promoting treatments which are totally ineffective and many downright dangerous. I am so sick of going to the site and giving one star ratings to everything, and some of they I have actually commented, “You have to be f*cking kidding me”, because the suggestions seemed to be pulled out of someones ass, made no physiological/medial sense, and seemed to be promoted by someone unfamiliar with actual human physiology or biology. Quacks feeding quacks..

How can they check the credentials of Homeopaths and Naturopaths? Do they actually have credentials??

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 20 June 2014 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, you can buy anything on the Internet.  I’m sure you can get any credential you want for a reasonable price. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 June 2014 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  4231
Joined  2006-11-28

Yes, there’s even a nascent board certification for “Integrative Medicine.” The value or meaning of specialization will certainly decline if it ceases to have meaning because any group can make up their own specialty and standards without regard to actual science.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 20 June 2014 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
macgyver - 20 June 2014 05:03 AM

How can they check the credentials of Homeopaths and Naturopaths? Do they actually have credentials??

I have no idea, but they asked for my license# before allowing me to post, and appear to have checked to make sure I was legit.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 June 2014 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
deros - 19 June 2014 04:20 AM

This man is nothing but a snake oil salesman and shows little if any respect for his profession.

I’d rather refer to him as “Dr.” Ooze.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 22 June 2014 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
LoisL - 21 June 2014 02:42 AM
deros - 19 June 2014 04:20 AM

I’d rather refer to him as “Dr.” Ooze.

Brilliant! It certainly fits!

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2014 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

A great critique of Oz by John Oliver. This is just too funny

http://youtu.be/WA0wKeokWUU

Signature 

2 of 2