12 of 12
Freedom and ethics (principles of universal morality)
Posted: 01 February 2015 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
StephenLawrence - 01 February 2015 01:52 AM
LoisL - 31 January 2015 09:46 PM

Right. If he wanted to be Frank it’s because his determining factors made him Frank.

Well, made him want to be Frank. With that slight adjustment, yes I agree with you Lois.

The point is our wants are forced upon us. As Sam Harris said “A puppet is free as long as he loves his strings”

Guys, you’re just going back to the tired point that LFW does not exist.  Of course what we refer to as “freedom” has parameters.  The very concept itself suggests that.  Otherwise, ... freedom from what? 

Our wants and everything we do are determined by factors, mostly, beyond our concept of “I”.  I say “mostly” because the “I” adds another dimension of causality.  “I” still has “strings”.  So?  None of this defies a CFW view.  It only defies an LFW view, and that has been said over and over and over.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 February 2015 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5252
Joined  2007-08-31

Hey Lois,

I am still waiting for your reaction on the two questions here.

Signature 

GdB

The light is on, but there is nobody at home.

12 of 12